U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-26-2021, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Willamette Valley Oregon
649 posts, read 298,700 times
Reputation: 237

Advertisements

What caused the woke or broke trend? It seemed the throttle was pushed forwards to notch 6 under Obama then fully opened under Trump and the driver isn't paying attention to the signal masts. One day we are going to fly thru a flashing yellow over red and REALLLY regret it!
I sure hope we have some kind of spiritual AWS (Automatic Warning System) in place for that kind of violation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Warning_System
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2021, 07:18 AM
 
5,928 posts, read 2,782,299 times
Reputation: 9005
I believe it is a communist conspiracy. They realized how powerful entertainment was for controlling the masses and also, for bringing joy to the masses.

Without their "outlet" the masses would be miserable and testy and ripe for revolution. Add covid in and you have a perfect for anger.

I believe it started with the death or retirements of the greatest generation and those in the conspriacy started hiring people they knew would be like them. This was further helped by corporations that were owned by china or other communist interests.

This has to be a conspiracy against the USA because it just continues even though it has been rejected by the people of the USA and it means less money for the corporation. But it continues anyway.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2021, 03:38 PM
 
1,056 posts, read 1,374,212 times
Reputation: 1299
For starter the term “woke” is nothing else than a lot of people now having a voice through social media or any other internet/online means.

The people that usually complains about “wokeness” is people that liked it when just a selected accepted few had a voice.

Today we live in a hyper democracy, where the poor, minorities, LGBTQ, etc., can express their discontent with anything.

However, there is one thing that shuns those voices: money. If the entertainment industry (or any other business for that matter) thinks they are going to lose money, those voices won’t matter.

Take for example Chappelle. There was a lot of discontent from the transgender community, but the man is a goldrn goose for Netflix, so he will never get off that platform.

However symbolic stuff like getting rid of an offensive character like Aunt Jemima or changing the Cleveland Indians name to the Guardians, that’s nothing. In fact is probably making them more money right now.

So accept it. Online platforms has give everyone a voice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2021, 02:32 PM
 
178 posts, read 54,231 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
For starter the term “woke” is nothing else than a lot of people now having a voice through social media or any other internet/online means.
The term woke is inane, like its cousins political correctness, cancel culture and virtue signaling. All of these relatively new terms don't describe anything new. They merely refer to social norms and their social enforcement mechanisms.

WOKE
Think anti-semitism is bad? Congratulations! You're woke to that.
Opposed to slavery? You're woke to that, too.
Democracy? The Founders were woke to it. So are you (presumably).

It's just an empty snarl-term employed by people who are too lazy to articulate a coherent thought. And when they do, they're not putting forth a principled thought but just a knee-jerk opposition - not to wokeness itself but only to the form of wokeness that they dislike, all the types of wokeness they support being ignored (they get around this by pretending that their wokeness isn't really wokeness).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Willamette Valley Oregon
649 posts, read 298,700 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I believe it is a communist conspiracy. They realized how powerful entertainment was for controlling the masses and also, for bringing joy to the masses.

Without their "outlet" the masses would be miserable and testy and ripe for revolution. Add covid in and you have a perfect for anger.

I believe it started with the death or retirements of the greatest generation and those in the conspriacy started hiring people they knew would be like them. This was further helped by corporations that were owned by china or other communist interests.

This has to be a conspiracy against the USA because it just continues even though it has been rejected by the people of the USA and it means less money for the corporation. But it continues anyway.
I see most people in the US just accepting it blindly without knowing why. I don't see this mass rejection though I wish I lived in your rose colored reality but my reality it just isn't so.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

Ronald Reagan"
'
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2022, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Willamette Valley Oregon
649 posts, read 298,700 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohilus View Post
The term woke is inane, like its cousins political correctness, cancel culture and virtue signaling. All of these relatively new terms don't describe anything new. They merely refer to social norms and their social enforcement mechanisms.

WOKE
Think anti-semitism is bad? Congratulations! You're woke to that.
Opposed to slavery? You're woke to that, too.
Democracy? The Founders were woke to it. So are you (presumably).

It's just an empty snarl-term employed by people who are too lazy to articulate a coherent thought. And when they do, they're not putting forth a principled thought but just a knee-jerk opposition - not to wokeness itself but only to the form of wokeness that they dislike, all the types of wokeness they support being ignored (they get around this by pretending that their wokeness isn't really wokeness).
Why is it the last 10 years all these word salads have been tossed all over the place with even old terminology mixed up in it all and you don't know one meaning to the next. One day a word can have a particular meaning and next year it will mean something totally different!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2022, 01:32 AM
 
Location: HONOLULU
751 posts, read 229,832 times
Reputation: 262
I don't think the movie big screen movie actors and goers will be picking up soon. The pandemic has stifled the industry goers to a point of looking at cinemas all across America empty because of COVID-19 restrictions. I don't know if they can recover from it. How important is the movie scenes to you anyway? I think I can make do with less movies nights out for the time being. Cinemas across the state has completely closed down. No body is watching because of the rules of COVID-19. So they are forced to close their business down.

Is this a problem? Not really. Won't affect me because I'm not paying anything from that industry stand point.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2022, 01:26 PM
 
7,214 posts, read 4,043,871 times
Reputation: 7413
Pop culture and the American entertainment industry has been infiltrated by commies...China....

This all started around 2012 or so... it has slid into the abyss since.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2022, 12:34 AM
 
12,864 posts, read 10,495,749 times
Reputation: 7294
Hollywood has been running out of ideas for years if not decades. All the movies have been rehashes of old ones, so many remakes.

Music is bland now too. 80s is when music peaked. There are no new sound combos.

So they need something new. Only thing left is this whole woke, and that is a pun.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:52 AM
 
8,051 posts, read 4,264,079 times
Reputation: 15659
? I don’t understand what you are saying. THe reality is that as others have mentioned, everyone has access to media using YouTube, TikTok, and other video platforms. You have a lot of content providers/influencers representing all sorts of views and from many backgrounds, many of whom have millions of subscribers.

I think larger companies see from these content providers that certain themes do have an audience, and a large one at that. Many people would much rather watch YouTube/TikTok content providers representing diverse viewpoints than 400th superhero/comic remake of the year. You also see a larger variety of content on streaming services since we can get content from all over the globe. While in the past, foreign content wasn’t popular in the US, now shows like Squid Game are hugely popular. There are also lots of really good shows from all over.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top