U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 11:56 PM

25,084 posts, read 15,910,919 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else out there not a big fan of TV series (shows with multiple episodes and multiple season) as compared to "one-offs" where it is just one episode, like a documentary or movie?

When I was a kid I loved watching a lot of series like A-team, Greatest American Hero, and all other 80's classics.

As I got older, I guess I had less patience to sit through multiple episodes. If a series is really compelling, then I'll watch the whole thing. Like The Walking Dead for example, I watched the first three seasons in a matter of days. Or Mindhunter. It does help that many series are on streaming services so you could watch entire seasons.

But these days, on Netflix or Amazon, I only watch movies or documentaries. I skip anything that shows it being a series. Some documentaries have multiple episodes, usually around 3-4, and I'm okay with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 02:00 AM

5,076 posts, read 2,322,559 times
Interestingly enough, it’s become the opposite for me. I find tv series a lot more engaging these days, as they allow for greater character development. However, there are series that are too overdrawn, making me lose interest in them rapidly.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 AM

4,111 posts, read 1,680,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is anyone else out there not a big fan of TV series (shows with multiple episodes and multiple season) as compared to "one-offs" where it is just one episode, like a documentary or movie?

When I was a kid I loved watching a lot of series like A-team, Greatest American Hero, and all other 80's classics.

As I got older, I guess I had less patience to sit through multiple episodes. If a series is really compelling, then I'll watch the whole thing. Like The Walking Dead for example, I watched the first three seasons in a matter of days. Or Mindhunter. It does help that many series are on streaming services so you could watch entire seasons.

But these days, on Netflix or Amazon, I only watch movies or documentaries. I skip anything that shows it being a series. Some documentaries have multiple episodes, usually around 3-4, and I'm okay with that.
I know I'm hardly alone in this, but I think television series are better than ever.

Modern series have production values that are vastly superior to those of decades gone by. They attract writing and acting talent that isn't just 'television talent' anymore, and their budgets allow for sets and scenery and effects that previously were only for the big screen.

The shift away from cable has allowed much more artistic creativity. Not only is the FCC not a concern for non-broadcast series, but episodes do not have to be precisely 24 minutes long (for half-hour comedies) or 48 minutes long (hour-long dramas) and can and do vary a fair amount depending on the needs of the story.

Story arcs. I want story arcs! (and now I get them)
While there were previously minor storylines which ran from one episode to another, and of course general dramatic continuity - as well as the occasional two-part episode, though usually found those annoying because they rarely seemed to actually have two episodes worth or necessary content to the story in question - today many series are serials. Think of Breaking Bad. There's the odd bottle episode, but instead of having every episode proceed the same (Boss Hogg threatens to finally get the Duke farm, some combination of the four Dukes work to extricate themselves from Hogg's clutches, while the others help a passer-thru in need, and in the end lo and behold they win and all is well!) we get the long progression of Walter White from feckless loser middle school teacher to meth kingpin to his Shakespearean downfall. The Good Place had a very disciplined story to tell and told it in four efficient seasons. It didn't end because ratings slumped but because the story was told. Other series are less focused on an end-goal but still brimming with long story arcs (think Downton Abbey, Mad Men, etc.).

Tony Soprano. Walter White. Dexter Morgan. I love today's interesting protagonists, which in days gone by could not have existed because they're not good and that was a time when television had to always be in part a morality play, and those deeply flawed individuals could never have been the stars of a show.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:18 AM

5,661 posts, read 2,513,724 times
Quote:
Series (and most things) are poorly written -- go to Pluto TV and watch the channels with old sitcoms, I could watch them all day.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:57 AM
Status: "Never had a bad day in my life" (set 22 hours ago)

22,841 posts, read 8,194,970 times
Quote:

I watch almost no TV except for baseball, football, and CNBC. I have just no use for any TV series be it drama or comedy, and no time...... got better things to do.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:59 AM

13,517 posts, read 7,728,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Interestingly enough, it’s become the opposite for me. I find tv series a lot more engaging these days, as they allow for greater character development. However, there are series that are too overdrawn, making me lose interest in them rapidly.
This is me as well. I have a tendency to let a series run for a few season before getting hooked and binge watching them.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:16 PM

15,588 posts, read 8,317,645 times
Could be many things such as one binge watches because they know something else is coming along. Me, since I am limited to what is in the video library, I don't binge watch but stretch what I have out as far as I can for once I reach the end of what I have, that's it! Take Emerald City, for example. It's wonderful in a world I can get lost in but I know it is only a few episodes, so, so far, I watch it like once a year.

Further, since I don't watch on a schedule but a theme night, I am not compelled to watch any show on any night, any week.

Now, one thing in question may be the way the show is made, such as the difference between Deep Space 9 and Babylon V. The former was often stand alone in that you could pick up any episode in any order and have a good feeling from watching it without feeling wanting at the end. The latter, though, was one big space opera where if you didn't watch it in order, you were lost and you were left, often, compelled to watch the next episode.....and the next....and the next.

Finally, how much time does one have to watch in the first place? Me, one TV show and one movie a night, at best! For one thing, I have a lot of reading to do.....now, if I could just get away from the Net, too!

So, for the past week, TV wise, it's been The Adventures of Robin Hood (old BW) (theme: swords), Shetland (Men and Women of Steel), Killjoys (SciFi), Bitten (Horror), Barney Miller (Cops and Robbers), Bewitched (SUPERCHICK), Mission Impossible (Espionage), and Highlander (swords again). Just what ever show was handy for that night.

One thing about TV shows is that they often touch something in me that I find is necessary for life. One thing that I find about doing swords TV/Movie is that it takes the "shock" out of Monday. Comedy such as The Love Boat relaxes me without having to use substance.

For me, it is "What is the entertainment tonight?" which will eventually come to an end and then, the test pattern comes on.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:12 PM

8,563 posts, read 1,417,951 times
Quote:

Back when I was a kid the idea of watching a "series" never entered my mind. It was always watch this show or that show. Many of the shows we've watched were already syndicated, so the idea of repeats
didn't happen either. Our lives didn't revolve around tv, it just fit in here and there.

Shows like: The A-Team, Knightrider, MacGyver, Hunter, Airwolf, etc.

It wasn't until the past 15-20 years when we started to focus on series watching. When we find a series we like, watch it all, then move on. IE:

Shows like Hawaii Five-0, CSI: NY, Criminal Minds were all pretty good. But once you finish the series, you don't feel the need to rewatch them. They just don't have the rewatch appeal as shows of the 70's or 80's. The older shows have story lines that you can jump into at any point and understand what's happening.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:59 AM

18,552 posts, read 26,649,641 times
Quote:

When we were younger, TV shows were a lot different. They did not have an everyday plot that continued into the next show unless one of the stars were pregnant, even then it wasn't a 9 month pregnancy.

I stopped watching regular TV about 3 years ago. I used to watch private practice, it had a lot of life left in it when they pulled the plug. They left Greys anatomy on which should have been the one who's plug was pulled. I finally stopped watching it when the star of the show said it was her last season. I said that was enough for me. She decided to stay on. They've wrapped up a few story lines since then that I would have liked to have seen but passed on them. I've found that the acting in most is subpar.

I mostly watch reality TV of some sort. I was watching 90 day fiance but that has gotten old for me.

When I sit down to watch, I'll watch one show that got recorded then I switch it to whatever is on that I like that I don't have to pay attention to, like something on discovery channel such as secrets in the ice, engineering disasters, impossible engineering, another show that takes clips of video from cameras to show things like something exploding. Another uses satellites, they try to figure out what it shows such as when it catches buildings in an Asian or Russian country where buildings shouldn't be.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 AM

17,738 posts, read 5,076,100 times
Quote:

I like Billions, Better Call Saul and Ray Donovan. Quality TV which is almost never found on the antenna TV channels is worth watching each week for me. I got Showtime for a while to watch Billions and am now hooked on American Rust which comes on weekly. Before it was the Sopranos, Breaking Bad and the early years of Shameless. The old networks seem to just have music shows, reality shows or 10 different versions of CSI.

Otherwise I am fine with binge watching shows on streaming channels usually documentaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts