U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM

18,349 posts, read 3,718,483 times

Advertisements

I miss reading the newspaper in bed, especially on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 05:09 PM

15,849 posts, read 4,966,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I miss Tim Russert.
Me, too. What a terrible loss it was when he died. If he had lived longer he might have been the Edward R. Murrow or Walter Cronkite of our age.

I miss newspapers, too. They used to be THE dominant force in media before TV and radio came along. People would line up at the newsstand to buy the latest issue. And newspapers were packed with extras like comics, sports, feature articles, fashion, drama, music, movie and art reviews, commentary, advice columns, society news, shipping news, weather and crosswords. There was something for everybody even if you weren't interested in current events.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,906,305 times
I've had declining respect for what they've had over there at NBC this past decade or so. I still like the intro, layout, and flow of their nightly news program, better than the other networks in that respect, but the content and political views leave much to be desired. Sorry, but I thought Tim Russert was kind of a stooge, and I can't stand Chuck Todd. Brian Williams kinda ruined it over there too, but I thought he was a good anchor before his helicopter story came out. Even Tom Brokaw was a little weak compared to Brinkley and other past heavyweights from NBC, ABC and CBS, especially Cronkite, Harry Reasoner, Barbara Walters, Mike Wallace, Sam Donaldson, Peter Jennings, Ted Koppel was pretty good early in his career and got stale, even Dan Rather the loose cannon, was a news hound and say what you want about CBS, they are still the most credible of the leftist media outlets today, and have had a long history on being on top of things over there, if they can control their anchors, which has been a problem for them in the past, with Rather.

Not sure if you caught the pre funeral coverage of McCain over at CBS with Bob Schieffer, if not, you missed something good. I wish I had recorded those little off the cuff remarks he shared with us about McCain. Bob Schieffer is pretty awesome and a leftover from a better time in news reporting. Kinda wish they had kept him in the anchor chair longer than they did, after Rather got fired. 60 Minutes is a powerhouse and CBS Sunday Morning is a pretty good news variety type program as well, hit and miss but watchable.

Here's some classic bone head Tim Russert for you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0yQ83xeluI

Last edited by mofford; 09-03-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 06:42 PM

15,849 posts, read 4,966,310 times
I used to work in local TV news, and I can tell you that stuff like this happens all the time. It's really not that big of a deal. And it doesn't mean journalists are bad at their jobs, it just means that they're human just like you and me, and flubs like this will happen on live TV. The important thing is that Russert caught the goof and corrected himself right away, as any good journalist would do.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Crossfire with Pat Buchanan was a great show back in the 80's & 90's. Can't really find many clips available to pick from, or the show ending where the dude growls out....Don't you get caught up.....in the CROSSFIRE ! Here's a nice sampler of...

Crossfire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quVZmJFoBaE

I could take or leave Rush Limbaugh, but I liked the early years of Bill O'Reilly on Fox. The problem with FOX is they are in a state of disarray from the sex scandals and have always been second rate because they won't up their game and compete head to head in the national news market with the other networks. We need new media outlets to cover conservative viewpoints and make new TV shows which are entertaining to watch. Perhaps something which puts out a nightly news show, with real reporters covering national and international events as they happen. These new TV networks should be based in the Midwest & South, who's viewpoints are often under served by the old guard, which are New York and LA centric with their coverage and ideology.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 AM

I think the mountain states need a regional TV network as well, one for the midwest, one for the south, and the other half dozen we already have for the coasts.

Just doing some mourning here, having missed out on this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4qqJBjOl7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnMG4X-mdhs

Old 09-04-2018, 10:19 AM

20,364 posts, read 20,549,751 times
I miss the Town Crier...and the stocks

Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM

8,893 posts, read 2,389,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Sometimes I miss the days before cable when the networks had a lot of money to burn. Top notch anchors, reporters, journalists, columnists, too numerous to mention them all, Paul Harvey on the radio, Howard Cosell on ABC sports. Lots of great TV shows competing head to head, those Charlie Brown specials on CBS, and Wild Kingdom & Disney movies on NBC Sunday Nights. Mini series and afterschool TV specials, movies shown sometimes out of blue like the ABC wednesday night movie, or murder mystery such as Colombo on saturdays. Radio had great DJ's and incredible personalities, and the beginning of FM was so awesome in how much better the music sounded in stereo. And how much better cassette tapes were than 8 tracks or scratchy records.

By the 90s music was going way downhill, but I think TV entered another golden age in that decade with many great shows and the birth of animated shows like Simpsons and South Park. Not to mention Monk, Home Improvement, Roseanne & Star Trek franchise continuing, birth of Sopranos and Spongebob in '99. The best TV decades were the 70's and 90's.
I can still hear Cosell saying "Down goes Frasier, down goes Frasier".

I don't like some of the political avenues ESPN has traveled down the last few years, but I have enjoyed a number of their specials...just off the top of my head:

- The story about Carson Wentz's Dutch Destroyer wristband given to him by terminally ill youth football player Lukas Kusters.

- The profile of Richie Parker...the star NASCAR engineer with no arms.

- The profile of Ernie Johnson Jr and his family...his own battle with cancer, and the loving care he and his wife Cheryl give to their son Michael.

I used to love ABC Wild World of Sports when I was a kid. I actually made it onto the screen on a WWOSP airing after being in the stands at this world record jump and crowding around Super Joe after the jump (in San Jose, California...first 45 seconds of the video covers that jump, but it doesn't seem to be the WWOS footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyWti_Idkk

Old 09-14-2018, 12:04 AM

The thing I don't like about ESPN is how they force the cable companies to pay them more and more, which the cable company passes on to customers. Many people may not want to pay for ESPN, but are effectively forced to buy it so they can get some other channel in the package they do want. To me, it's nice to have ESPN in the package but wish every channel was optional. It would be nice if they just assigned a dollar value for each individual channel and you build your own package.

ABC Monday Night Football Theme, early 70's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-pYT4wldc&t=65s

We need a couple conservative super predators like Walter Winchell, snooping around Washington, New York, and LA looking for dirt on liberals, in the same way they go after conservatives and pursue stories on them. For every Dan Rather, Mike Wallace and Bob Woodward, there should have been a conservative reporter of equal caliber to investigate the opposition.

One of the big obstacles in our market, our local stations get so much money from political advertising, they can shove anything down our throat they want and the local businesses or the general public has a greatly diminished influence on the way the station operates. Conservative stations should be getting half that ad money but there are none to be found. Iowa has become much more conservative than it was even 5 years ago. For each market, I believe the demographics of the reporters they hire, should also reflect the demographics of the market they are serving, with an equal number of men and women working on news stories. Minorities and women are greatly over represented on our local networks and that amplifies the liberal views. That is not equal representation in the 4th estate, they are being impudent snobs as defined by Spiro Agnew and nothing has changed since those times. The 4th estate is every bit as important as the three branches of government, in the way our system operates. The executive branch is the only one left, which the people still have any control over with the vote. Congress hasn't acted in the public interest for decades, and the judicial is reflection of past administrations, takes a long time to change it. How do you change the press?

Last edited by mofford; 09-14-2018 at 12:13 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 PM

Fox News has been the #1 rated cable news channel for 16 years in a row. Fox should have more money to work with than any other network, yet they have 242 network affiliates which show sit-com reruns at 5:30 PM, while ABC, CBS & NBC are putting out the nightly news on a shoestring budget, compared to what they had to work with back in the 70's. Even PBS manages to put out a nightly news program, one segment for American news, and another for world news. If Fox news ratings are that good, they should be able to draw advertisers away from the competition, if they went head to head with the other networks in that time slot.

Fox should be able to hire the best reporters and anchors in the country, and put out a weekend show like Face The Nation or Meet The Press. Also, they might want to interrupt regular programming for breaking news when it happens. They should at least try to make a news magazine show like 60 Minutes or 20/20, and be able to crack a big story once in while, as 60 Minutes has done many times. CBS is never afraid to murder The Price Is Right for any breaking news events. Most of the content from Fox News is talking head opinion/debate type shows, long on talk and short on the hard investigative reporting it takes, and the teamwork needed to gather information on many different stories at the same time. And be able to put an intellectual face on it, like 60 Minutes does, but without the poor autistic refugee whale stories they barf up all the time.

I hung in there a year or so with Chuck Todd on Meet The Press, and couldn't stand his left hook in my face anymore. The only thing of value they have over there at NBC is Miguel Almaguer, the roving reporter guy who covers natural disasters and non political stories. He has such a distinctive voice, almost cartoon-like in how he sounds like a reporter from a South Park episode, lol. I thought he might be from Boston but he grew up in California. He should try and get his own show, maybe try out for Jeopardy after Alex retires. He is in great danger of ending up like Chuck Todd if he stays at NBC. Just like what happened to Dan Rather over at CBS, who was from Texas, so they had to use the maximum setting to get him thinking like Chuck Todd. Such a tragedy to see a mind emptied by that thing.

Last edited by mofford; 09-17-2018 at 12:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts