Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Am I the only one who goes to a newspaper online story, haphazardly? That is, I don't set out to read any particular newspaper but I'm somewhere that compels me to want to read a particular story that just happens to be on that news media's website. I definitely don't sit down at the computer and think I'm going to sit there and read The NY Times, for example, and then read all of the stories on their website. I'm there for one particular story and then I'm gone. I understand they all shouldn't just give it away but if more people read news media websites the way I do, a compulsory advertisement, before I get to read the story that drew me there, makes more sense. I think they have always associated "pay" with "newspaper" and they should start thinking "pay" with "story" only have the advertisers pay and don't give readers the option to close the ad before it's viewed in it's entirety. The ads should be videos like commercials. If I watch a TV show online like V, for example, I have to watch a brief commercial, why not for news media stories?
Short of the classifieds, local coupons and back yard news types of articles...most people do the same thing you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM

311 posts, read 1,057,959 times
I enjoy reading the local (physical) newspaper for some reason, I don't get it daily but I get the giant weekend version. Not sure why, considering it contains the exact stories I've been reading online on their website for free throughout the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts