U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:24 AM

5,421 posts, read 8,232,530 times

Advertisements

Afro Samurai was pretty BA, but my best advice regarding Anime fandom is: Don't.. as much as you can talk to people about it on the internet you will have a hard time finding friends in real life who will be that into it, unless you are on a college campus.

Anime eats up a lot of time, time that could be used for outdoor pursuits..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 AM

24 posts, read 21,622 times
I'm sure you've already gotten your fair share of answers...but oh well.

First thing is first, start off with the Walt Disney of Japan. Just like you would recommend Disney Classics to any people whom are looking to get into English Animation. His works really are beautiful...and I'd suggest both Kiki's Delivery Service (While slightly childish, beautiful in a classic sort of way) and Spirited Away, which has a WHOLE LOT of imagination.

If those begin to get too childish for you, I'd definitely recommend you watch Death Note. That series was so amazing, it literally had you on the edge of your seat. I've watched it so many times I can't even count, it's simply amazing.

Second of all...and probably a lot of people on these forums will disagree, but I NEVER watch anything anime-wise that has been dubbed into English. Usually the voice acting is just terrible, and many of the companies that dub the anime seriously change the story around and in my opinion mutilate it. I've been such a big fan of subs since I got into anime that to watch anything dubbed besides a few good studious is a taboo for me.

(Am I taking this to seriously? )

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,470,828 times
A personal favourite of mine is "Neon Genesis Evangelion". You can say what you want about it? but It's still a good watch and an interesting take on the giant robot genre.

As for the Dub/Sub debate, I'm pretty ambivalent. They both serve their purposes, and these days many Dubs can actually be equal (or better) than their Japanese counterpart. I see no reason to prefer one over the other and often end up enjoying both versions.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 06-28-2010 at 02:23 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 PM

76 posts, read 259,762 times
My knowledge of anime is limited to what I catch on Adult Swim. Therefore, the only anime I've ever really LOVED was Cowboy Bebop and perhaps Death Note. Every other anime gets on my nerves because I can't relate to the dialogue and mannerisms of the characters. In addition, I HATE animes where characters talk politics behind giant mechs.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 AM

910 posts, read 1,999,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai View Post
I'm sure you've already gotten your fair share of answers...but oh well.

First thing is first, start off with the Walt Disney of Japan. Just like you would recommend Disney Classics to any people whom are looking to get into English Animation. His works really are beautiful...and I'd suggest both Kiki's Delivery Service (While slightly childish, beautiful in a classic sort of way) and Spirited Away, which has a WHOLE LOT of imagination.

If those begin to get too childish for you, I'd definitely recommend you watch Death Note. That series was so amazing, it literally had you on the edge of your seat. I've watched it so many times I can't even count, it's simply amazing.

Second of all...and probably a lot of people on these forums will disagree, but I NEVER watch anything anime-wise that has been dubbed into English. Usually the voice acting is just terrible, and many of the companies that dub the anime seriously change the story around and in my opinion mutilate it. I've been such a big fan of subs since I got into anime that to watch anything dubbed besides a few good studious is a taboo for me.

(Am I taking this to seriously? )
I'm not a young person like probably everybody else here is but I LIKE anime, when my kids were probably 11 & 13 I introduced them to "Saylor Moon" which I video-taped during the day and then we watched together in the evening. My daughter who is now 25, has in turn introduced me to "Bleach", which at first I didn't think I could get into but ended up addicted to. It's SO different from American animation it was a refreshing change, IMO it's also very well written, the characters so varied and well-developed they feel as if they're real, and even though there's a lot of violence it's balanced out by a lot of silly humor (I don't mind the Japanese way of portraying emotions in an exaggerated way...).

I too recommend the Studio Gibli movies, I've watched several of them, my favorite was "Howl's Moving Castle". Since I saw the first part of Death Note in movie form (need to watch Part 2) I was not interested in the anime but my daughter saw it and liked it.

Lastly, I totally agree with you on the dubbing. In the beginning I chose English dubbing but the site where I began watching "Bleach" only had it subbed so I got used to it. My daughter always watched in Japanese with subs because she was studying the language, now I too am a "sub snob" and have come to also love the Japanese language and have learned a lot of phrases and words this way, I've also liked a lot of the "Bleach" theme songs. Some times I had no choice but to watch an episode dubbed because the original didn't want to load and I didn't like it, the voices didn't seem to suit the characters and the acting was often mediocre; I was thankful to speak Spanish and to have found episodes with Spanish subtitles as another alternative.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,476,791 times
Quote:
Though I am a fan of Miyazaki, if you're looking for the "Walt Disney" of anime, that would arguably be Osamu Tezuka, often referred to as "the godfather of anime", whose works were heavily Disney based (especially art wise). Tezuka's works (such as Metropolis, Black Jack and Astro Boy) are highly recommended.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

335 posts, read 1,043,044 times
Quote:
I loved death note. Even ended up buying the books.

Will be checking out the other two shows you recommended but was wondering if you could recommend other shows along the lines of death note. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,470,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
Though I am a fan of Miyazaki, if you're looking for the "Walt Disney" of anime, that would arguably be Osamu Tezuka, often referred to as "the godfather of anime", whose works were heavily Disney based (especially art wise). Tezuka's works (such as Metropolis, Black Jack and Astro Boy) are highly recommended.
Also Tezuka's Jungle Emperor Leo (Aka. Kimba The White Lion), was the basis for Disney's The Lion King. Kimba/Simba It caused abit of an uproar with fans, but I think Tezuka would be proud, that he influenced the man (company) who influenced him first.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-15-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,366,088 times
Last Airbender tv show isnt bad but its for younger audiences although I know some adults that like the series.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:50 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,140,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Last Airbender tv show isnt bad but its for younger audiences although I know some adults that like the series.
I'm one of those adults. I didn't even have to be embarrased to buy it because I have three little kids who love it too. I wouldn't call it anime though; it's got hefty asian influence but it is clearly American in it's vibe and pacing. The same with Teen Titans, another of my guilty cartoon pleasures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts