U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 04:19 PM

649 posts, read 324,821 times

Advertisements

In horror movies or psychological thrillers, they usually have a socially awkward or weird character who the audience is supposed to think is the actual "killer" based on their unpopularity. By now, we as an audience, know it's never that person but someone who appears "normal" throughout the film.

Also, when a superhero's girlfriend gets kidnapped, her odds of rescue are around 97% if not, higher.

Yet, we still buy it, I guess.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 04:45 PM

25,099 posts, read 15,910,919 times
I've recently watched several movies on Netflix and after so many years, movies still contain these following cliches that never seem to die a merciful death:

- Whenever someone tries to hide from the bad guys (a serial killer/monster/criminal gang), that person will ALWAYS do something to alert the bad guy to their position, at the very last nanosecond right before the bad guy completely leaves the area. It may be stifling a cough, or more commonly, something in the hiding space will make a sudden last noise that alerts the bad guy just as soon as the camera shows a closeup of the bad guy's foot leaving the area.

- To go along with the above, there will ALWAYS be something that gets left out of place or dropped, and the protagonist will spend precious agonizing seconds deciding what to do before he gets caught out. This was most recently seen in "Snowden" where the Snowden character retrieves a memory card but it accidentally pops out onto the floor where the floor supervisor is about to walk through.

- Speaking of which, anytime a character has to download files, there's always going to be that downloading time left bar which seems to be too slow before someone walks into the area. But just when the bad guy walks into the room and turns on the light, everything is quiet and seems normal, while the good guy hides somewhere and is able to sneak off afterwards.

- Whenever a protagonist has a partner, and that partner stays behind in the car, the protagonist will ALWAYS be distracted by ear buds that loudly play music so he is unawares while his partner gets beaten to within an inch of his life, until the very last minute.

- Fights in movies always end up hand to hand with the bad guy straddling on top of the good guy, slowly trying to push a knife in the good guy's throat. Knife tip reaches within millimeters before good guy does some fancy maneuver to kick him off him. And let's not forget that majority of such fights take place high up on top of a building or cliff where the bad guy will dangle the good guy over the edge.

- Someone closely associated with the good guy in a thriller/action movie will ALWAYS be taken hostage (wife, daughter, close friend), and the third act of the movie will be where he tries to rescue them AND dispatch the bad guy.

- Quick deaths are an incredibly rare in motion pictures. Anytime someone of significance dies in a movie, there has to be a 10 minute soliloquy where the mortally wounded person, in between gasps, has to wax poetic about life and love, and then dramatically that person's breath will trail and head falls limp. Just die already.

- Any movie featuring an ex-military character, that character MUST be from an elite Special Operations unit. If American, a SEAL, Green Beret, Ranger, Delta, PJ, or Force Recon. If Russian, Spetsnaz. If British, SAS of course. Is there something wrong with a military character being a cook?

- Any movie featuring ex-military characters who served in Iraq/Afghanistan MUST be 'damaged goods,' emotionally and mentally scarred from some atrocity they witnessed or participated in, and their civilian life is a mess as an alcoholic and drugged out psychotic who resorts to crime.

And so, so much more.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:58 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,308,304 times
- The jock always ends up with the awkward girl next door instead of the cheerleading mean girl.

- Bad guys have impressively terrible aim, even with machine guns. But the good guys can build a bazooka out of a piece of PVC, some dirty newspaper, and duct tape.

- Rom coms - all the last minute "You are the one for me!!!" reunions at the airport, which haven't changed even though 9/11 won't let you get anywhere near the gate anymore.

- Is there a psycho killer chasing you? You only have 3 choices: basement (no escape), upstairs/roof (no escape), or bathroom/closet (no escape).

- The bad guy's soliloquy, explaining all of the planning that went into the grand master plan, and how he's now going to control the universe, buying just enough time for some other good guy to come in and foil all of his plans at the last second.

- Are you in a sci fi? Do you have a red shirt and no name? Goodbye.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:19 PM

Very true - I agree with the above posters.

Also, when someone is trying to sneak into a room to snoop around or do something, you always hear a person who is about to leave the targeted place LOUDLY say, "Hey 'Bill", I'm gonna go grab a cup of coffee."

In rom-coms where they have a plain Jane type girl who "blossoms" at the end, you can tell the "Plain Jane" is
actually a very pretty actress.

And in very crowded cities - the main characters always get the prime parking spots! That rarely happens in real life.

*Also in real life, most women do not sleep in full make-up.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,015,503 times
Whenever someone takes a bath, there's at least 20 to 30 lit candles all over.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Whenever someone takes a bath, there's at least 20 to 30 lit candles all over.
Funny! And the bubbles are usually strategically placed!

More cliches:

I'd say the main character has a better chance of surviving a movie than his best friend has.

Also, when a person or couple is struggling with infertility, they usually end up with a kid someway, somehow.

On the other hand, when a character is in a so-so relationship and there is a pregnancy scare, it's usually
a false alarm which lets them off the hook.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:17 PM

4,615 posts, read 305,498 times
A Buddy Movie - 2 opposites who end up finding out how much alike they are.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:53 PM

4,251 posts, read 2,357,464 times
The hero diffuses the time bomb when the timer reaches 1 or 2 seconds. Earlier, his best friend failed and got blown up.

Similarly, the hero will avert any catastrophe within second before doom.

If a movie starts with a group of people going on an outing into the woods, a cave, by the lake, out into space, hunting an alien, etc, they will be killed off one by one until there are two left who fall in love by the end of the movie.

Defendants routinely testify in their criminal trials. This is incredibly rare in real life.

Tires squeal on turns - on dirt roads.

When the hero tells his partner to stay in the car, the partner doesn't and they end up coming face to face with guns drawn, or backing into each other.

The same hubcap comes off more than once during the chase scene.

When the hero destroys something in a spectacular explosion he walks away in slow motion and doesn't look back.

It's always raining during funerals.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:30 PM

9,199 posts, read 5,460,343 times
"Hey, guys, I've got an idea. Let's split up and look for (the killer.)"

I have been absolutely fascinated by the number of movies I've watched in the last couple of years which show a shot directly up or down a circular or square multi-level stairway.

I always remark to DH that there's our obligatory stairwell shot.

What's the deal with that? Was that a Hitchcock trope? Why are so many writers/directors doing this lately?

Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 PM

4,251 posts, read 2,357,464 times
Quote:
I have been absolutely fascinated by the number of movies I've watched in the last couple of years which show a shot directly up or down a circular or square multi-level stairway.
That and the ubiquitous standing at the edge of a roof looking down.

Quote:
I always remark to DH that there's our obligatory stairwell shot.

What's the deal with that? Was that a Hitchcock trope?
Hitchcock used it in the 1958 movie Vertigo (Jimmie Stewart and Kim Novak). The scene starts about 1:58 into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnpZN2HQ3OQ

I don't know if he was the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts