U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2020, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
12,835 posts, read 3,795,146 times
Reputation: 3454

Advertisements

Firstly I don't like old Hollywood films so this isn't a yearning for the old days.

But most of the entertainment coming out of the industry isn't about telling a story.

Stories require a plot that drives its themes, we have moved to a stage where themes drive plot.

I saw a trailer for a movie which major plot point is getting off (plot point, not thematical message).

It seems more like propaganda trying to tell be people to embrace radical individualism and be and do whatever you want.

Netflix has a new show I watched called Teenage Bounty Hunters which is much the same to this general trend.

I don't like established religons, but I do like conservative morals of having community and social structure to better control individual vices.

Hollywood seems determined to break down these barriers in exchange for total independence from social forces.

Are they doing this because radical independence is good for consumer capitalism, or do they do it because they think this is what the kids are into?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2020, 04:41 AM
 
Location: The North Star State
2,892 posts, read 888,573 times
Reputation: 12263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Firstly I don't like old Hollywood films so this isn't a yearning for the old days.

But most of the entertainment coming out of the industry isn't about telling a story.

Stories require a plot that drives its themes, we have moved to a stage where themes drive plot.

I saw a trailer for a movie which major plot point is getting off (plot point, not thematical message).

It seems more like propaganda trying to tell be people to embrace radical individualism and be and do whatever you want.

Netflix has a new show I watched called Teenage Bounty Hunters which is much the same to this general trend.

I don't like established religons, but I do like conservative morals of having community and social structure to better control individual vices.

Hollywood seems determined to break down these barriers in exchange for total independence from social forces.

Are they doing this because radical independence is good for consumer capitalism, or do they do it because they think this is what the kids are into?
Hollywood produces approximately 500 films a year. With a pool that big you can find a handful that 'embrace' pretty much any particular thing that annoys you.

Hollywood produces movies to make money. Period. Sorry, I hate to break it to you, but when investors pony up tens of millions of dollars, they're not sitting around discussing which social barriers they want to break down - they're discussing how to get the best return on their investment.

You don't like some movies. All right. So? I think superhero films are vapid, banal, and entirely uninteresting. But I don't think they're some Hollywood plot to imbue modern society with the idea of superheroes. They're popular and they're profitable. It's as simple as that.

If you think society is so weak that it's going to fall apart because of theaters, and if you need your cinematic entertainment filtered through your ideological lens, and if you need a safe space from ideas of 'radical individualism', that's all really on no one but you.

PS - At any rate, there is no longer any Hays Code, and its long laundry list of conservative ideals which must be followed or all adhering distributors (essentially, all film distributors in the country) would refuse to take your film.

PPS - I am always amused when people who don't like 'PC this' or 'PC that' get irritated by things that are are don't fall into what is politically acceptable to them - though since such people have assured themselves that politically correctness is a bad thing that only other people do, they define it as agendas other than their own (which are always conveniently exempted from every being political correctness).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2020, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
12,835 posts, read 3,795,146 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Hollywood produces approximately 500 films a year. With a pool that big you can find a handful that 'embrace' pretty much any particular thing that annoys you.

Hollywood produces movies to make money. Period. Sorry, I hate to break it to you, but when investors pony up tens of millions of dollars, they're not sitting around discussing which social barriers they want to break down - they're discussing how to get the best return on their investment.

You don't like some movies. All right. So? I think superhero films are vapid, banal, and entirely uninteresting. But I don't think they're some Hollywood plot to imbue modern society with the idea of superheroes. They're popular and they're profitable. It's as simple as that.

If you think society is so weak that it's going to fall apart because of theaters, and if you need your cinematic entertainment filtered through your ideological lens, and if you need a safe space from ideas of 'radical individualism', that's all really on no one but you.

PS - At any rate, there is no longer any Hays Code, and its long laundry list of conservative ideals which must be followed or all adhering distributors (essentially, all film distributors in the country) would refuse to take your film.

PPS - I am always amused when people who don't like 'PC this' or 'PC that' get irritated by things that are are don't fall into what is politically acceptable to them - though since such people have assured themselves that politically correctness is a bad thing that only other people do, they define it as agendas other than their own (which are always conveniently exempted from every being political correctness).
This post seems scattershot.

I don't find any films/TV shows dedicated to writing an interesting plot, they are more focused on messages and themes.

I also don't think it has to do with money, and more to do with the talent pool in the production community as well as group think among the well networked individuals working in Hollywood.

There is a consistent message that individualism is good and society is better ignored/tarnished.

This is inadvertently not far from Ayn Rand's literature.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Status: "Remember what the Dormouse said Feed your head" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
22,808 posts, read 24,017,741 times
Reputation: 35974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Hollywood produces approximately 500 films a year. With a pool that big you can find a handful that 'embrace' pretty much any particular thing that annoys you.

Hollywood produces movies to make money. Period. Sorry, I hate to break it to you, but when investors pony up tens of millions of dollars, they're not sitting around discussing which social barriers they want to break down - they're discussing how to get the best return on their investment.

You don't like some movies. All right. So? I think superhero films are vapid, banal, and entirely uninteresting. But I don't think they're some Hollywood plot to imbue modern society with the idea of superheroes. They're popular and they're profitable. It's as simple as that.

If you think society is so weak that it's going to fall apart because of theaters, and if you need your cinematic entertainment filtered through your ideological lens, and if you need a safe space from ideas of 'radical individualism', that's all really on no one but you.

PS - At any rate, there is no longer any Hays Code, and its long laundry list of conservative ideals which must be followed or all adhering distributors (essentially, all film distributors in the country) would refuse to take your film.

PPS - I am always amused when people who don't like 'PC this' or 'PC that' get irritated by things that are are don't fall into what is politically acceptable to them - though since such people have assured themselves that politically correctness is a bad thing that only other people do, they define it as agendas other than their own (which are always conveniently exempted from every being political correctness).
You done gone and wrecked his thread
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
12,835 posts, read 3,795,146 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You done gone and wrecked his thread
No.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 06:24 PM
 
12,387 posts, read 13,962,237 times
Reputation: 5128
Answer: $$$

That's the kind of garbage that appeals to the teens who spend such a large amount of money there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 08:43 PM
 
4,025 posts, read 1,530,632 times
Reputation: 3029
I find the logic behind this thread faulty. Mass entertainment is always driven by profit above all else. That was the case during the Golden Age of Hollywood and remains true to this day. What has changed is interest in certain genres. Once westerns were very popular until they got exhausted and fell out of favor. The same may happen to the superhero genre as a whole down the line.

As far as themes go, it is also driven by popular demand. Many movies include LGBT people in them because there is a desire to cater to a large audience. In the past, racist undertones were quite common in Hollywood flicks because of the type of environment they operated in. Obviously, this isn't the only thing here, but it's an example of something that has gained traction in recent years.

As a final counterpoint to your argument, I can point out Hallmark. Most of their movies and shows promote the image of society and strong family ties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2020, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
12,835 posts, read 3,795,146 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I find the logic behind this thread faulty. Mass entertainment is always driven by profit above all else. That was the case during the Golden Age of Hollywood and remains true to this day. What has changed is interest in certain genres. Once westerns were very popular until they got exhausted and fell out of favor. The same may happen to the superhero genre as a whole down the line.

As far as themes go, it is also driven by popular demand. Many movies include LGBT people in them because there is a desire to cater to a large audience. In the past, racist undertones were quite common in Hollywood flicks because of the type of environment they operated in. Obviously, this isn't the only thing here, but it's an example of something that has gained traction in recent years.

As a final counterpoint to your argument, I can point out Hallmark. Most of their movies and shows promote the image of society and strong family ties.
I don't know, Hollywood makes a lot of LGBTQ content that flops, and have a network that supports shows that are bleeding money.

The industry has become too developed with too many voices to be perfect example of the consumer market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 08:17 PM
 
12,387 posts, read 13,962,237 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't know, Hollywood makes a lot of LGBTQ content that flops, and have a network that supports shows that are bleeding money.

The industry has become too developed with too many voices to be perfect example of the consumer market.
But even if it flops the producers can say, "Hey look at us! Look at what we support."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2020, 08:19 PM
 
Location: southern california
59,919 posts, read 78,412,137 times
Reputation: 53744
All entertainment is about to get a pink slip
MBA nfl Hollywood all of it all part of the good life era coming to a close
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top