U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is watching television and movies a waste of one's time and life?
Yes! 26 25.49%
No. 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 AM

20,862 posts, read 22,433,523 times

Advertisements

John Lennon who was a pretty darn good writer once said in an interview that he used to watch television for long periods of time as a sort of mind vacation to shut out the world. I always thought that was an interesting use of TV.

I have no patience for who like to use their disdain of television as a means to look down their noses at those who enjoy it. They are usually pseudo intellectuals who show their bias toward others by using this convenient way of flouting their imagined superiority. I don't care for the game of golf, but I don't deride those who choose to play the game.

Television is not a waste of time for those who enjoy watching it any more than reading a good book, eating, watching a movie, etc etc. It does not have to be educational or enlightening either. A good sitcom that makes makes one laugh out loud is never a bad thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
personally no. I myself don't find all the drinking stories people tell to be all that funny or entertaining.. it's all variations on the same old antics. I suppose to each their own as far as hobbies for enjoyment. It's no more or less a waste than going out to clubs and getting wasted, or engaging in mindless gossip about other people to boost one's self esteem.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 AM

10,542 posts, read 4,675,530 times
Didn't vote in poll because it depends-it's not "just" one way or the other, all good or all bad use of one's time.

If one would otherwise be doing something more productive/constructive,
then tv/film may be costing one that opportunity to do those other activities.

If one would not otherwise be doing much else, then tv/film may be an area through which to connect
with new people: a shared interest for making conversation that could be useful for one's social life.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM

51,196 posts, read 50,480,930 times
I realized last week that it was probably good that I was going back to work when I found myself excited over the discovery that Gilligan's Island and F Troop come on back to back in the afternoon.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,311,669 times
Yes. Documentaries, non-fictional or fictionalized historical depictions leads one to read further in the area. Occurred with myself as a teen viewing- Roots, Holocaust, Victory at Sea, World at War, I Claudius, Black Robe, Centennial, Shogun, Winds of War,etc.etc.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 AM

420 posts, read 548,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Does anyone feel that watching television and movies are a waste of one's time and life?
Great question.

When I was a teenager, I was contently sitting at the TV and suddenly the question dawned on me.. "what is this sh--?.. and why am I watching it?"

The point of TV, Radio, Sports or any other type of entertainment is for you to waste time watching it! Your time = their money!

The question is 'what do you get in return giving up your time watching entertainment'? Maybe you'll learn something new or take inspiration from what you've seen and start to do or create something that'll benefit your life.

On the other end of the spectrum of that, you would just aimlessly watch the TV, waiting for the same shows to come on from week to week just to see how someone you'll never meet looks and talks.

In between those extremes you're seeing for a sense of escape (which can be therapeutic to most people) and will trade your time for it.

In the past, I've wasted countless hours watching certain TV series, but now I only watch things that I can learn from or that give me that extra OOMPH. I watch sports as an escape/adrenaline booster.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It may be a waste of time to some, and to others it is a nice getaway, depending on the person.
This is probably the best answer of all. It all depends upon the individual and how much of their time they use watching. The question is "Is watching television and movies a waste of time?" The question is about time not content. Is watching hours and hours of educational TV or documentaries any less a waste of time than watching game shows or sitcoms? How about sports? Or the news? I just love the holier-than-thou-dictators who say "It's okay for me to sit and watch my TV programs because they are better than your TV programs.

Sitting in front of the TV is sitting in front of the TV no matter what one is watching

TV and movies, like anything else in life fills a need for people who use them. It doesn't matter what the content is, the time spent is the key because different subjects appeal to different people. I find only the very conceited and insecure are the ones who dictate and judge the viewing choices of others along with time spent watching them.

One person's waste is another person's hobby. Maybe to some stamp collecting or scrapbooking or hiking is a waste of time because a lot of time is spent doing those things. Too much time spent on anything could be construed as a waste, but again, unless it seriously affects someone's life detrimentally as determined by a mental health professional it's not a waste of time. In my opinion, that includes watching TV or movies.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,430,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Does anyone feel that watching television and movies are a waste of one's time and life?
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Life is not meant to be used for nothing but productive activities; it is meant to be enjoyed. If you enjoy your activities, no matter what they may be, how can it be a waste?
Humanity has told tales for as long as we have existed. Just because we do it using the current technology (on TV and the Internet instead of orally), it doesn't mean it is suddenly a waste of time. It's just one part of what makes life enjoyable.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Life is not meant to be used for nothing but productive activities; it is meant to be enjoyed. If you enjoy your activities, no matter what they may be, how can it be a waste?
Humanity has told tales for as long as we have existed. Just because we do it using the current technology (on TV and the Internet instead of orally), it doesn't mean it is suddenly a waste of time. It's just one part of what makes life enjoyable.
Dunno why the icons aren't working but ten thumbs up!!!!!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,676,108 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts