U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 AM

8,531 posts, read 13,533,939 times

Advertisements

I’ve just finished reading Mark Millar’s War Heroes * and can only come to the conclusion that Mark Millar is God ( or the next Alan Moore).
It is obvious that the man is a genius.
Even when you don't like Mark Millar, politics or comics, ya gotta admit that the advertising posters for the War Heroes comic is brilliant.

Moderator cut: copyright protected image removed

Moderator cut: copyright protected text removed - see TOS

Source: TALKING ABOUT WAR HEROES WITH MARK MILLAR - NEWSARAMA (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=155639 - broken link)

Moderator cut: copyright protected image removed

Last edited by christina0001; 07-25-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: copyright protected images and text removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,238,564 times
Default copyright infringement - d'oh!

Well, Tricky, I don't know anything about Mark Millar but his work looks interesting.
Since your thread is about "all things (superhero) comics related" then here is what I am reading currently:
Infinite Crisis
It's old but I have never read most of the DC stuff.

edit: actually I have read Civil War - didn't recognize the name - yeah Millar is slated to be one of the greats, I guess.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 PM

Exclamation Mega cross-overs

Originally Posted by b. frank
Quote:
Infinite Crises
It's old but I have never read most of the DC stuff.
I know what ya mean.
I'm not a real fan of the DC universe myself ( but I luv their Vertigo titles).
The only DC stuff I follow are Birds of Prey, The Teen Titans, Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) and sometimes Batman paperbacks.
I hate it when you have to follow several different titles (like most Bat-titles) to follow 1 story line.
The thing with the DC Crises titles is that you have to follow several Crises spin-offs to get the whole picture so they are really milking it.
I truly hate it when companies do this.
The other reason why I prefer Marvel over DC is that the Marvel universe is more realistic than DC's.
Only the Hulk resembled DC where the good guys are incapable of causing innocent casualties by their actions.

Isn't Infinite Crises DC's answer to Marvel's Secret Wars?
Speaking of Mark Miller and Secret Wars, ( plug, plug) Miller has written Marvel 1985 which is supposed to be loosely connected with Secret Wars I & II.
I haven't read it yet but will probably get the paperback.

Anywayz, I realise that Marvel is also draining my wallet with their Secret Invasion, but since the whole thing is conceived by Brian Michael Bendis I at least had to check it out.
I must admit that it hasn't disappointed me yet, so I'm at least gettin' my money's worth.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

83 posts, read 246,119 times
mark millar is the guy who originally created Wanted. Too bad that wanted movie sucked though, because the comic book written by mark miller was hot!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MikeJone'sBloodyNose
Quote:
mark millar is the guy who originally created Wanted.
True, but the Movie Industry didn't want their lead characters to be villains (read: evil).

I was never a true fan of the Fantastic Four or the solo Wolverine title, but he got me reading them again.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJone'sBloodyNose View Post
mark millar is the guy who originally created Wanted. Too bad that wanted movie sucked though, because the comic book written by mark miller was hot!!!!!!!
Agreed but Hollywood would never approve that story line or ending, lol. It would be an amazing movie if it ever got made right though, heh.

I like reading through the overarching stories like Civil War or Secret Invasion but they are a pain to get together and read in the correct order... even with a check list.

Speaking comics, but not heroes, has anyone read the Demo series of comics (writer Brian Wood and artist Becky Cloonan)? I really enjoyed those. Not a true serial since they weren't related to each other but a really great showcase of story telling and artistry IMHO. Weird I guess the boards don't like the links, even when I don't tag them. Here is the url for the wiki page on it...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demo_(comics)

Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM

I've read a few issues of Demo but don't really find it my cup of tea.
But I did enjoy American Virgin which was more to my liking.
Then again sex has always been a huge interest of mine.

The best non-superhero comic I've read is Preacher.
Garth Ennis rocks with that series.
Too bad he also left the Punisher MAX title.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM

Thumbs up X-Men: Magneto - Testament

Has anyone read Magneto - Testament #1 & #2?
Magneto as a supervillain already has 1 of the most interesting backgrounds in superhero comics but in this comic he hasn't become a mutant yet.
I love the fact that Magneto's history is grounded in real history and that he bears witness to the prosecution of the Jews including the announcement of the Nuremberg Laws and the effect of Kristal Nacht.
I really recommend it to everyone who is interested in superhero comics ( or in this case supervillain comics).

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 AM

18 posts, read 104,788 times
Everyone, Please look at my comic blog...its very politically incorrect, I promise!

Comic Drive Thru

Old 02-23-2009, 12:17 AM

18 posts, read 104,788 times
I also have to hate most Comics turned Films that have come out for a while now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts