Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 04:49 PM

23,477 posts, read 13,711,338 times

Advertisements

.....how do you keep track which DVD you've watched when it has been weeks or months in between?

A DVD pack like say Season 1 thru 4 of a show.

In an instant of the light bulb going off, I am thinking of putting the DVD in use on the front page of the case, the DVD on top, or if a two sided movie DVD, having that side face up on the front page of the case.......and heaven help the busy body who puts everything in order!

Do others have other ways, that is us Oldie von Moldies who use DVDs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 04:58 PM

22,912 posts, read 18,207,688 times
This should be a no-brainer OP. Put a simple Post It note on the sleeve or imprinted part of the disk that shows the date you watched which track or side! Unless you leave the Post It on there for years, the permanently non-permanent adhesive shouldn't leave noticeable residue. You can get absurdly simple paper sleeves for DVDs at office supplies if they don't happen to have their own. Make your own notations on the sleeve.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:08 PM

Maybe yes, maybe no. Some of my multipacks come in sleeves in the box, some have plastic pages that the disk clips to. Mind you, I would have to switch out the paper sleeves from their black ones to light colored ones, but other than that......

As to the Post it, that is possible except.....I am a vast time between watchings. It might indeed be a year....or longer.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:45 PM

5,383 posts, read 3,403,037 times
Why don't you keep an excel spreadsheet of this data? They you can sort and search anyway you wish.

Old 01-08-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Why don't you keep an excel spreadsheet of this data? They you can sort and search anyway you wish.
Well, first of all, I don't have excel. There are few problems to getting the Office package, such as being constantly on line for it to verify itself which since I don't have unlimited Internet is rather out of the question.

The main thing, though, is to have something simple........and not make entertainment into work.

Another item is that my watching is rather at random. Ie, "Shelf, I'm BOR-ED! How can you entertain me tonight?" I look for a case on a shelf in the library that meets the theme for the night, ie,

M-Clubs & Swords
T-Espionage (ie, DIE, SPY!)
W-SUPERCHICK
Th-Cops&Robbers
F-Horror & Fantasy
S-Sci Fi & Fantasy
Su-Men&Women of Steel

and go with that. The prospect of searching up a flick, looking dedicatedly as oppose to the above approach....is rather alien to me.

I am rather thinking of a way in my hot little hand. That is, here is the DVD pack, off the shelf, in my hands, what ways tell me the last one I watched?

Old 01-08-2022, 04:09 AM

20,349 posts, read 4,265,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
.....how do you keep track which DVD you've watched when it has been weeks or months in between?

A DVD pack like say Season 1 thru 4 of a show.

In an instant of the light bulb going off, I am thinking of putting the DVD in use on the front page of the case, the DVD on top, or if a two sided movie DVD, having that side face up on the front page of the case.......and heaven help the busy body who puts everything in order!

Do others have other ways, that is us Oldie von Moldies who use DVDs?

Simple, just make a sheet with a running tally of what you watched already.

IE: For a series with 4 seasons, and each season having 8 episodes. It would look something like this:

"My Show"

S1: 1111 1111
S2: 1111 1111
S3: 111
S4:

So in this example you would watch Season 3, Episode 4 next.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Simple, just make a sheet with a running tally of what you watched already.

IE: For a series with 4 seasons, and each season having 8 episodes. It would look something like this:

"My Show"

S1: 1111 1111
S2: 1111 1111
S3: 111
S4:

So in this example you would watch Season 3, Episode 4 next.
It might work........but one must keep in mind that not only is it probably few and far inbetween this or that show but also that there are a lot of shows in between.

Ie, the past Thursdays. This last one, I watched a Mannix....and I can't recall the last time I watched that show. In the weeks before that, it was Charlie's Angels, Streets/San Francisco, The Persuaders, Kojak, Barney Miller, Hawaii 5-0, The Saint and the like, according to my day planner.

So is the day planner the answer? No, not really just as a diary isn't, because it doesn't instantly tell me. It requires me to search page after page for the answer. An alphabetical diary sounds nice but once again, it runs into the problem of how when things aren't watched in alphabetical order, where an entry might be made for Barnaby Jones, then Barney Miller......and then one week, a new show, "Barnaby Shores" (a play on Barnaby Coast) has to be stuck between previous entries.

As said, I would like something simple, in my hot little hand when I pick up the case. Of course, sitting there on the sofa, if I found I already saw that disk, I could get off the sofa, walk across the room, switch it out and try again but once again, it is turning entertainment into work.

So far, I think the post it and sleeve writing is the best suggestion here.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,424,088 times
The last dvd we watched gets turned upside down in the case or sleeve.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 01-08-2022 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 01:52 PM

5,383 posts, read 3,403,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, first of all, I don't have excel. There are few problems to getting the Office package, such as being constantly on line for it to verify itself which since I don't have unlimited Internet is rather out of the question.
hmmm I didn't know that my excel is being constantly verified. Scary.... How do I know when/how my laptop is doing this? (sorry, off topic.)

Old 01-08-2022, 02:23 PM

99,076 posts, read 4,467,299 times
OP, there are free alternatives to Excel. LibreOffice is one. A spreadsheet is really the easiest way to keep track of this stuff and easy to search. I do a lot of streaming as well as watching DVDs. I've kept a TV/movie spreadsheet for years and can easily find where I left off, or if I've watched something already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts