U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 PM

2,684 posts, read 892,566 times

Advertisements

They are interested in doing that for me for my acting career goals, they said, and I am definitely excited. However, the fees are kind of high for me, and not sure what guarantees I have but I only have literally a few hours to make a decision they said.

For example, the photo fees are quite high and I can just send in photos for free I thought if I know how to take them myself but I guess they want them to look a certain way of course.

But then again, having a talent agent costs money too. Not this much but most talent agents only want to work locally, where as iPOP goes all over the country. So what do you think, does anyone know if it's worth it and can speak from experience?

I know it's only a few hours away before I have to make a decision and not sure if anyone will be able to give me any input in time, but the pressure is on, since it's only a few hours away, and not sure if it's worth the money or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 03:15 PM

89 posts, read 17,611 times
It does not cost anything to have a talent agent. They book you work then they take commission.

Yes you need good pictures. But you are not going to get them from IPOP.
Even if they have a decent photographer they are going to rush you through and move on to the next. So you will not get the same quality that you would have gotten if the photographer actually had the time to spend with you.
They are going to charge you three hundred plus for head shots. They will charge you five hundred plus for a few different outfits. They will pay the photographer $75 per person and they will keep the rest. If you are going to spend that much money on pictures go to a photographer that doesn't have fifty+ other people to shoot that day.

The agents only want local talent because they don't want to have to pay you to travel across the country to work when they can just find someone locally to do it. So if you do attend IPOP only agents in your area will be interested in you anyhow.
No agent that travels there will select a person in Iowa to represent in Arizona for example.
I know they are selling you on the fact that they are bringing agents from all over but agents from all over won't want you anyhow. Only the local agents will. So you should just do it yourself locally.
And by local I mean within a few hours driving.

IPOP gives out trophies for things like "best dressed"
So basically you are paying to enter a pageant that costs thousands and thousands of dollars that is disguised as a talent search.

You have 72 hours to cancel and to demand your deposit back. If you went through with it I suggest that you do that.

Good luck!

PS there are no guarantees no matter what. No one can predict who the client will choose for anything in the end.

Last edited by Summer Rose; 06-17-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 06:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 892,566 times
Okay thanks, I didn't go through with it, and I told them that there are so many options I have to pursue this career that I am not able to choose theirs, that day. I said this before they got to the 72 hour part, and then they just told me okay thanks, best of luck to me in the future.

So if talent agents are not wanting to use actors from other cities, that why do they go to this iPOP convention to check out these unknown actors from all over the world, when they can just stay home, and use talent from their own cities?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, I didn't go through with it, and I told them that there are so many options I have to pursue this career that I am not able to choose theirs, that day. I said this before they got to the 72 hour part, and then they just told me okay thanks, best of luck to me in the future.

So if talent agents are not wanting to use actors from other cities, that why do they go to this iPOP convention to check out these unknown actors from all over the world, when they can just stay home, and use talent from their own cities?
Because the talent agents are told that there will be a lot of talent from their local area attending the event, even if that's not true. They tell them whatever they can to get them there. Just like they tell you what ever they can to get you to sign up. They also give them all expense paid trips, wine and dine them and they are usually put up in five star hotels. So it's a free vacation where they can maybe find some talent from their area that's in attendance.
Also it's usually not the top agent that goes. They send an assistant or an intern that would jump at a free vacation. (It's actually a paid working vacation for them since they are working for an agency that they are representing at the event) If the assistant or intern sees anyone that they think would be a good fit for the agency that they are working for that is from their area they give them a "call back" then get in touch with them when they all get home. But the talent could have just went to that agent at home in the first place.

I've attended events like this one as an "agent" (I am not actually an agent. I was just working for one)

I have also worked on the other side of events like this.

In my opinion it's not the best way to go since you can get better quality pictures/ headshots on your own and send them to the agencies in your area on your own. Saves a lot of money that way.

Keep in mind it is possible that an agent can love some one so much that they are willing to fly them out to work and put them up in a hotel. But I've never seen that happen. No one is ever interested in anyone that is not local to them. Besides if you have no experience you are not worth the risk. So they are not going to pay extra for you. They will hire some one local instead.

So if you want to work with an agent that is on the other side of the country you need to move there.

And I've seen some events get extra shady by not telling the agents where the talent comes from while they are on stage. This increases their B.S. "call back" rate. So they can say people were getting X amount of call backs. But then when they meet the people at call backs they say "well if you ever move to where ever give me a call."
It's frustrating for agents to have to sift through people in this manner. That's why they send the assistants and interns to do it. That and because they have better things to do, like run their own business. Did you actually think that top agents would put their clients and businesses on hold for days as they view a bunch of unknowns? I'm sorry.

Last edited by Summer Rose; 06-17-2018 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 PM

PS Any "big time top agents" in attendance are getting paid by the event to be there. And they are getting paid a lot. They are not really looking for talent. They just can't refuse the size of the check that they have been offered just to show up. So those people just don't care. They never request any talent for call backs. The low level agents, assistants, interns actually do care. But they are only looking for people in their local area. So go to local casting calls. And they're free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or