U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM

7,001 posts, read 18,167,022 times

Advertisements

I got a good one for ya'll. It's Ogon Bat

A live action version from 1966.

YouTube - Il ritorno di Diavolik film - Fantaman

And the animated version.

YouTube - Phantoma

This cartoon was one of my top 5 all time favorites when I was growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Also Prince Planet.

YouTube - PrĂ*ncipe Planeta

Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Or how about Jetter Mars.

YouTube - Jetter Mars Opening

Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,802,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
come on, great storyline? too much energon so they gotta transform into half animal robots> it doesnt even make sense, and it didn't take place in the real xformers universe.
They were actually descendants of the originals;Maximals came from the Autobots and Predacons from the Decepticons. The show is about the two groups traveling back in time and the Maximals stopping the Predacons from changing the future (and protect the original Optimus Prime).

YouTube - Beast Wars - Code of Hero - 2/3 (fast foward to 4:00)

Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM

154 posts, read 349,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
They were actually descendants of the originals;Maximals came from the Autobots and Predacons from the Decepticons. The show is about the two groups traveling back in time and the Maximals stopping the Predacons from changing the future (and protect the original Optimus Prime).
Keep up the fight Scott, but I do believe that we have a purist.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,068,436 times
I loved watching cartoons in the 90s. I watched all the Marvel and DC comics based cartoons (X-men, Spider-man, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman, many more). Beast Wars, Gargoyles were also among my favorites.

I don't think they make cartoons like that anymore. The problem is, those cartoons were aimed at older kids, ones that could follow a relatively complex plot for longer than one episode, value humor, drama, interesting characters, etc. Today, older children don't watch cartoons - they have video games and other entertainment. Cartoons now are the domain of 6 year olds.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM

141 posts, read 403,900 times
Dragon Ball z was my favorite growing up, Beast Wars was great but i was in hgh school when it came out

Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,802,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I loved watching cartoons in the 90s. I watched all the Marvel and DC comics based cartoons (X-men, Spider-man, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman, many more). Beast Wars, Gargoyles were also among my favorites.

I don't think they make cartoons like that anymore. The problem is, those cartoons were aimed at older kids, ones that could follow a relatively complex plot for longer than one episode, value humor, drama, interesting characters, etc. Today, older children don't watch cartoons - they have video games and other entertainment. Cartoons now are the domain of 6 year olds.
I guess you're right about that. Two things about the cartoons of the 90s that I love are the witty one-liners and puns (they're still funny).

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Beany and Cecil, the Seasick Sea Serpent....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2IN8...eature=related

Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I grew up with Vintage cartoons. Classics. Max Fleischer. Farmer gray.(Alfalfa) Looney tunes, Warner Bros. Popeye, etc. They were fun. I can't stand most of the modern cartoons now. They are so bland. I did enjoy a cartoon called "Clutch Cargo."
Hah
Not long ago I saw a Clutch Cargo parody. I wish I could remember how/when I saw it, but the absolutely still image with those moving lips brought back memories.
My kids grew up on Sailor Moon, He-Man and Thundercats (Thunder-Thunder-Thunder-Thunder-CATS.)
When I was a kid, I loved those wordless old-school black and white cartoons because they did what cartoons do best: They were silly and escapist.
On Saturday morning, we used to watch Paul Terry cartoons.
They are on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Might I suggest that vintage cartoons, were made for a wider age group than today. The classic cartoons, from the 30's, 40's and 50's always contained references that only adults would get so it required a higher level of sophistication to craft a feature that appealed to such a wider audience.
I remember seeing cartoons that caricatured Katharine Hepbern, Jack Benny, etc (of course at the time, I had no idea who they were.) I loved the sing-along cartoons with the bouncing ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I miss Tooter the Turtle:

"Alvays, alvays, Tooter I tell you
Be just vot you is, not vot you is not
Folks vot does this are the happiest lot."
Help, Mr. Wizard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When I was a kid, the cartoons had dancing flowers, or Indians with big noses who said "How" and tied up White People and danced crazy.

Or African Natives with big white lips who put Missionaries in pots and danced around with spears.

When my kids were big enough to enjoy cartoons, the cartoonists had developed social awareness and no longer made cartoons that contained insensitive racist themes.

One of my little girls favorites was Johnny Quest. Johnny and his sidekick Hadji were experts with automatic assault weapons and would mow down hundreds of adversaries of varying ethnicity in each episodes.

Now we watch CGI cartoons like Shrek an Wal-E and wish they were Big Nose Indians with Jonny Quest assault weapons.
LOL
You never disappoint, Freddy.
As a kid, I think my favorite cartoon was Astro Boy.
I liked Mighty Mouse too, but Astro Boy was the coolest. He could fly, and made little explosive turbo jet noises whenever he walked.
I see that, in the endless quest to cash in on Boomer memories (and create a new cash cow for today's kids) an Astro Boy movie is coming out.
Which leads me to my point:
Japanese anime is imaginative and beautiful--and it's made today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts