U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM

241 posts, read 443,911 times

Advertisements

Naruto and Vampire hunter cool
^_*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,366,088 times
Ninja scroll obviously

Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM

677 posts, read 1,493,637 times
I haven't seen that movie but I used to be huge into anime so I may be able to help. If you like anime you might also want to check out manga - Japanese graphic novels.

Anime Movies
-Castle in the Sky
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Spirited Away
-The Cowboy Bebop Movie
-My Neighbor Totoro (I haven't seen this one yet but I've heard it's good)

Anime Series
-FLCL (MUST SEE, it's fantastically random)
-Rurouni Kenshin (Fantastic, lots of action and bits of humor)
-YuYu Hakusho
-Cowboy Bebop
-Infinite Ryvius
-Witch Hunter Robin
-Yu-Gi-Oh (not the kiddie American version, the Japanese version is actually quite dark)
-Inuyasha

Manga
-Kindaichi Case Files
-Many anime have been created from manga (or vice versa), so you'll be able to find quite a few anime series in manga form.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk any more anime I could do this alllll day.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM

677 posts, read 1,493,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Chango,

Have you seen mark crilley's videos on youtube? He's a manga, anime author. Does some great drawing videos, how to draw manga. His series is Miki Falls. Not sure if anyone here has read it.

YouTube - markcrilley's Channel
Ah! Mark Crilley is so talented! His videos inspired me to start drawing and now I'm hooked! I've been meaning to buy his books for some time now...I need to get on that.

I wanted to give you reps for that but I've gotta spread the love.

Ooh yes and check out Trigun as recommended by others

Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,360,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Ah! Mark Crilley is so talented! His videos inspired me to start drawing and now I'm hooked! I've been meaning to buy his books for some time now...I need to get on that.

I wanted to give you reps for that but I've gotta spread the love.

Ooh yes and check out Trigun as recommended by others
\

I'm not really into anime/manga, but I saw his videos on there one day. 200,000 subscribers, wow. I like his face and hair drawings, and also he has a really good one on how to draw wings. Something you dont see everyday.

I used his method for drawing a face, it came out pretty good.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,476,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I agree. Anything by Miyazaki is a good place to start.
Seconded. I didn't get far into Moribito, but I really enjoyed what I watched.

Last Exile is another good one, as is Cowboy Bebop, the Place Promised in our Early Days, FLCL, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi,, Grave of the Fireflies, Lucky Star, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Samurai X, most of the Gundam series, Gunslinger Girl.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,697,986 times
I don't care much for "action/detective" anime, but I liked PAPRIKA.

All the Ghibli stuff is great, looking forward to PONYO.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,522,283 times
I love anime! My favorites are Cowboy Bebop,Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,140,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I love anime! My favorites are Cowboy Bebop,Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell.
I've been watching all three.... good stuff too!

I'm finding I like the japanimation shows that are drawn and presented more realistically, but not the ones where they have kitty ears, morph their shape to show emotion or have fluffy cutsey-wootsy sidekicks.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,752,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
Seconded. I didn't get far into Moribito, but I really enjoyed what I watched.

Last Exile is another good one, as is Cowboy Bebop, the Place Promised in our Early Days, FLCL, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi,, Grave of the Fireflies, Lucky Star, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Samurai X, most of the Gundam series, Gunslinger Girl.
I second Last Exile it is a nice "soft" anime for people that either don't dig the over the top stuff or are just getting into it. I love the animation style, characters and story and everyone I've suggested it to (anime fan or not) has enjoyed it.

Oh and another fun one that is a bit off from standard anime is Planetes. It is a hard scifi anime based around a near future where the junk cluttering our orbit has become a threat to space travel so a group is formed to deal with it. Most of the episodes deal directly with these "garbage collectors" and their job.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread... even a couple I haven't watched. Guess I'll need to come back and make some notes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts