U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:37 AM

1,794 posts, read 895,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A full answer would take a book.

Many drive-ins were simply real estate plays. Cheap land on the edge of town was bought and the DI paid the taxes and provided a little income until the property value skyrocketed when sprawl overtook it. One California circuit became rich with this strategy, selling cheap land for millions by just sitting on it.

People fell out of love with their cars during the OPEC gas shortage. Cars became tiny and cramped to get better mileage.

Star Wars. Lucas refused to allow drive in theatres to book the film for months. He felt that the picture and sound quality were too poor, and the idea of a "carload" night appalled his sense of greed. His example set many film distributors on the path of opening their films only in hardtops for two weeks or longer before releasing to drive ins. With the cream skimmed off, profits fell.

Light pollution. As areas built up, street and security lights ruined the dark that was needed. Have you driven by a car dealership at night?

Insurance costs. Liability insurance kills businesses. At first the playgrounds under the screen were closed, which drove away young families, then insurance went up from car damage in the lots, and assaults.

The increasing split of visual entertainment possibilities. TV, color TV, cable, VCRs and Blockbuster, multiplexes, etc.

The "passion pit" label. A business can only survive so long with a negative stereotype.

Various laws. Some were directly aimed at closing those "dens of iniquity and sin." (Religious nutters in high places.) Some were well-intended, such as no teen in school being allowed to work past 8 PM (Some drive-ins don't even start the first feature until after that.)

Labor and security costs.

Change to digital costs.

People. People in general were well behaved right up until the mid-1970s. Gather any crowd these days and you have potential problems.

I ran a drive-in. Back then it was an absolute delight. I've toyed with the idea of setting up a free one in my front field, showing public domain movies. The liability and potential for jerks stops me.
Phoenix had many drive-ins back in the 70s of my childhood. I recall seeing classics like "Midway", "Godzilla", "Billy Jack", etc. In the 80s, they were still around in some places, and I saw "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Escape from New York", "Police Academy 2", and "Beetlejuice" at the drive-in. I think the latter was the last one I saw at such a place. By the 90s they were mostly gone. Everything seemed to switch to the large metro shopping malls for movies. Ironically, those went out too.

It seems like the drive-ins are making a comeback in some areas though now that COVID-19 restricts large gatherings with hugely negative consequences.

When you noted "playgrounds" it made me think of this scene from "Grease". I never saw a drive-in with a playground. It must have been common in the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAcnP62uuXA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 AM

1,524 posts, read 957,387 times
We have a couple drive-ins still around in the Chicago area. But with the virus issues, new, albeit probably temporary drive-in movie locations are popping up. Soldier Field, Lincoln Yards, ChiTown Movies in Pilsen are some of the venues. Old things coming back!

Old 07-17-2020, 04:50 AM

17,089 posts, read 4,738,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

They're still around, you just need to look. Here are four in my general area.

index
Welcome to the Jericho Drive-In
https://www.ozoner29elranchodriveins.com/
https://www.hathawaysdrive-in.com/
Unless he moved, the OP lives in/near Montreal.

The U.S. has the most remaining drive-in theaters in the world...about 330.

Canada is second with 36.

Of those 36, Quebec has four:

https://www.driveinmovie.com/Canada

Old 09-13-2020, 01:24 AM

30 posts, read 2,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig
They closed.
One open near me but I havent gone to a drive in IN MANY YEARS..

I used to ride my bike over and hang out,it was fun BUT THE BUGS IN THE CONCESSION STAND were aweful!!

If they showed some GOOD movies again,I may go sometime..... I cant stand all this crap thats out now!!

Not worth seeing!!

Old 10-02-2020, 11:51 PM

28,673 posts, read 27,539,146 times
I took my son to a couple when he was young because many were closing. I'm glad that I did.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:18 AM

16,072 posts, read 5,792,642 times
Drive In's are booming in the US and in other western countries due to Covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNCwf1pGmE

Old 10-05-2020, 03:07 PM

15,712 posts, read 11,792,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Drive In's are booming in the US and in other western countries due to Covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNCwf1pGmE
There's a club nearby that moved tables out into their parking lot because of it. Now they have a big screen set up and are showing movies on it.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:05 PM

1,425 posts, read 312,536 times
My friends and I used to watch movies at the drive-in from the cemetery down the street from where I used to live. I think I must have learned to read lips during this time, as we had no access to audio, of course. I miss watching movies on Friday nights and going to swap meets on the weekends.

Best movie within a movie scene at the drive-in theater is in Twister.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:06 PM

6,561 posts, read 6,110,420 times
Drive Ins had a nice selection of food where I lived. Pizza, ice cream, burgers and fries, etc.

There is still one there. 3 screens. They used it for high school graduations this year. People stayed in cars and watched the grads on the screens.

Perfect place for flea markets during the day.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:57 AM

8,509 posts, read 10,248,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And those kids, like the bash-Trump crowd, think of the long-term future as next week.
You really had to make this political?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts