U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 AM

2,050 posts, read 4,760,616 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty massive collection of the stuff over 10 years of collecting it. For me its always been something to pass the time. Ive made friends through anime and I dont really think of it as anything special or life-changing, but its pretty much like any other medium of storytelling or entertainment.

Some shows I recommend:

anything by Satoshi Kon. My favorite director, whom I just found out died of cancer. Im pretty devastated by that news. He created the following: Magnetic Rose, Tokyo Godfathers, PErfect BLue, Millenium Actress (my favorite), Paprika, and the tv series Paranoia Agent.

Anything by Studio Ghibli or Hayao Miyazaki. Some great ones are Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, Ponyo

Others:
Haibane Renmei - a young girl awakens to find herself falling into a world she doesnt know. What is this world and why is she here? Its a really thought provoking series that combines philosophy and religion.

Now and then, Here or there - a boy gets transported into a world at war. Now he has to survive in a place ruled by a quite ruthless and mad dictator and save a strange girl.

Kino's journey - Kino basically is a traveler. Kinos exploits to various fictional countries seem to explore humankind, and its various characteristics, both good and bad.

Planetes- a misfit bunch of astronauts who are paid to clean up space debris and the personal stories that connect them together.

Berserk- Guts is a former mercenary and he gets drawn into a sort of war in which his group led by a rather brutal guy named Griffith fight their way to the royal Court.

Cowboy Bebop- a collection of episodic stories about a man named SPike an his crew of bounty hunters in space. This show has a huge following and absolutely incredible soundtracks by Yoko Kanno.

Baccano- this is sort of a series of stories involving crime, love and many other things..it reminds me of an animated Pulp Fiction in a way, but not as comedic.

Twelve Kingdoms- a somewhat spoiled high school girl finds herself transported into a strange world and becomes the ruler of one of the twelve kingdoms. This series is very long, but extremely detailed and has its own fictional intricate religious system. Fascinating series.

Last Exile- Steam Punk styled show about two young kids who fly during a war between two countries, and overseen by a strange race of aliens. They find a mysterious girl and end up serving on a battle airship.

Fate Stay Night- Shirou is the son of a sorcerer and he gets involved in the Holy Grail War and is bestowed a servant named Sabre. He must use her to fight the war.

El Hazard- a group of students get transported into a fantastic and dangerous fantasy world

Kaze no Yojimbo- a man ventures back to a town after an incident on a train in search of another man and to solve the mysteries behind what happened

Genshiken- This basically explores the often bizarre world of otaku by telling the story of a school club and the crazy things its members do.

Trigun- Vash the Stampede is a wanted man with a bounty on him. Except that hes more of a danger to himself and kind of a goofball. Two girls are sent to keep an eye on him and towns explode in the wake.

Spice and Wolf- a man discovers a young wolf goddess who used to be worshipped by villagers as a harvest god. She journeys with him helping him with merchant decisions (economics buffs would like this)

Sora no Woto- a young girl joins the military as a bugler. She is assigned to a rather inactive faction that must protect and preserve a small isolated town, but quickly learns some life lessons along the way.

Escaflowne-a fictional story about a young man and his EScaflowne mech and a quite epic war

Gunslinger Girl- an agency creates assassins from young girls who are dying and gives them life in exchange for taking it.

Noir- two female assassins who try to discover who they really are and what created them. they get caught up in events far beyond their control.

Saikano- This anime tells the story of a girl named Chise who is abducted by the military and changed into a killing machine and her unfortunate boyfriend who has to cope with it.

Read or Die- through her love for books and reading, Yomiko is gifted with the power to control paper and she discovers a plot to take over the world and control human thought.

Welcome to the NHK-a story of a guy who is one of those introverted people who never come outside. Japanese refer to them as hikikomori. They are socially bankrupt basically. The guy believes in a conspiracy about an organization called NHK that creates hikikomori to take over the world, but a girl tries to cure him.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - a girl discovers she can time-leap after an accident. This leads to some interesting scenarios.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 AM

378 posts, read 798,302 times
I agree with everyone who recommended Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film.
I love their animated movies

Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,470,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I have a pretty massive collection of the stuff over 10 years of collecting it. For me its always been something to pass the time. Ive made friends through anime and I dont really think of it as anything special or life-changing, but its pretty much like any other medium of storytelling or entertainment.

Some shows I recommend:

anything by Satoshi Kon. My favorite director, whom I just found out died of cancer. Im pretty devastated by that news. He created the following: Magnetic Rose, Tokyo Godfathers, PErfect BLue, Millenium Actress (my favorite), Paprika, and the tv series Paranoia Agent.
That's very sad news and just when he was really starting to make a name for himself. I'll go and watch my copies of Perfect Blue and Paprika again.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,366,088 times
Quote:

Some shows I recommend:

Anything by Studio Ghibli or Hayao Miyazaki. Some great ones are Whisper of the Heart, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, Ponyo

Others:
Haibane Renmei - a young girl awakens to find herself falling into a world she doesnt know. What is this world and why is she here? Its a really thought provoking series that combines philosophy and religion.

