U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2020, 03:03 PM
 
35,319 posts, read 44,792,336 times
Reputation: 30805

Advertisements

In these days of social distancing id love to go to a movie,alas all the theaters are closed which makes me think drive ins would be a good solution, what happened to all the drive-ins?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 912,244 times
Reputation: 5043
They closed.

At the time I was a theater brat, the group had five or six theaters and four or five drive-ins, and we saw movies at all of them (driving gaily past the ticket line, of course). When theaters in general hit the skids in the late 1970s and early 80s, most drive-ins closed or went to second/third-run, showing two or three older movies a night at bargain rates. Then, in many cases, the land was simply too valuable not to sell for commercial use. When theaters came back, drive-ins weren't part of the mix.

They may return but the land and operation cost is still going to be a problem. A solution might be dual-use: f'rex, an industrial park parking lot by day and a drive-in lot by night, with the screen more or less hidden as the extended wall of a building.

One of the last drive-ins was somewhere near San Francisco, and it ran nothing but porn for its last years. As the screen faced way from the interstate and was surrounded by an arc of low hills, no one except customers could see the screen.

Except for one guy, who became slightly famous because his house on the hill had, basically, a front-row seat for every heaving, sweaty showing...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2020, 09:47 PM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo, where the woodbine twineth
8,072 posts, read 5,694,299 times
Reputation: 11384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
They closed.

At the time I was a theater brat, the group had five or six theaters and four or five drive-ins, and we saw movies at all of them (driving gaily past the ticket line, of course). When theaters in general hit the skids in the late 1970s and early 80s, most drive-ins closed or went to second/third-run, showing two or three older movies a night at bargain rates. Then, in many cases, the land was simply too valuable not to sell for commercial use. When theaters came back, drive-ins weren't part of the mix.

They may return but the land and operation cost is still going to be a problem. A solution might be dual-use: f'rex, an industrial park parking lot by day and a drive-in lot by night, with the screen more or less hidden as the extended wall of a building.

One of the last drive-ins was somewhere near San Francisco, and it ran nothing but porn for its last years. As the screen faced way from the interstate and was surrounded by an arc of low hills, no one except customers could see the screen.

Except for one guy, who became slightly famous because his house on the hill had, basically, a front-row seat for every heaving, sweaty showing...
Didn't he die from the grippe ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Troy, NY
3,056 posts, read 523,080 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What happened to all the drive-ins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
They closed.


They're still around, you just need to look. Here are four in my general area.

index
Welcome to the Jericho Drive-In
https://www.ozoner29elranchodriveins.com/
https://www.hathawaysdrive-in.com/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 AM
Status: "Bartlet, er Biden, for America!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,207 posts, read 68,588,341 times
Reputation: 37097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
They're still around, you just need to look.
There's talk of building some new ones too.
The high school and college kids seems very excited about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
13,977 posts, read 8,562,203 times
Reputation: 18055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There's talk of building some new ones too.
The high school and college kids seems very excited about it.
And those kids, like the bash-Trump crowd, think of the long-term future as next week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Brackenwood
5,723 posts, read 2,250,351 times
Reputation: 12366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In these days of social distancing id love to go to a movie,alas all the theaters are closed which makes me think drive ins would be a good solution, what happened to all the drive-ins?
There are still a handful in rural or exurban areas. Most of the rest were sitting on land that eventually became too valuable to sit undeveloped and unused half the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 06:59 AM
 
405 posts, read 181,245 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
And those kids, like the bash-Trump crowd, think of the long-term future as next week

Yawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
16,655 posts, read 9,061,967 times
Reputation: 59303
We lost a drive in close to us last summer. I had been going there since I was a kid. I guess they lost their lease on the land. It was so much fun, and I could bring the dogs. I would love to see another drive in pop up close by. The only one we can go to now is over an hour away. That's a long day in the car. You have to get there early if you want a good spot or to even get in because they are only allowing half capacity. That means sitting here from about 6:30 until 8:30 until the movie starts. They usually run until midnight and then it's over an hour to get home. I doubt we will be doing that any time soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2020, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Brackenwood
5,723 posts, read 2,250,351 times
Reputation: 12366
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We lost a drive in close to us last summer. I had been going there since I was a kid. I guess they lost their lease on the land. It was so much fun, and I could bring the dogs. I would love to see another drive in pop up close by. The only one we can go to now is over an hour away. That's a long day in the car. You have to get there early if you want a good spot or to even get in because they are only allowing half capacity. That means sitting here from about 6:30 until 8:30 until the movie starts. They usually run until midnight and then it's over an hour to get home. I doubt we will be doing that any time soon.
If you're talking about the Cascade in West Chicago, they are trying to re-open.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top