U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 08:42 AM

2,561 posts, read 1,421,964 times

Advertisements

Fresh Prince, Friends, Full House

I didn’t want a ton of sitcoms since I was a kid. Mostly watched Nickelodeon or Disney stuff lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,642,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Did you?

Yes

Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 AM

17,810 posts, read 4,960,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Isaid 80s
You said late 80s.

82 isn't the late 80s.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:53 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,121,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Beverly Hills, 90210

Family Matters
Perfect Strangers
Night Court
Full House
Those bolded are considered dramas, not sitcoms. Perfect Strangers and Night Court had the majority of their run in the '80s, so I consider those '80s shows.

There were just SO many sitcoms in the '90s though, that despite the move towards single camera ones without a studio audience and laugh track, this decade probably lends its image more than any other does. In addition to the top tier ones, you had great mid-tier ones like Dave's World, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Suddenly Susan, Veronica's Closet, Spin City, Jesse, Nurses, John Larroquette, NewsRadio, Major Dad, Evening Shade, Doogie Howser M.D., Living Single, Blossom, Dream On, Unhappily Ever After, and Dinosaurs.

But you can't deny the top ones: Seinfeld's "all about nothing", Frasier's radio setting in Seattle, Roseanne's blue collar family, the crowded big city living of Full House, DINK and young child living of Mad About You (SO many NYC-set series on NBC in particular), the sports theme of Coach,fantasy of Sabrina, The Teenage Witch (the '90s Bewitched basically), the African-American Chicago family of Family Matters, the rap/actor star of The Fresh Prince, and the Mary Tyler Moore for the '90s setting of Murphy Brown.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 PM

1,848 posts, read 953,157 times
Married with Children, Melrose Place, Prince of Belair

I often get flashbacks of Peg in England when the customs officer asks her
"Do you have anything to declare?" with a thick English accent.
Then Peg says "Yes, my husband is an idiot".

As for Fresh Prince, my favorite scene was in that Tom Jones lip-sync scene.
That look on Will's face when he almosts breaks the 4th wall was an instant 90s classic.

Melrose Place was awesome for the 1990s yuppie lifestyle, soap opera plots, and beatuiful women of CA.
I watched it every Wednesday. The screenplay was very good for its time.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:57 PM

26,838 posts, read 34,353,243 times
Married with Children.
Mad About you.
Nash Bridges.
News Radio.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,944,085 times
Home Improvement. It was funny as heck, and so relateable to our family; mostly boys( dad included) always doing man stuff, there was never a point in my life where we didn't have a classic car, and dad was always Mr. Fix it

Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM

13,167 posts, read 7,020,408 times
Mmmmmm, difficult to say because I taped so much and then, there is stuff I am watching now, like Picket Fences, that I ask myself, where was I when that was showing. The answer is that it didn't have a slot on the tape machines, so I never saw it. I only watched the things that had a tape slot.

Another thing of that issue is the community on the Net at the time that surrounded a particular show. I was heavy into Melrose Place and then all of us would go to the mailing list and talk about that episode endlessly. Without that, many a show would be much more dreary.

Sitcom wise, in answer to the question, I would say Empty Nest when it was part of the Saturday night line up with Golden Girls and 1st season Nurses and Kristi McNichol was on it. Without that mixture, though, it fell pretty well down the tubes.

La Femme Nikita for the hour long show. True, we were heavily net dependent there as well but La Femme Nikita can survive without the Net. I have the series and it is the pick, from time to time, on DIE SPY Tuesday.

Buffy and Charmed fall into fav shows as well. Why, however, do they not hold the Fav slot? With Charmed, three reasons. First of all, like most shows, they move from hot single witches to getting married and since marriage is not in my cards at all, that rather drags on me. Secondly, now that I have the series and I see how the end credits really run, I realize that watching the show on the WB, in the 90s, was really quite a jerk around. Finally, I think the stories just became too complicated in one season or another.

That's one thing with a series, what's its rewatchability? Can I pick an episode out of any season, have enjoyment, have a sense of closure or do I have to watch the entire odyssey in order and all of it. That's why, to me, DS9 is better than B V (but I have both).

With Buffy, well, it is suppose to be fantasy, not real life. The last two seasons were positively the pits (never even bothered with the last), but they were heading that way before then.

I am sure there are quite a few other shows from then, I certainly taped a lot, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-28-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,655,785 times
I loved I’ll Fly Away which was a drama set in a small southern town.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:08 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,002,374 times
Seinfeld

Seinfeld is the 90s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts