U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM

984 posts, read 1,476,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It seems like I never hear much of anything about the internet in the mainstream press, and mainstream media.

-I subscribe to the LA Times and there's virtually nothing about the net.

No big overview of the net, where it's been, where it's going.
Nothing about whats going on, on message boards, blogs, etc.
Nothing about the popularity of internet sites. TV ratings and box office success is talked about. But nothing on youtube moving up to the top 10 most visited sites or another site moving down.
In the business section, there's nothing on ebay, even though it has 150 million or 200 million users, or whatever the number is.

On TV, it seems like there's very, very little about the net.

Wikipedia (although it has it's flaws) is the largest collection of knowledge in the history of the world. You think that'd be newsworthy. Peoples lives have changed because of myspace, flickr. It's like it doesn't exist.

Mainstream news, I gave up on that years ago.

What would you want to see covered in newspapers or on tv?
I agree completely that the internet is completely trivialized and not discussed at all in the media and in general society unless your talking to techie/IT people, as you say the largest collection of information in history in Wikipedia. When you compared to say 15 years ago the amount of information available is amazing, but as you say in general society/media its big deal/so what mentality there is much more excitement over the latest harry potter book etc.

What does make the media is Facebook and twitter - to be honest never seen the big deal about social media websites, there fairly dull to me, there are much more interesting sites on the web such as City Data, Wikipedia - Endless sources of information/forums/topics/ideas that completely change your world, enhance your knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM

31,679 posts, read 28,337,027 times
Are you talking about entertainment or news because the cable TV news people report on what's going on with the net? They have to fill a lot of hours. Many of their guests come from the net.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:01 AM

6,216 posts, read 3,147,773 times
Maybe.....but I'm not sure if "ignore" is the word.

Let's take the Austin American Statesman. Since the start of the century, I've seen them push things off on the Net. Have addresses here and there to refer to in their paper.

I think it has gotten to the point where the paper is not even worth it anymore. No entertainment section, no comics, or at least, that is the way it was looking when I gave up on TV. Instead of telling me what was on each day, it was one page for the week and "various programming" during the daylight.

Either they thought that the internet could provide that information or they just didn't care, they created a vacuum for others to fill in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts