U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 AM

992 posts, read 269,602 times

Advertisements

The depictions of a post-apocalyptic society do not do justice to what would really be the aftermath. There's a show on the History Channel called Life After People. In my opinion, they portrayed vividly a possible scenario.
I think nuclear war has been played with way too much in recent years. Russia has the Satan 2, which can take out a whole country. It's a path we don't need to explore in books, TV, or movies anymore. When you put something out there in the universe, it has a way of coming back to you. Who knows? We may get ours someday for Fat Man and Little Boy, but let's not hasten that fate, if it is to be our fate. Let's skirt that subject as long as we possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 AM

5,505 posts, read 2,389,121 times
The human race has been through post-apocalyptic periods before. Most notably was the fall of the Roman Empire. Most historians agree that the dark ages started at its fall. That so much technology, law and learning was lost that it took nearly a thousand years to recover. The dark ages is nothing more that a post-apocalyptic society. It happened once before and it can happen again if the glue that holds society together collapses.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM

92 posts, read 19,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
The depictions of a post-apocalyptic society do not do justice to what would really be the aftermath. There's a show on the History Channel called Life After People. In my opinion, they portrayed vividly a possible scenario.
Life After People doesn't depict a 'possible scenario'. It merely portrays the decay of human structures in the event that all humans simultaneously disappeared. Most post-apocalyptic fiction is about people and/or society (ie, human social groups).

Quote:
I think nuclear war has been played with way too much in recent years. Russia has the Satan 2, which can take out a whole country. It's a path we don't need to explore in books, TV, or movies anymore. When you put something out there in the universe, it has a way of coming back to you. Who knows? We may get ours someday for Fat Man and Little Boy, but let's not hasten that fate, if it is to be our fate. Let's skirt that subject as long as we possibly can.
The so-called 'Satan 2' is a delivery vehicle, not a weapon. It can deliver enough kilotonage to 'take out' a rather small country. And? So? Why should one care about a single Russian ICBM when Russia has several thousand nuclear devices and several hundred individual launch platforms?

The idea that writing about something makes it more likely to happen is, of course, baseless.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

7,164 posts, read 1,749,836 times
Quote:
I think 'the Walking dead' tv show portrays what the world would be like if some huge devastation happened (without the undead zombies though), there would be roaming gangs, out to rape to pillage as much as they can, no law, order or organized govt.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 4,101,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Where do creators of such imaginative worlds close to our reality get their inspiration from? Post nuclear war or outbreak movies, it's always a bleak landscape of destroyed cities and overall societal decay.

Since none of us haven't experienced anything like that on such a scale, are the portrayals represented in movies like "The Day After", or "The Stand" supposed to be a mix of ideas? Like pictures and experiences from real world events like the Black Death, the 1918 Influenza outbreak, and the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki magnified?

It's just something that's been biting at me for awhile.
Are you suggesting that one has to have some sort of experience to draw upon to write? Can we not just draw upon imagination and stretch past one's experience? Did Gene Roddenberry have any experience in space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or