Now and then, Here or there - a boy gets transported into a world at war. Now he has to survive in a place ruled by a quite ruthless and mad dictator and save a strange girl.

Kino's journey - Kino basically is a traveler. Kinos exploits to various fictional countries seem to explore humankind, and its various characteristics, both good and bad.

Planetes- a misfit bunch of astronauts who are paid to clean up space debris and the personal stories that connect them together.

Berserk- Guts is a former mercenary and he gets drawn into a sort of war in which his group led by a rather brutal guy named Griffith fight their way to the royal Court.

Cowboy Bebop- a collection of episodic stories about a man named SPike an his crew of bounty hunters in space. This show has a huge following and absolutely incredible soundtracks by Yoko Kanno.

Baccano- this is sort of a series of stories involving crime, love and many other things..it reminds me of an animated Pulp Fiction in a way, but not as comedic.

Twelve Kingdoms- a somewhat spoiled high school girl finds herself transported into a strange world and becomes the ruler of one of the twelve kingdoms. This series is very long, but extremely detailed and has its own fictional intricate religious system. Fascinating series.

Last Exile- Steam Punk styled show about two young kids who fly during a war between two countries, and overseen by a strange race of aliens. They find a mysterious girl and end up serving on a battle airship.

Fate Stay Night- Shirou is the son of a sorcerer and he gets involved in the Holy Grail War and is bestowed a servant named Sabre. He must use her to fight the war.

El Hazard- a group of students get transported into a fantastic and dangerous fantasy world

Kaze no Yojimbo- a man ventures back to a town after an incident on a train in search of another man and to solve the mysteries behind what happened

Genshiken- This basically explores the often bizarre world of otaku by telling the story of a school club and the crazy things its members do.

Trigun- Vash the Stampede is a wanted man with a bounty on him. Except that hes more of a danger to himself and kind of a goofball. Two girls are sent to keep an eye on him and towns explode in the wake.

Spice and Wolf- a man discovers a young wolf goddess who used to be worshipped by villagers as a harvest god. She journeys with him helping him with merchant decisions (economics buffs would like this)

Sora no Woto- a young girl joins the military as a bugler. She is assigned to a rather inactive faction that must protect and preserve a small isolated town, but quickly learns some life lessons along the way.

Escaflowne-a fictional story about a young man and his EScaflowne mech and a quite epic war

Gunslinger Girl- an agency creates assassins from young girls who are dying and gives them life in exchange for taking it.

Noir- two female assassins who try to discover who they really are and what created them. they get caught up in events far beyond their control.

Saikano- This anime tells the story of a girl named Chise who is abducted by the military and changed into a killing machine and her unfortunate boyfriend who has to cope with it.

Read or Die- through her love for books and reading, Yomiko is gifted with the power to control paper and she discovers a plot to take over the world and control human thought.

Welcome to the NHK-a story of a guy who is one of those introverted people who never come outside. Japanese refer to them as hikikomori. They are socially bankrupt basically. The guy believes in a conspiracy about an organization called NHK that creates hikikomori to take over the world, but a girl tries to cure him.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - a girl discovers she can time-leap after an accident. This leads to some interesting scenarios.
Any of these adult themed? I dont mean hentai but i mean violence gore blood etc. Those are the only animes i really like to watch

Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 AM

2,050 posts, read 4,760,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Any of these adult themed? I dont mean hentai but i mean violence gore blood etc. Those are the only animes i really like to watch
Now and Then Here or There
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Twelve Kingdoms
Kaze no Yojimbo
Gunslinger Girl
Noir
Saikano

These all have decidedly adult themes and plenty of violence. But not just for violence sake. Berserk is probably the closest to what you like and its very good.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM

7,373 posts, read 13,366,088 times
Quote:
Now and Then Here or There
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano
Twelve Kingdoms
Kaze no Yojimbo
Gunslinger Girl
Noir
Saikano

These all have decidedly adult themes and plenty of violence. But not just for violence sake. Berserk is probably the closest to what you like and its very good.

Thanks. Seen berserk and cowboy beebop. I love berserk. Beebop was ok. Will check out the rest. Looking for some new anime to watch. Just picked up afro samurai resurrection.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM

68 posts, read 118,176 times
There's just a lot out there to like, but Digimon is one series I'd recommend heartily.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM

123 posts, read 190,594 times
I like conan
When I just started watching conan,I am younger than conan,now I am more older than Kudou Shinichi and Mouri Ran,if conan don't become Kudou Shinichi any more,I will more older than Kogorou Mouri
I don't know if your guys look at this or call them like that!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 PM

6,841 posts, read 12,556,101 times
I can understand liking Anime as entertainment but I never really understood the people who cosplay (being so obsessed as to dress up as those characters.)

I used to like it a lot though recently it seems more and more Anime shows are just spinoffs of old, overused themes.

My all time favorite series is Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts