Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM

280 posts, read 685,963 times

Advertisements

I love YouTube!!!!

There are literally millions, if not billions, of videos. Thus far, I've watched documentaries, interviews, movies, debates, video reviews, etc. You name it, and I've probably seen it. I have learned a lot from such videos, and they've broadened my horizons in unimaginable ways.

I now find that I'm watching a lot less television, and I'm considering eliminating cable--and only using antennae tv, which offers the basics.

What about you? Do you find that the Internet, namely YouTube, has made you watch less television?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
No, but sometimes I might have the TV on and watch it while on Youtube or other sites on the laptop. We cannot get anything without cable, too many trees and too far from the transmitters.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
No, I'm watching T.V. less because it sucks! Youtubes are more entertaining by far though!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Youtube is hit or miss ... some videos are wonderful, others are pretty awful.

Actually that's kind of like TV, right? Seriously, I find the overall quality of TV shows -- at least the ones I am likely to watch, which do NOT include "reality" TV -- to be pretty good, WAY better than anything I've seen on youtube.

I mostly use youtube to look up (and save to my hard drive) things that I've seen on TV and want to keep but didn't happen to be recording. I have found a TON of TV commercials, news reports, etc. that way. (I use these things in my classes all the time so I have quite a collection.)

Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Id have to say, probably a good 90% of the video images I view for the past few years have either been on YouTube, or through some other internet medium like Netflix.

Why put up with the crap that's on TV now when you can go to the internet and watch the good old shows from the 80s and 90s?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Less TV yes. Youtube? 95% of it is complete garbage. The other 5% are clips from TV shows and movies that are acceptable for a little nostolgia trip, cat videos and Russian car accidents

Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Between Netflix and YouTube, the amount of TV I watch is limited to if my favorite team is playing.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times
Yes. I like to freedom to get to see what I want on youtube.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
I'm giving up cable once again at the end of this month just not worth it and I can see most things on YouTube or Netflix also.

It does bug me that there are a lot of garbage videos on the home page when I load up YouTube even when I watch them they don't go away. The music selection has never changed in over a month of me paying attention to it on that page as well. None of them is music I listen to on YouTube.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
I listen to filk music on you tube. I found a video of an old friend singing at a party and I was there, and songs long long out of production. It also has a lot of pagan music which had led to buying them on Amazon. My favorite game with youtube is to bring up one song. I pick the next one from the ones to the side. Each song you repeat the process. You aren't supposed to repeat at least the same cut of a song. I'll find I start on folk music and wander through a couple of others and end up with bagpipes. Its so cool to be able to find music of so many kinds, especially if its not something you can find on the raido. Those of us who like folk, and its cousin, and celtic it is wonderful.

I find I watch less straight on tv becasue I record stuff on the dvr that I watch and remove commercials. And have found its really really hard to stop netflix from playing the next episode when watching something you missed on pbs. Someday I may have the free local channels that come with the modem and watch the rest with one of the online services. Not to mention that netflix has tons of good documentaries not streaming you may get on cd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts