U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 AM

23 posts, read 59,791 times

Advertisements

Hi, I looking for the best place to live in Oregon for a single straight woman in her 40s in a dog friendly environment (I have a pug). Looking for a nice community, not far from the coast and also near day hiking. I recently found out I can not eat gluten (wheat etc) so a community that understands and has options available would be great. I would love to be in a community with other singles so maybe I would have the opportunity of meeting a soulmate and a community that also has families as I enjoy the balance. I have an 80 year old mother I would also want to relocate in an assisted living facility near where I reside. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 6,063,346 times
I think you should consider Eugene. It's vegan/gluten-allergy/etc friendly. I had the best cheesecake in the world there, and it was vegan. (Sweet Life). There are also several good assisted care facilities.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 17,188 times
Portland or Eugene, definitely. I spent five years in Eugene and I can tell you they have a lot of options for people with alternative diets.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 AM

57 posts, read 149,490 times
Just to add to the previous comments, Eugene has some great dog parks, so definitely no problem with finding dog-frinedly environment here. On the gluten-free front, you may want to check out www.glutenfreeeugene.org . Apparently, there is a gluten intolerance support group in town and lots of restaurants and grocery stores offering gluten-free options.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM

27 posts, read 65,413 times
Cool eugene as a place to live

Having lived here for years i can say this a college town. Duck country! If you have any seasonal allergies DO NOT MOVE HERE! Eugene is the seasonal allergy capital of the WORLD, not just the USA. We grow a lot of grass here and the pollen count gets very high. Normal is 200. It was 800 and above for at least 3mos and even reached 990! Housing is rather expensive if renting. Good luck finding an apt. that has a washer/dry hookup for less the $750 and that is a one bedroom! I would look in Springfield for newer housing. Much of Eugene is older homes if living near downtown. Buying a home you could do OK if you live way out of town.. High crime in the west part due to gangs and stay away from the bike paths at night. Gangs! I live inthe west part and there are frequent car breakins even the decent neighborhoods.. Coburg is a beautiful town and you might look there.Very cloudy and very rainy in the fall and winter from Oct to at least May. You will have to supplement your Vit D as you will only see the sun for 4mos. There is a lot of depression due to this. Healthcare is good as long as you don't need to be hospitalized. You must go to Springfield to find a hospital unless you only need the ER and not be admitted. If you do go to the ER at Sacred Heart in downtown Eugene and need to be in the hospital you and your insurance will have to pay for an ambulance ride to Springfield! I would never consider retiring here. There are some good assisted living facilities here for your mom. Expensive but nice. Good luck! As soon as my mom's trust is settled I am out of here to FL where all the apts allow dogs and cost at least $150 to $200 a month cheaper. I need sun for my mental health!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,419,663 times
Chesgold, I too hope your mom's trust settles soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area