U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 05:16 PM

2,283 posts, read 973,698 times

Advertisements

Whats in it to show off how you flip houses and make others feel less worthiness? Seems my fellow co-workers loves to watch these fake reality shows where they flip houses and rebuild them and make decent money, and call it entertaining? Just can see how this is even a show? Makes alot of folks like me feel more useless...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 05:27 PM

418 posts, read 207,427 times
With some, certainly not all, of these shows we get some contruction ideas and decorating tips. As far as the "conflicts" we tune the noise out.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM

7,475 posts, read 3,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Whats in it to show off how you flip houses and make others feel less worthiness? Seems my fellow co-workers loves to watch these fake reality shows where they flip houses and rebuild them and make decent money, and call it entertaining? Just can see how this is even a show? Makes alot of folks like me feel more useless...

The bolded is quite a leap. Perhaps you're feeling insecure, but I don't think that's the fault of the shows.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The bolded is quite a leap. Perhaps you're feeling insecure, but I don't think that's the fault of the shows.
maybe not..
just seeing some of these asking prices after they do their revamping.. i mean i get it buy low sell high, but come on with these prices.. One show bought a house that was in low 40s and because comp was in the 200s they made like 100k after it was said and done, as the rebuild cost them less then 20 grand. would been nice start house for a family that has less then perfect credit.

then they go off about their stories taking field trips, complaining about how much it cost but went anyways. Mean while, just some of us working our tails off while they sit on the couch and let others do the labor for them. Guess ol saying is we dont pay you to think.. approach.

Just stuck watching these shows in the break room, and like WTf people see in this. Depressing..

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 PM

2,559 posts, read 916,994 times
Do you like playing victim?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 PM

7,475 posts, read 3,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
maybe not..
just seeing some of these asking prices after they do their revamping.. i mean i get it buy low sell high, but come on with these prices.. One show bought a house that was in low 40s and because comp was in the 200s they made like 100k after it was said and done, as the rebuild cost them less then 20 grand. would been nice start house for a family that has less then perfect credit.

then they go off about their stories taking field trips, complaining about how much it cost but went anyways. Mean while, just some of us working our tails off while they sit on the couch and let others do the labor for them. Guess ol saying is we dont pay you to think.. approach.

Just stuck watching these shows in the break room, and like WTf people see in this. Depressing..

You're taking it waaaaaay too personally. They're not doing it to make you feel inferior. They are in business to make a profit. They're not going to sell low to someone with less than perfect credit out of the kindness of their hearts. Businesses don't survive that way. And I promise you, they aren't just sitting on the couch letting others do the labor. Being a project manager (which they are in essence) is not easy. And many of them do get involved in the actual labor.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 PM

4,072 posts, read 5,157,873 times
So you expect some handout because they made ďtoo much moneyĒ in your opinion on a house?! How naive can you get? They buy a lot of these houses either sight unseen or without knowing how much work is required, so itís a substantial risk and in the real world people lose money sometimes, too. The big gains on some houses make up for losses on others. Thatís business.

If you think itís easy money, get together some friends and family and do it yourself. Iím sure youíll find itís not so easy after all, though.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM

27,853 posts, read 43,169,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
So you expect some handout because they made “too much money” in your opinion on a house?! How naive can you get? They buy a lot of these houses either sight unseen or without knowing how much work is required, so it’s a substantial risk and in the real world people lose money sometimes, too. The big gains on some houses make up for losses on others. That’s business.

If you think it’s easy money, get together some friends and family and do it yourself. I’m sure you’ll find it’s not so easy after all, though.
This. If flipping houses were such "easy money," everyone would do it! First, you have to have the cash to buy a fixer - since most of those don't even offer financing. And where I live (Bay Area), that means coming up with at LEAST $600-800K in CASH for something in terrible condition. Then you have to oversee the renovations, hire and pay contractors, keep to a certain budget, work with realtors when it's time to sell, etc.

This is work just like any other job, plus the added difficulty of having money to invest & take the risk of it not paying off. Lots of people thought this would be easy (and purchased foreclosures) back when our housing market crashed, and ended up selling before it was fully renovated... ever hear of the term "money pit?" Watch the old movie with Tom Hanks, lol.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:25 PM

27,853 posts, read 43,169,097 times
As for why people watch these, it's a form of voyeurism like any other reality show. I'm not really into the flipping shows, but do love me some House Hunters! It's just fun to see inside the homes, compare what you can get for how much where, and guess which one they'll ultimately choose. I like to put myself in their shoes, and give my own commentary (inside my head) along the way... although usually I end up yelling things like "ARE YOU CRAZY? I could never get anything this cheap in the Bay Area, and you're complaining that the granite counters aren't the RIGHT COLOR?? Brats."

Also, like someone else pointed out, it's good for decorating ideas if you do own a home. If/when I ever have a house to renovate, I've already learned what I do and do not like/need because of these programs.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 PM

valid points.. just dont see the entertaining value of it. unless your a stay at home mom since Oprah when off the air..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts