U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:14 PM

8,833 posts, read 4,114,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's because at the time, black performers were not allowed to be played on white radio nor perform in white arenas, clubs, etc. Not Elvis' fault.

For that matter, Elvis was always very clear about the debt he owed to black performers who preceded him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 929,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Gen z is more likely to worship one celebrity or another.

I thought this plague was abating but its getting worse.
Uh huh. Sure it is...

Beatlemania was over half a century ago. Fan clubs and posters of celebrities on the walls of teens' rooms forever. And the bobby-soxers and Sinatra? That was nearly 80 years now in the past.

It's nothing new, no matter how much you want to idealize the past and re-write the history of celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You definitely thought wrong. The internet has created MORE celebrities. Now you have random YouTubers being viewed as celebrities.
The internet also gives a voice to everyone. A lot of people mistakenly think those voices didn't exist in the past. They did - they just didn't have the platform to reach out to many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
You have multiple similar threads on this topic, each with spurious logic. What's prompting it...what is your real question or idea here?
It's just another excuse to carp about the latest generation and extol the imagined virtues of the past.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,855,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Uh, he said he's hating celebrity worshipers *regardless* of when they were born.
That was said later. The OP sounds like they don't like anyone except those who meet the strictest of some list of standards they created.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:56 PM

33,231 posts, read 18,251,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He helped bridge the gap between white music and black music. Many parents forbade their kids to
Listen because it sounded like black music. It helped pave the way for cross overs and people like Little Richard and James Brown to white audiences (kids).

Just about all music is derivative by now.
In a way yes. That said, white America always fears what they dont understand, especially with celebrity. Somehow Boy George wasn't bad in the 1980's when Culture Club was big. Dont get that one.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:35 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,672,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But wasn't it always this way? This is nothing new, and you have to go back decades, to find otherwise.
I once had a bound volume of a magazine from the 1880's or so. Guess what the pictures were of - celebrities. They weren't even photos, lol, they were engravings. Actresses, royalty, "famous beauties", society debutantes.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:24 PM

2,138 posts, read 791,110 times
The whole concept of 'celebrities', whether on you tube or in Hollywood, gives me dry heaves.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:33 PM

7,916 posts, read 6,187,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Gen z is more likely to worship one celebrity or another.

I thought this plague was abating but its getting worse.
nothing new.

Has always happened.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM

7,916 posts, read 6,187,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why do you blame it all on one generation? They're not the only ones following these celebrities. People of ALL generations follow them. Look at the Kardashians. They have fans from 8 years old to 108 years old. No one knows why.
yep Have a 70 year old friend that follows them - I just wonder why????????

Old 10-12-2020, 06:39 PM

86 posts, read 12,279 times
The bigger question is, "Why aren't young people glorifying successful people in their local communities?"

Not to mention, young people tend to do what they see their *elders* do. Im 53 and I know plenty of people my age that still talk about sports figures like they walk on water and can do no wrong. It's not just the "youngsters."

Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 PM

12,928 posts, read 3,834,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Uh huh. Sure it is...

Beatlemania was over half a century ago. Fan clubs and posters of celebrities on the walls of teens' rooms forever. And the bobby-soxers and Sinatra? That was nearly 80 years now in the past.

It's nothing new, no matter how much you want to idealize the past and re-write the history of celebrity.

What a remarkable distortion of my meaning.

I'll say it once more for those in the back:

Celebrity worship has always been terrible, I thought the internet would help defeat this trend in society, but it did the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts