U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,943,039 times

Advertisements

Robin Williams use to be a hoot, then he got into the activism stuff and his "funny" kinda went away, almost to the point of obnoxious. Guess when they get famous, they forget what made them that way.

One night he was on the late night show as a guest and Bob Hope was there as the second guest after Williams. I think Williams was on speed or something, the whole time when it was Hope's turn to talk, Williams kept interrupting him and flopping around the stage from the couch, which was pretty disrespectful of a guy that had done comedy for about eighty years and hundreds of USO tours to our troops.

Never thought he was very funny after that. Bob Hope could make you laugh and never say anything perverted at all, sometimes, he made you "Think" that, but it was all in your own mind.

Whoopie blew it on her comedy skit about the "Pledge of Alegence", did nothing but swear instead of saying it. Never really thought of her as funny anyway though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,079,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Woody Allen

Old 02-03-2009, 12:47 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,558,019 times
Alot have already been named like Dane Cook, and Sarah Silverman ( who I think is a classless trash when she brought Britney's kids into her joke monologue at the MTV awards)

I can't stand Kathy Griffin. I don't find her funny, he show looks stupid and she is annoying.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM

2,731 posts, read 5,936,312 times
?? I'm talking about some moron who has been popular in recent years, I've just seen clips....he typically dresses kind of "ghetto"...he's a white guy, black hair, big sort of toothy gooftball smile, apparently his 'schtick' is to talk to morons and pretend to be talking to them seriously but he's not, he also acts like a moron and so it's funny hahaha. Totally idiotic.[/quote]

I assume you are talking about Ali-G.
Billy Crystal Unfunny-
Carrot-top Unfunny

Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,017,252 times
I must admit- I love Kathy Griffin. I think she is hitting the nail on the head as far as pop culture/politics of the moment. I am sure she will be the first person to have a go at Obama as well. It might be generational though.

I think Roseanne Barr was funny in her day; however when you are slightly topical/regional/class specific (she was the complete raised in the 50s working class woman) it doesn't always travel or age well.

I will completely agree about Dane Cook- he is like amateur night at Fraternity Council talent show. And Carrot Top was funny at first but the schtick got old pretty fast. Also have to say Rosie was funny at first but then her personality overtook her act- ie she was more famous than she was an entertainer- similar to Brad/Angelina being celebrities before actors now.

I find Andy Dick pathetic and think Ray Romano is probably great at an Elks club but just doesn't do anything for me. And Leno- I've never gotten Leno.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I assume you are talking about Ali-G.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's him. Painfully un-funny.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,079,123 times
To be honest, I don't think 98% of black comedians these days are funny. Most of it is just guys repeating stuff said a long time ago by Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor, in an unoriginal, unfunny way. Not only that, but they go as far as to try to attempt the character comedy that Pryor and Murphy would do. Most of it is really bad. Exceptions would be Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Bernie Mac (RIP), Alonzo Bodden, and a few others that don't come to mind immediately.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,661,535 times
I love Sarah Silverman! She's sexy too!!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:11 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
To be honest, I don't think 98% of black comedians these days are funny. Most of it is just guys repeating stuff said a long time ago by Eddie Murphy or Richard Pryor, in an unoriginal, unfunny way. Not only that, but they go as far as to try to attempt the character comedy that Pryor and Murphy would do. Most of it is really bad. Exceptions would be Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Bernie Mac (RIP), Alonzo Bodden, and a few others that don't come to mind immediately.
Agree 100% but hesitated to say so as the well-worn race card was bound to come out And so much of their material, ironically, is either based on racial comments/stereotypes or acting like a the stereotypical black which blacks are supposedly so offended by.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,382,819 times
Wanda Sykes is pretty funny but I wouldn't want to upset her.

LOL--She understood Jane Fonda in the incredibly, annoying film--'Mothe InLaw' how could they bring themselves to make such a film?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts