U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM
 
3,109 posts, read 3,850,702 times
Reputation: 2811

Advertisements

BTW, there is ONE positive thing I can say about that area: I was awfully fond of the wild turkeys that roamed around the subdivision we had our house in. That was pretty unique.

And at least being there during the leaves changing helped me understand how the U of O chose those god-awful colors of theirs (for those unaware, the leaves on the trees down there turn the *exact* same shades of green and gold that the Ducks use).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 6,868,824 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
You seem to be an anger magnet. Now, if you could just figure a way to monetize this skill, you'd make a fortune!

But seriously, I have lived here for 2+ years and have not had a single comment directed my way regarding meat-eating, etc. Not once. Not even a hint. Plus, I've eaten many times at Track Town Pizza and McMenamin's near campus (probably you ate at one of those places).

As for asking for something with meat at any restaurant in town, I haven't experienced any problems at all. Again, not once (does that make sense? How can it be "again" and also "not once"? Need to work on my grammar). Perhaps you were eating in one of the vegetarian/vegan places around town? If so, you're sorta yanking their chain by trying to order meat, right? Otherwise, I have no idea why you would ever experience such exaggerated responses. In fact, I'm getting a little jealous. Nobody really pays much attention to anything I do in this town...
I have to second this. I have never been accosted by angry hippies, angry vegans, or aggro bicyclists in two years of living in Portland, or in dozens upon dozens of times ordering meat in very liberal, politically-active areas of Eugene (or Portland or Ashland for that matter).

I even order meat in front of my super-left wing, vegan friends and we all get along somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Hey people,

I will be travelling down from Vancouver,Canada to Eugene to attend the Ducks and Arizona Football game on Friday November 26.

I leave for Portland on the Saturday where I will then fly back to Vancouver, I'm just wondering if I could get an insight into the nightlife of Eugene? I'd like to experience a decent night out in Eugene.

I'll be 21 years of age so still young!


Thanks in Advance
Night life of Eugene... What night life? Haha. Seriously though, house parties seem to be the only night life there for young people. There is a club or two and a few bars, but... Nothing too exciting. It's all very chill there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 AM
 
3,109 posts, read 3,850,702 times
Reputation: 2811
Well done, Danny. Take something I said and turn it into something completely different. Whatever works for you. Anyone who spends any time in Eugene knows that it's Twilight Zone-esque in how different the vibe is there.

I've lived in both places. You have not. So clearly, you're the expert on it. Riiiight. Just admit that the place seems normal to you because you're essentially the type that you claim I "stereotyped".

Oregon has more in common with Texas beyond the fact that Portland stole the "Keep _____ Weird" slogan from Austin and tried to claim it from their own. Both places are areas where outsiders head to and tend to leave at some point because it's just too much to deal with, but the people who have always been there claim it's the best place ever and perfectly normal.

Here's a hint: WHen the people who have actually been around say you're out there, odds are you're out there. There's a reason why so many escape to Seattle - it's because Seattle isn't so out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Well done, Danny. Take something I said and turn it into something completely different. Whatever works for you. Anyone who spends any time in Eugene knows that it's Twilight Zone-esque in how different the vibe is there.

I've lived in both places. You have not. So clearly, you're the expert on it. Riiiight. Just admit that the place seems normal to you because you're essentially the type that you claim I "stereotyped".

Oregon has more in common with Texas beyond the fact that Portland stole the "Keep _____ Weird" slogan from Austin and tried to claim it from their own. Both places are areas where outsiders head to and tend to leave at some point because it's just too much to deal with, but the people who have always been there claim it's the best place ever and perfectly normal.

Here's a hint: WHen the people who have actually been around say you're out there, odds are you're out there. There's a reason why so many escape to Seattle - it's because Seattle isn't so out there.
I, for one, am glad Portland, Eugene and other towns have some "weirdness" to them. I can deal much better with that vibe, then the one of the "affluent professionals who happen to be socially liberal." Seattle is pretty yuppified for my taste. I lived there for a while and couldn't get over the fact that so many people think they are privileged some how. But hey, if that's the vibe you like, I'm happy you found your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
 
6,027 posts, read 13,092,155 times
Reputation: 6865
My husband would never have moved to Eugene - twice (we left for a year, missed it, and came back quick as we could) - if there was even a hint of any "shortage of meat" in this town. He's a total meat and potatoes guy. He goes into withdrawal if he goes more than 4 hours without being able to chow on some sort of charred dead thing. That is hilarious.

In fact, I'm from Texas and know good BBQ and yet the beef and pork here you can buy from local people is better than anything I ever had back in the Lone Star State. There is something about the food here, the meat here, the produce here... it's so good. James Beard (Grandfather of real food...) believed it, too.

Now, what people call BBQ here does make me giggle. Where I'm from, if it isn't smoked it isn't BBQ. But out here, if you cook it outside, even on a grill, they call it BBQ. That's blasphemous! So many times we've been invited to BBQ's and my mouth is all waterin' and I'm so looking forward to some good smoked ribs or brisket or smoked sausages (REAL smoked sausages...)... and you show up and find hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. Huh!?! What the heck?! These west coast people are crazy. It's not just Oregon. This happens in California and Washington state, too.

Luckily we've found quite a few really good places around town where they actually DO smoke a good BBQ like the real thing so we don't have to relocate. (I kid, sort of.)

