U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 AM

307 posts, read 350,187 times

Advertisements

Think about what happened to MySpace.

Or Bebo.

Or even any of the other social media websites that turned into cyber tumbleweeds.

The day will come for Facebook and Instagram, and even Snapchat lately does not seem to be as popular as it was three to four years ago.

I'm just wondering if people finally grow tired of all the Facebooks and Instagramming, will people even bother switching to the next service, if there even is a service?

We all know about how social media can be corrosive, toxic and a breeding ground for narcissism/narcissists or trolls, or even racists and those who espouse hateful or negative opinions.

I'm just wondering how long it can all last, if everything is temporary, particularly the material...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:18 PM

5,428 posts, read 1,804,265 times
In each case you mention as failed, it was because people moved to another platform, not because those disappeared and eventually something else came along.

Social media needs to evolve and grow up. So far, it's at the fingerpainting stage and not very good at it. But in general, rapid, widespread connection made up of defined individuals is a worthwhile endeavor.

Old Today, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 2,001 times
Hail naw, not me at least... I'm 22 and last time I was on Facebook in 2017 or 2018, to delete my account, it was pretty much dead as a doorknob. And I had about 345 'friends' on there, btw...

The only people who still go there on a daily basis are just old folks, SJWs and hipsters. I'm surprised people are still talking about Facebook in 2019. Most people don't even go there to socialize and meet new people. The only thing Facebook is good for is half-n ked p rn.

As for Instagram, the only reason why I have one is because everybody on Club Penguin Rewritten has one and I use it just to show people what I look like when I have to. Snapchat? I remember hearing a lot about it from 2013 - 2017, but not so much anymore. Everybody's on YouTube now. I practically live there.

Overall, I think social media is overrated and a waste of time. It's only good to show off. I remember way back in the Late 00's when MySpace was alllll the rage, my schoolmates literally forced me to make an account one day in the Fall of 2008, and I STILL didn't get what was so great about it. Everyone acted like Jesus was on there. Sure enough, MySpace died by the beginning of 2010 and everyone migrated to Facebook.

I signed up in early 2010 and completely lost interest by early 2012. I abandoned my account but came back every once in a while mostly just to see how much my acquaintances grew up. After several years, I had to delete my account because it was depressing seeing my acquaintances with a job, a significant other, and some with children, while MY life hasn't changed much since the beginning of High School...

And also because my selfies were getting repetitive and I was losing relevancy as High School became more distant in the past.

Last edited by EmoBoySwag496; Today at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or