Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 09:36 AM

22 posts, read 30,986 times

Advertisements

Shows from the 70's and 80's were not innocent or benign. We just don't remember that.

OP I'd try having the kids watch The Brady Bunch. It's on Hulu and we've actually been watching it during this homebound time. It's one of the only shows that doesn't draw on anything dark or depressing, and I've really grown to appreciate the decent acting by most of the kids (as well as the positive depiction of the dad compared to sitcoms today). It's a fun dose of wholesomeness.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
12 Bizarre Things That Actually Happened On Little House

I'm dyin' over here
Very cool. I'd forgotten about some of those.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,832 times
I can't watch that All In The Family episode where the rapist threatens Edith. I read somewhere that the cast complained
and protested about that episode when they read the script. The producers felt maybe Edith will encourage other women to come forward and report assaults. Too uncomfortable to watch.

There was also an AITF episode where Archie caused a slow box boy to be fired. They used the word "retarded" back then in shows instead of "special needs."

I think there was A Partridge Family episode (later one) where Lori went out with a "fast" guy. Something like that. Her
mother asked her if she was okay. Didn't Fonzie save Joanie (of course) from being attacked in her classroom?

Family Ties had that episode where Alex needed help getting over losing a friend in a car accident.
Michael J. Fox -

Old 05-14-2020, 04:26 AM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
The 'Golden Girls' When Betty White Banged A Guy To Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEPgGg78viU

lol

Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Well, I think we are rather talking apples and changing horses midstream here in that Golden Girls and Andy were comedies but Little House was drama.

Personally, I think the only episode of Little House I ever saw was where Don Knight (Fletcher from The Immortal or the TV version of Hardy Kreuger) guest starred, Pa was at a mining camp, and at the end, Don accidently gets blown up. That's rather dark in itself.

As to "teachings" from TV shows, a few examples, here and there. I am sure I probably picked up some from Bonanza or Gunsmoke. Then there is the one from "The Jeffersons" where George returns to his old neighborhood at Christmas time and leaves a gift each year for a not so well off family.

Curiously enough, that sort of falls into my concept of "Give once more to the one before." It's from a Conan comic, this one https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8osAA...8Y/s-l1600.jpg
but I have adopted it as my quality of mercy. That is, as someone once did for me, I shall do now for you.

Then there a few teachings from classic Hawaii 5-0, those small little details in this or that story. In "In the center ring, MURDER" (or a Won Fat episode of a similar title), Danny and perhaps Chin return from visiting the Cuban high wire act. Danny said they seemed nervous, even more than opening night jitters.

Steve says, "Well, Danny, you have to remember where they are from. In their home (Communist, "Warsaw Pact", Cuba), a visit from the State Police usually means the end of the line.".

Similarly in an episode of "The FBI", the inspector and crew stop by to interview an immigrant owned deli on Sunday. The owner says, "But this is a food store! We are permitted to be open on Sunday!". The Inspector smiles and goes on from there but once again, where the owner comes from, visits like that from the State Police are quite known.

HENCE, for the teaching of the episode, intended or not, appreciate where people come from, what they may remember in their personal history, and that they may not see things the way you do.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, I think we are rather talking apples and changing horses midstream here in that Golden Girls and Andy were comedies but Little House was drama.

Personally, I think the only episode of Little House I ever saw was where Don Knight (Fletcher from The Immortal or the TV version of Hardy Kreuger) guest starred, Pa was at a mining camp, and at the end, Don accidently gets blown up. That's rather dark in itself.

As to "teachings" from TV shows, a few examples, here and there. I am sure I probably picked up some from Bonanza or Gunsmoke. Then there is the one from "The Jeffersons" where George returns to his old neighborhood at Christmas time and leaves a gift each year for a not so well off family.

Curiously enough, that sort of falls into my concept of "Give once more to the one before." It's from a Conan comic, this one https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8osAA...8Y/s-l1600.jpg
but I have adopted it as my quality of mercy. That is, as someone once did for me, I shall do now for you.

Then there a few teachings from classic Hawaii 5-0, those small little details in this or that story. In "In the center ring, MURDER" (or a Won Fat episode of a similar title), Danny and perhaps Chin return from visiting the Cuban high wire act. Danny said they seemed nervous, even more than opening night jitters.

Steve says, "Well, Danny, you have to remember where they are from. In their home (Communist, "Warsaw Pact", Cuba), a visit from the State Police usually means the end of the line.".

Similarly in an episode of "The FBI", the inspector and crew stop by to interview an immigrant owned deli on Sunday. The owner says, "But this is a food store! We are permitted to be open on Sunday!". The Inspector smiles and goes on from there but once again, where the owner comes from, visits like that from the State Police are quite known.

HENCE, for the teaching of the episode, intended or not, appreciate where people come from, what they may remember in their personal history, and that they may not see things the way you do.

So wholesome. I love it. It's a humble reminder of our humanity.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Spoiler alert:

Little House Gets Blow'd Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_hzVmkUoc

I love a good music montage

Old 06-29-2020, 03:14 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Hulu removed an episode of the Golden Girls because of a blackface because they had cosmetics masks moment to virtue-signaling who got lots of backlash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5rDuro6s9s

Old 10-09-2020, 09:53 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Morphine addiction... ghosts... clown killers... Nellie's recording machine... elderly Colonel Sanders living in the 1800's...

To me the most unrealistic episode was about a big farm boy who was not doing well in school and causing a lot of trouble in the classroom. He didn't get along with the teacher and apparently his father didn't want him to be there.
Anyway, the female school teacher pays a home visit to them on their remote farm. Really? I just can't see a single lady visiting the home of two hostile men in the country by herself. It didn't seem very safe or realistic.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:28 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Golden Girls was a funny show, but sometimes the writing was moronic. I remember the episode where the gals wanted Rose to come off her tranquilizers and threw them in the trash. Obviously, this is not how you come off of benzos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts