Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM

155 posts, read 328,331 times

Advertisements

By British I specifically mean English.

Some well known examples; Jaffar(Aladdin), Stewie Griffin(Family Guy), Van Pelt(Jumanji), Miss Trunchball(Matilda), Scar (The Lion King), Maleficent(Sleeping Beauty), Wicked Stepmother(Cinderella), David Bowie(Labyrinth) and Anthony Hopkins(The Silence of the Lambs).

This seems to be a favourite tactic of Disney What's the history behind this are Americans secretly subconsciously terrified of us Brits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Almost every American would have assumed you meant English accent when you said British.

I can't say that I feel that the English are singled out as villians in American cinema. Muslims would probably have something to say about that.

However, I can tell you why they make good villians in the movies that they are in. I think a lot of Americans view them as cold and heartless. The whole stiff upper lip thing, I guess.

Also, for some reason, people with a proper English accent sound more intelligent and calculating which can aslo add to the tension.

In Stewie Griffins case, it is just because it sounds funny for a baby to talk that way. You don't need to look any deeper than that.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:46 PM

In what films are muslims villans? I must have missed that I recall Germans, Russians and Brits.

Oh and ofc the Evil Southerner

Last edited by SeanAaron; 11-18-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
In what films are muslims villans? I must have missed that I recall Germans, Russians and Brits.

Oh and ofc the Evil Southerner
The Kingdom
A Mighty Heart
Iron Eagle
Death Before Dishonor
Navy SEALs
Delta Force 3: The Killing Game
Patriot Games
Executive Decision
The Siege
Wanted: Dead or Alive
True Lies
Rules of Engagement

To name a few.

Last edited by bs13690; 11-19-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Removed Munich since it is based on a true story.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
You don't see Irish or Scottish accents stereotyped as villains, mainly just accents that are more English. I don't know my way around the different English accents, but I want to say that it is the London accent that they typically use. It is stereotyped as sophisticated, but has the potential to seem sinister and sneering.

As a southerner I have noticed that we are portrayed as villains. The twangy mountain accent, like you hear in Pitt's character in Inglorious Basterds, and you see in Deliverance, is associated with characters that are sort of crazy, unpredictable, violent, and stupid. My accent is the coastal one, the one that Hollywood associates with the big, fat, racist plantation owner, or the corrupt politician.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
You don't see Irish or Scottish accents stereotyped as villains, mainly just accents that are more English. I don't know my way around the different English accents, but I want to say that it is the London accent that they typically use. It is stereotyped as sophisticated, but has the potential to seem sinister and sneering.

As a southerner I have noticed that we are portrayed as villains. The twangy mountain accent, like you hear in Pitt's character in Inglorious Basterds, and you see in Deliverance, is associated with characters that are sort of crazy, unpredictable, violent, and stupid. My accent is the coastal one, the one that Hollywood associates with the big, fat, racist plantation owner, or the corrupt politician.
Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of them portraying villians from Russia or Hungary

Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of them portraying villians from Russia or Hungary
Right - Germans, Eastern europeans, Russians, have all been enemies of the U.S., and that makes a great villain for American audiences.

I mean, I grew up as a young child scribbling crayon drawings of American planes bombing Russian tanks - because this was what I was fed through television and movies.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
So what about movies like "Enemy at the gates" where the "good guys" were all supposed to be Russian but had English accents and the Germans all had american accents?

Or Star wars, where the Empire officers were all english, Luke and Leia were americans, Obi Wan was english, Watto was arab, the Nemoidians were chinese and Yoda spoke like a retarded Kermit the frog even though he was supposedly 900 years old and really wise.

They're just monvies. There are LOTS of good British actors. And, an english accent is pleasant to listen to. They are gonna show up in LOTS of movies. They are also gonna be cast as bad guys. Most of the actors mentioned have played "good guy" roles too.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 AM

No, I think it goes deeper than that.

An English accent sounds very calm and sure of its self but at the same time seems emotionless, I think it is INTENTIONALLY chosen for the "bad guy" role, its the perfect accent for an evil guy.

Also most bad guys tend to be former enemies (Germans, Russians, Southerners and Brits) I suspect the Chinese will be the next bad guys on the scene

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM

^ Good point about "emotionless". That is a key to the English accent. It is almost as if it conveys logic, rational confidence, wealth, and taste.

I think it is interesting how accents of the romance languages are literally portrayed as "romantic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts