U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 AM

7,406 posts, read 3,609,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
valid points.. just dont see the entertaining value of it. unless your a stay at home mom since Oprah when off the air..
Perhaps it’s not entertaining for YOU. I enjoy these shows, and I’m definitely not a stay at home mom.

Different strokes for different folks. I’m sure there are shows you enjoy that other people don’t care for or “don’t get”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 AM

1,208 posts, read 701,365 times
I like watching these shows from time to time, not for the tips in how to renovate; I'm far from handy (although every so often I'll see something and think, 'If ever I get my xxxroom redone, I want to incorporate that idea'). Personally, I simply like seeing a neglected piece of property go from a dump to something beautiful. On the rare occasion I may get wistful feelings ('wow, I'd love to be able to afford to do that') but it doesn't make me feel less worthy, or jealous. I just find the shows entertaining, seeing the transformation.

Not a stay-at-home mom either.

And, Orah went off the air?

Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 AM

4,636 posts, read 2,042,297 times
OP- I would like to sincerely welcome you into the world of rehab/renovating. Go join a Habitat Group, THEN and ONLY then can you truly appreciate the workmanship and dedication it takes to see a project to its charitable end.

For the flippers its primarily for $$. Yet for some, getting ideas from these shows to take back to our group is a gift.

My only skepticism is the Profit these folks taut. I don't think its near as much ...there are way too many taxes and "Oppseys"! that you don't see being accounted for. There are deposits galore just to get the utilities turned on and to have permit fees attended too.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 AM

1,723 posts, read 727,730 times
I like to see the before and after.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM

8,136 posts, read 8,988,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I like to see the before and after.

I do too. I usually watch until they start to do the actual work, then go watch something else and come back to see the "after" results. All the demo and rebuild just doesn't interest me but the "before and after" do.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 AM

5,624 posts, read 1,364,695 times
Home improvement is kind of hip right now, so its no wonder there are shows like this.

From what Ive seen on 'flipping houses' though, that seems to be one big pyramid scam, They have these seminars around here, usually at hotel conf rooms, where people pay to attend and learn how they can get into flipping houses/ real estate, with hardly any money down, its similar to the old Carlton Sheets scam of the 90s, (purchasing houses very cheap, fixing them up a little and reselling for a profit), but with an updated twist.

Old Today, 12:42 AM

49 posts, read 4,368 times
Most of the new ones aren't as good as Bob Villa's old Public TV series This Old House, complete with those funky and hilarious New England accents.

I also enjoy the rel life flippers, like the moron who bought the house across the street, tore it down, and then built a huge house, and it's still unsold after a year, and in what is supposedly the 'hottest real estate market in the U.S.' at the moment. Just another bubble that will draw capital away from legitimate enterprise and then collapse.

Old Today, 04:26 PM

684 posts, read 217,876 times
Hoarding shows are similar entertainment. The hoarders who don't get help soon enough provide some of the before scenes in the flip shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts