U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,811,757 times

Advertisements

Hey people,

I will be travelling down from Vancouver,Canada to Eugene to attend the Ducks and Arizona Football game on Friday November 26.

I leave for Portland on the Saturday where I will then fly back to Vancouver, I'm just wondering if I could get an insight into the nightlife of Eugene? I'd like to experience a decent night out in Eugene.

I'll be 21 years of age so still young!

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,430,211 times
You might check out the local entertainment paper for happenings:

Eugene Weekly : 9.30.10

The only time I ever go to Eugene is to see a concert so other than music, I'm not sure what else goes on. I imagine you'll find plenty of parties after the Ducks game, just be careful not to find yourself in a riot!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 3,856,760 times
I think you will find that there isn't a nightlife. There's something about that city, even though it's home to a major university, it just doesn't have a scene. At all. Personally I think it's due to the overabundance of angry aging hippies, but I have no empirical data to back this up.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
This is a REALLY casual place. There is just about nothing to do that smacks of sophistication, so if that is your scene, you will have to travel to Portland. If you have formal clothing, it will mold here. lol

Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,707,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I think you will find that there isn't a nightlife. There's something about that city, even though it's home to a major university, it just doesn't have a scene. At all. Personally I think it's due to the overabundance of angry aging hippies, but I have no empirical data to back this up.

They're mostly angry?

I determined Eugene wouldn't be my cup of tea awhile back. Portland all the way for what I need. Some college towns are nice, but after what I heard about Eugene, it seems limited and like someone said, lacks a scene.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM

12,137 posts, read 12,434,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffandbecky View Post
This is a REALLY casual place. There is just about nothing to do that smacks of sophistication, so if that is your scene, you will have to travel to Portland. If you have formal clothing, it will mold here. lol
What is your idea of sophistication? Granted, Eugene is short on art museums, but it's easy to have a good dinner and take in a show at the Hult, though that will set you back a C-note for the evening. For those of more modest means, there are a number of live music venues around town. What else do you have in mind?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
They're mostly angry?

I determined Eugene wouldn't be my cup of tea awhile back. Portland all the way for what I need. Some college towns are nice, but after what I heard about Eugene, it seems limited and like someone said, lacks a scene.
I call them "vigilante hippies". Hippies that are out to save the world, and don't care how much they have to impugn upon your rights in order to do it.

Case in point:

There's a hot dog stand down there called Dog-in-a-box. Great sausages. I'm outside this place one day, minding my own business eating a hot dog, and some Bohemian woman walks by and starts SCREAMING at me about how meat is murder (my reply, of course, was 'yes...tasty, tasty murder').

There's a pizza joint near the track on campus that has good calzones. I'm outside of it eating a calzone one afternoon, and this guy walks up to me and starts spouting off about how I'll live longer and have a more fulfilled life if I adopt a healthy vegan lifestyle. Again, I don't know this dude from Adam, but it didn't stop him from wasting my time.

Try asking for something with meat at any number of restaurants there, and the server will look at you like you just kicked a puppy in the face.

Went to a Bill Maher concert there last November. Aside from the fact that NOBODY would shut up while he was on stage (apparently thinking that Bill was there to talk to each of them individually), the amount of shouting and occasional slogan-chanting that would take off in the crowd anytime Bill brought up something like George W or Fox News or anything along those lines was so overwhelming that even Maher himself had to stop his act to tell everybody to shut up.

Not coincidentally, that's where I first heard the "angry aging hippie theory" - from Maher himself when he was describing the city and how it was probably the perfect place for him to be as an angry aging hippie.

So yes. They're angry.

Or college kids.

The latter I can forgive and admire.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM

231 posts, read 708,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I call them "vigilante hippies". Hippies that are out to save the world, and don't care how much they have to impugn upon your rights in order to do it.

Case in point:

There's a hot dog stand down there called Dog-in-a-box. Great sausages. I'm outside this place one day, minding my own business eating a hot dog, and some Bohemian woman walks by and starts SCREAMING at me about how meat is murder (my reply, of course, was 'yes...tasty, tasty murder').

There's a pizza joint near the track on campus that has good calzones. I'm outside of it eating a calzone one afternoon, and this guy walks up to me and starts spouting off about how I'll live longer and have a more fulfilled life if I adopt a healthy vegan lifestyle. Again, I don't know this dude from Adam, but it didn't stop him from wasting my time.

Try asking for something with meat at any number of restaurants there, and the server will look at you like you just kicked a puppy in the face.
You seem to be an anger magnet. Now, if you could just figure a way to monetize this skill, you'd make a fortune!

But seriously, I have lived here for 2+ years and have not had a single comment directed my way regarding meat-eating, etc. Not once. Not even a hint. Plus, I've eaten many times at Track Town Pizza and McMenamin's near campus (probably you ate at one of those places).

As for asking for something with meat at any restaurant in town, I haven't experienced any problems at all. Again, not once (does that make sense? How can it be "again" and also "not once"? Need to work on my grammar). Perhaps you were eating in one of the vegetarian/vegan places around town? If so, you're sorta yanking their chain by trying to order meat, right? Otherwise, I have no idea why you would ever experience such exaggerated responses. In fact, I'm getting a little jealous. Nobody really pays much attention to anything I do in this town...

By the way, Dog-in-a-Box sausages get the big thumbs down from me. I have not written an official review on them yet, but will get around to it someday. The first time I ate there, I ordered a polish sausage (or something like that), sat down and ate it, and was astonished how BAD it was. So I thought it must just be bad luck or somethin'. Whereupon, I ordered another sausage (some other type) and this time was less astonished when it turned out to be terrible as well. I guess for me, boiled sausage will just never make the grade.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM

88 posts, read 156,897 times
Xanathos,
Sounds like you have the same issues with Oregon that I had when living in AZ.
Hey when it gets that bad and you can't find anything good about a place--move or get transferred.
Actually, "you" might love Phoenix. You can shoot a steer from the sidewalk with your always present firearm, butcher it, render it, and move on dragging your fresh carcass behind you into the intersection of Central and Washington ....and no one will blink an eye.
Good Luck, and watch out for the crazed homicidal Vegans.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 AM

I was only down there for a couple of months. I just couldn't stand it any longer than that. My fiancee encountered similar issues while down there, so the decision to pack up was an easy one. It was really disappointing. I ended up relocating to Portland, and truthfully, that wasn't much better - just a different type of hippie that infests that area (arrogant bicyclists and people who are a little too much into drum circles and basing their associations strictly on political guidelines). That lasted almost a year. So I packed up again and moved to Seattle - a city I lived in for a few years about a decade ago and loved. We've been up here for about 3 weeks, and it's every bit as blissful as I remember it. Sure, there are hippie types out here, but they're "do your own thing" hippie types. And really, they're a minority to affluent professionals who happen to be fairly socially liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area