U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM

3,165 posts, read 4,814,335 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know from Eugenites who fly regularly whether they prefer flying in and out of Eugene or end up driving to PDX for air travel. It seems when I check fares it's always cheaper to fly out of PDX. Do you think it's worth it to pay extra for the convenience of flying in and out of EUG, or do you prefer to make the 2-hr or so drive up to Portland to save cash? Or am I wrong about the fare difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,420,039 times
I don't know about flying to/from Eugene anymore -- it's been so long since I lived there, but I noticed the fare difference too. I'd probably fly into Portland and rent a car. I suppose it depends on how often you plan to visit and how much money you have that's expendable.

Here's a quote from the famed humorist Dave Barry:

Eugene is located in southwest Oregon, approximately 278 billion miles from anything. To get there, you have to take a series of "commuter" airplanes, each one smaller than the last, until there isn't room for both you and the pilot, and you have to fly yourself. "Eugene is that way!" the airline personnel tell you, gesturing vaguely. "Just look for the rain cloud!"

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM

231 posts, read 708,461 times
I always fly in and out of Eugene. It's so much more convenient. If you consider that you need to arrive at least 1 hour before your flight (and probably 1.5 hours if you are paranoid like me), then you add on a 2 hour drive to Portland (plus extra 0.5 hours to cover potential traffic issues), then you will be leaving your house 3-4 hours before your flight. For me, it's definitely not worth it.

The Eugene airport is really nice also. Way better than I would expect from such a small city. The short wait for your luggage from the single little luggage carousel is a joy compared to those big airports.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM

2,280 posts, read 3,838,157 times
I'm a big fan of EUG as well. It's not always more expensive than PDX, but most of the time it is. For example, pricing a flight to Orange County for this November, Eugene comes up cheaper.

The biggest selling point is the huge convenience factor, particularly with the parking.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM

57 posts, read 149,524 times
I second the comments about EUG being more convenient, but I sometimes do fly out of PDX if it is a direct flight (vs. having to change planes when flying out of EUG). I wish PDX had more flights to Europe other than the Delta flight to Amsterdam...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 AM

6,027 posts, read 13,092,155 times
It kind of depends for us. If we're just hopping a state or two up or over, or flying somewhere relatively close for a day trip, we like EUG. But if we're going a further distance, we feel that it's worth it to fly out of/into PDX.

Our airline of choice is always Southwest Airlines, and they don't fly out of EUG (that we know of), so we have to go to PDX to fly our favorite airline. Southwest often has really good deals and specials (off their website), so it's especially worth it when they do.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM

3,165 posts, read 4,814,335 times
Thanks for the input, this is pretty much what I expected. I also prefer non-stop flights over having to make connections so that would also influence which airport I would use. I found the drive between the two cities on I-5 to be very smooth and easy (except missing an exit in that freeway loop in Portland and having to go around twice) so it would not be much of a deterrent if I could save money and time that way. I would try to schedule arrivals/departures around the rush-hour traffic in PDX.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM

27 posts, read 65,435 times
Default Eugene vs PDX

Eugene over PDX if you have time and don't want to drive home from Portland after a long flight.Lots of flights to PDX from Eug are full so must book early. If going south Allegiant Air has direct flight from here to Las Vegas and LAX but are expensive! Only fly 2 days a week! Always consider traffic! Portland has a terrible rush hour that goes from 3pm to 7pm. Crazy fast drivers and lots of on/off exits and entrances. If you don't mind a nights stay I would choose PDX over EUG!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 AM

83 posts, read 374,895 times
what airline is good to use out of Eugene?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

57 posts, read 149,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegirl View Post
what airline is good to use out of Eugene?
FlyEUG.com - Eugene Airport - Airline Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or