U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 175,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
It's a different type of humor, more urban. But yeah if "FRIENDS" was your fav then i wouldn't expected you to like any of the above. Different audience and demographic. I'm suprised you just didnt NOPE the entire list.

Well I enjoy various types of humor. It's the people delivering the jokes that ruin it for me.

IE: Martin wasn't a bad show. It just took to long for me to be funny.

The Wayans Bros had some funny episodes, and goofy episodes.

Different World first season was good. After that it got to soapy. It had too much drama forced into
each episode.

In Living Color started funny and fresh. But the humor got to weird and over played for me.

How about these shows?
Mad About You
Family Matters
The Nanny
Married With Children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,506,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Seinfeld & Fresh Prince, in no particular order.

I didn't really like Friends: it certainly had funny moments, but the comedy often took second place behind a lot of drama, relationships, and bullsh*t about feelings. The characters were also too ordinary with not enough quirks (perhaps with the exception of Joey & Phoebe). Similar problems with Everybody Loves Raymond.
Haha, pretty much sums up how I feel. I was just going to post on Seinfeld and Fresh Prince when I saw your post. I'd put Seinfeld slightly ahead of Fresh Prince. I still watch their reruns if I see them on TV. I didn't like Friends either. I never understood the big draw for that show. Maybe physically attractive characters? I watched parts of it occasionally if someone else was watching and didn't really find it that funny. I also didn't care for all the drama like you stated. I hardly watch Everybody Loves Raymond though I do remember it being on. Just to add after seeing the post above me, Family Matters was a good show too. Urkel was hilarious.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:59 AM

608 posts, read 257,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Seinfeld & Fresh Prince, in no particular order.

I didn't really like Friends: it certainly had funny moments, but the comedy often took second place behind a lot of drama, relationships, and bullsh*t about feelings. The characters were also too ordinary with not enough quirks (perhaps with the exception of Joey & Phoebe). Similar problems with Everybody Loves Raymond.
The Fresh Prince certainly had enough episodes about emotions and feelings.

Series like Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond succeed because the characters are rather normal, which means the viewers can relate to the characters and/or the things they experience. Darn good writing also helps.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:10 AM

1,447 posts, read 573,781 times
I believed that it did come on Friday nights.I don't know what it was about it..just a nice show to watch.
Another one I liked was China Beach but that was in the late 80's but it ended in 91 I believe.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:56 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,337,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First place: "Northern Exposure" -- absolutely no doubt about that!

Below that, in no particular order:

"Christy"
"ER" -- through Season 8, anyway, until Anthony Edwards left the series
"Quantum Leap"

My husband would vote for "Star Trek Next Generation" (although this began in 1987, it ran until 1994) for "ER", btw.

As far as why, in every single case, it was because of interesting characters and involving and well-written storylines -- plus in the case of "Northern Exposure" and "Christy", we enjoyed the rural settings.

In fact, the five shows above (and sometimes, too, a "Wings/"Cheers" combo) were the ONLY shows my husband and I watched in the 90's.
Oh my goodness, YES!!!!

Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,337,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PardonTheInterruption View Post
Did you guys ever watch Martin, New York UnderCover, The Wayans Bros, Malcolm and Eddie, One-on-One or A Different World? Oh yeah and of course...
In Living Color
I watched this religiously!

Old 08-28-2019, 09:51 PM

1,192 posts, read 175,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Just to add after seeing the post above me, Family Matters was a good show too. Urkel was hilarious.
Family Matter was good, until it became the "Urkel Show". When all the episodes starting revolving around him, they were sickening to watch.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

75 posts, read 13,150 times
Friends is my favorite 90s television sitcom. For me, the actors are all likeable, and the close knit group of friends treated each other as family. Friends turns 25 at the end of September!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or