The only sort of food Eugene is severely lacking of is decent Chinese and Italian. I'm sorry but Olive Garden does NOT count and P F Chang's is for yuppies or yippies or whatever you call rich trendy people these days.

We love Eugene and all it's weirdness. And I love that it's so earthy and casual. It's not about how things look here, it's about how things are. And it's not a place that advertises what's it's got, either. If you've got an open and intelligent mind about things, and you're a bit of a seeker, you'll "get it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
 
57 posts, read 149,518 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Luckily we've found quite a few really good places around town where they actually DO smoke a good BBQ like the real thing so we don't have to relocate. (I kid, sort of.)

The only sort of food Eugene is severely lacking of is decent Chinese and Italian. I'm sorry but Olive Garden does NOT count and P F Chang's is for yuppies or yippies or whatever you call rich trendy people these days.
Sad but true... there is actually a lot of cuisines not represented here at all (Jamaican, Cuban, Russian, etc.). I have not been able to find a single place in Eugene that serves dim sum. For Italian, Bepe & Gianni's and La Perla (both owned by the same people) are an OK choices, but that's about it. What would you consider to be good BBQ places in Eugene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Eugene, OR
231 posts, read 708,461 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olduvai2020 View Post
...What would you consider to be good BBQ places in Eugene?
Since HHE is not answering, I will chime in with my comments on Eugene BBQ.

Best authentic BBQ was Howling Coyote in Springfield...but then it closed.

Best authentic BBQ was then Wagon Yard in Springfield...until it closed also.

Now the best is Oklahoma Smokehouse BBQ on Hwy 99N. They don't have any seating to speak of, so it's takeout only. I have not written a review of this place yet, since every time I write a glowing review of a BBQ place, it shuts down within 6 months.

There's a new BBQ food cart (but it is actually a huge fancy trailer) on 7th near Polk (in a parking lot near that intersection). But they only serve brisket on Mondays and Fridays. So far, I have not been organized enough to try it out. Business looks very slow when I have driven by, so it doesn't look like they will be around long. Too bad. We need more authentic smoked BBQ.

Other random notes: BBQ King on 18th does not serve brisket. Hole in the Wall BBQ does not either. For me, that's a thumbs down for both. Papa's Soul Food Kitchen is not Texas smoked BBQ at all. It's something else entirely, and definitely not suited to my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
 
6,027 posts, read 13,092,155 times
Reputation: 6865
BBQ King and Papa's Soul Food satisfy us pretty good. At papa's the brisket is good, the ribs only OK. BBQ King has better ribs. Papa's gets us more for the atmosphere, I think. Wish BBQ King was open more regularly.

There's a place on River Road (I don't know the name... Oklahoma Smokehouse, perhaps? It's a little place - outdoor seating only - with a chain link fence in front of what I think is an automotive parts store?) That place is hit or miss - we've had it really good there and we've had it really awful there. The first time we went the ribs were unbelievably good. The second time we went they were greasy and tough. The chicken thighs were amazing that time, though. When it's good it's really good, though. We usually call ahead to see what's fresh and what they're cooking that day. Really nice people, too. When it's a good day, this is our 1st choice for BBQ in Eugene. Their ribs - when they are good - are better than any other place we've tried in town. Their BBQ chicken is always good.

I can't stand Hole in the Wall. I don't have anything nice to say about that place so I'll just stop now.

With pretty much any of the BBQ places around town, we've found it's best to call ahead and see what's cooking and when things are going to be ready.


Ooooooh... and Olduvai you mentioned Russian. I love eastern European foods. Especially this time of year. I make that sort of food at home quite a bit during the colder months and the house smells so good. Just made a huge thing of cabbage rolls and herbed dumplings yesterday. I heard that Eugene used to have a place that had Russian food, but it closed. Too bad!! (Zolotoy Petvshok?) Somebody needs to open up another place. I miss Piroshky Piroshky in Seattle.

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 11-03-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 AM
 
57 posts, read 149,518 times
Reputation: 46
Thanks a lot for your feedback, Mr. E and HHE! Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Eugene, OR
231 posts, read 708,461 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
BBQ King and Papa's Soul Food satisfy us pretty good. At papa's the brisket is good, the ribs only OK. BBQ King has better ribs. Papa's gets us more for the atmosphere, I think. Wish BBQ King was open more regularly.
HHElf, you call yourself a Texan yet you claim to like the brisket at Papa's Soul Food?!?!?!

I think you are being too influenced by the atmosphere (which, I agree, is very cool there).

In my less-than-humble opinion, Papa's brisket is definitely NOT smoked. It's also NOT served dry, like any good Texas style BBQ should be. Instead, it's doused, no, drowned, no, floating, in a deep pool of BBQ sauce that they dump over the top (way too much vinegar in the sauce for my taste, but that's another issue). It's also super fatty (all that fat would never survive ten hours in the smoker). When I ordered it, the plate was more than 50% solid white fat. Big thumbs down for me.

I have never been to the place you mention on River Road. It does not sound like Oklahoma BBQ Smokehouse which is located on 99N. I found a place called Cordy's Country BBQ in Google, but the reviews on Yelp are sorta so-so-ish. I think I am going to try the BBQ food "cart" on 7th this Friday and check out the brisket. On the other hand, BBQ from Oklahoma Smokehouse would be really nice for the football game on Saturday. Hmmm...decisions, decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top