Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 7,853 times

Advertisements

There's one near where I live that is still open. Unfortunately, they show horrible movies, but it's something I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 09:21 AM

729 posts, read 532,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walejo View Post
There's one near where I live that is still open. Unfortunately, they show horrible movies, but it's something I guess.
During my teens and early twenties over 40 years ago, the drive-ins showed horrible movies. It looks like nothing has changed.
But that is not why you went to the drive-in. You went to the drive-in not to watch the movie but to make out in somewhat relative privacy. Ahhhh memories.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:40 AM

609 posts, read 349,489 times
the idea sounds great but it did not translate for me. the movies were bad and on top of that children were running loose like its playtime. I think its better suited for teenagers.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:34 PM

362 posts, read 143,784 times
Oh, I miss going to Drive-Ins. It was the absolute best, especially a couple of decades ago when movies were actually good.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:26 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,939,481 times
Used to have a drive in movie theater right here in Lebanon back in the olden days, I would go to see Escape From New York a lot just to be able to see Ox Baker who could have easily kicked Snake Plissken’s butt!

Now the only drive in movies left are just north of Dayton.

Not all movies were formatted for the drive in projection systems which limited what they showed.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
"Not all movies were formatted for the drive in projection systems which limited what they showed."

Having projected at drive-ins and run drive-ins, this is incorrect. Scope and flat (aka "widescreen" were the two main formats after the mid-1950s, and all it took to switch was a different lens and aperture plate, which took all of 30 seconds. Screen dimensions were fixed, of course, but the scope pictures could be shrunk to fit on the screen, have the edge image be blocked by the plate, or have an old style prism anamorphic be used to "shrink" the width to fit the screen, resulting in tall actors.

About the only film format that was a real problem was Cinerama, but that was a problem for most indoor theatres as well. 3-D pics that were red-green could be shown anywhere, the polarized ones needed a silver screen, which many drive-ins had. The issue there was getting enough light through the polarizing filters on the projector without burning them up.

If an operator claimed they couldn't show because of a format, it was more likely code that they didn't want to spend the money for wings on their squarish 1940s screen tower to give a decent picture.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:00 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,970,303 times
I remember my parents taking me to a drive-in a few or so times when I was a child in the 80s, but haven't gone since.

The part I just don't like is having to get out of the car in the darkness to go to a restroom.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:15 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I grew up a block away from a drive in - it's an apartment complex now - and we'd sneak under the fence to watch the movie for free. On warm nights when the bedroom windows were open we'd hear the movies all night long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Used to have a drive in movie theater right here in Lebanon back in the olden days,
The "Old Fart"! Played the lousiest movies.

I believe the Starlight Drive-In between Amelia and Bethel is still open, too.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:36 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,728 times
There was one in the town next to mine in VT. I went 2 or 3 times. I remember a "Flintstones / Jurassic Park" stone-age double header in the early 90's! Their facebook page has posts through 2013, so I think they closed after that summer. Pretty decent run.

I also went to one near my college in OH. It closed in 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts