Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 PM

8 posts, read 39,160 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am new to the forums and recently posted about my wishes to move to oregon in the near future...within this year!!

I am becoming more and more intrigued by Eugene and the surrounding areas, but I have a lot more research to do before I jump on in.

I have been looking for rentals online on craigslist, mainly as well as the classified ads in local newspapers. They seem to have the most postings but one has to be leary with the useage of craigslist.

I would love to find a small cabin/cottage for rent near Eugene. Something secluded but close enough to Eugene to keep the conveniences of the city nearby. I am not very picky but a decent sized yard with mature landscaping for my two dogs would be great! I will not rent an apartment/duplex/triplex, etc. Something freestanding and most importantly quiet. I would like to sign a 6 mo lease to start as I will be new in town and it will give me room to explore without being stuck in a lease for a year.

Now that I have shared my dreams, I am looking to take the next step, and find a realtor/broker who can interact with me online in search of homes/cottage/cabin for rent in Southwestern Oregon. I am very intrested in Eugene, and Florence. I have been searching all of southwestern Oregon from Eugene to Medford thru the coastline but Eugene seems to be the best fit for me with all of the conveniences of city living and so many outdoor activities to do!

If anyone can make any recommendations/links for a realtor/broker or website to help me find a rental home it would be great. Maybe you have a property of your own you and you are looking for a renter in the next 6 mos to a year. Anything is possible online. I know there must be some websites regarding rental homes I simply will not find because I do not live in Oregon.

If you have any links that may be helpful to me please feel free to send them to me via DM. Ty in advance for any replies!

Last edited by cutecouple702; 10-22-2010 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM

231 posts, read 778,465 times
A couple of questions and some suggestions:

1. You did not mention your monthly budget. You also did not mention number of rooms and square footage hoped for. Also it would be useful to know the size of yard you prefer.

2. Would be good to define more clearly what you mean by "secluded". Perhaps, how far away from a neighbor's house do you want to be?

3. I have a slight suspicion that you do not quite understand the character of Eugene. You really don't need to be "outside the city" in order to have what you are looking for (of course, it depends on how you answer questions #1 and #2 above).

4. I have a feeling you could find something you like in the south. If not secluded enough, you could go a bit more south into the forest, but then you are REALLY getting secluded and there are far fewer rentals.

5. Rental agents:
-From my experience when I first moved here (I also rented for 6 months), all of the agents have some listings on craiglist. So you can find the agents and their websites via searching on craigslist.
-As for finding an agent to "interact with you online", I think it may be a little difficult. They don't make that much money per rental, so they can't really afford to have long, detailed back and forth conversations with a potential renter. Basically, you can see the listings online, ask questions about specific listings, and then schedule a time to meet the agent to see the place. That's about all you can expect.
-I doubt that there are any agents that cover more than one city, much less a wide section of southern Oregon. Probably even difficult to find one who can even cover Eugene and Florence. Sure, there will be a few desperate ones that might try, but I would doubt their expertise. (By the way, Eugene and Florence are VERY different places, so you should probably spend more time first deciding which one suits you. Maybe buy a cheap air ticket online and fly out here for a quick visit).
-6 month lease: When I was looking, I asked a few landlords if they would do a 6 month lease, and about half of them said yes. We eventually signed a 6 month lease and extended it month by month for another 3 months. Then we moved into a house we purchased here.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM

88 posts, read 181,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutecouple702 View Post
Hello all! I am new to the forums and recently posted about my wishes to move to oregon in the near future...within this year!!

I am becoming more and more intrigued by Eugene and the surrounding areas, but I have a lot more research to do before I jump on in.

I have been looking for rentals online on craigslist, mainly as well as the classified ads in local newspapers. They seem to have the most postings but one has to be leary with the useage of craigslist.

I would love to find a small cabin/cottage for rent near Eugene. Something secluded but close enough to Eugene to keep the conveniences of the city nearby. I am not very picky but a decent sized yard with mature landscaping for my two dogs would be great! I will not rent an apartment/duplex/triplex, etc. Something freestanding and most importantly quiet. I would like to sign a 6 mo lease to start as I will be new in town and it will give me room to explore without being stuck in a lease for a year.

Now that I have shared my dreams, I am looking to take the next step, and find a realtor/broker who can interact with me online in search of homes/cottage/cabin for rent in Southwestern Oregon. I am very intrested in Eugene, and Florence. I have been searching all of southwestern Oregon from Eugene to Medford thru the coastline but Eugene seems to be the best fit for me with all of the conveniences of city living and so many outdoor activities to do!

If anyone can make any recommendations/links for a realtor/broker or website to help me find a rental home it would be great. Maybe you have a property of your own you and you are looking for a renter in the next 6 mos to a year. Anything is possible online. I know there must be some websites regarding rental homes I simply will not find because I do not live in Oregon.

If you have any links that may be helpful to me please feel free to send them to me via DM. Ty in advance for any replies!
I agree with everything Mr Eugenified has written. If you are indeed in area code 702 you definately will have less sun here than there (702). But, you should enjoy the change of seasons, the green, the friendly people, and the close proximity to both ocean and mountains. Good Luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 AM

8 posts, read 39,160 times
Default TY for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
A couple of questions and some suggestions:

1. You did not mention your monthly budget. You also did not mention number of rooms and square footage hoped for. Also it would be useful to know the size of yard you prefer.

My monthly budget is about $500 a month depending. I can afford more but who wouldn't love to save money? I can sufice with 600-700 square feet as long as there is storage space.... 1-2 bedrooms, livingroom, bathroom and kitchen. I am seeking a simple, low maintenence freestanding cottage or cabin (no duplex, triplex or apartments). I have seen 1-2 bedroom cottages go for about this rate (sometimes even a little less) in Eugenes surrounding areas, but in Eugene itself I may have to increase my rate. I absolutely will not pay over $700 a month for shelter! As for a yard, I do not know what the average lot size for Eugene is, a 1/2 acre would be a dream come true. Vegas average lot size is less then a 1/2 acre for homes that are about 1500 square feet. My current yard is about 10 by 12 feet with rocks aka desert landscaping and a lovely view of a cement wall! Anything beats that but it worked for my dogs! Forgive me if I am wrong with my rates but I have typed in $500-700 per month in various cities in southwestern Oregon and have seen some very nice rentals with beautiful yards pop up.

A cabin with modern conveniences (cable high speed internet a must with my career) would be my dream! A-frame loft style!

2. Would be good to define more clearly what you mean by "secluded". Perhaps, how far away from a neighbor's house do you want to be?

As of now I have a 10 by 12 foot "yard" with neighbors surrounding me on all sides! I am so used to not having space that I can't even answer how far away I would like the neighbors to be.. I can literally stick out my arm and reach my neighbors window! SO instead of arms length how about 12 feet or more!

3. I have a slight suspicion that you do not quite understand the character of Eugene. You really don't need to be "outside the city" in order to have what you are looking for (of course, it depends on how you answer questions #1 and #2 above).

I have seen photos and have read alot about Eugene, though I really have no idea what Eugene is like! I was amazed when I was on Google earth and was able to see all of the land between the homes. Vegas is all one big planned community full of track houses with no character I am intrigued by Eugene because living in a city rather then going rural right away will ease the culture shock. I have read that Eugene has alot of outdoor recreation (abundant in all of Oregon) and I enjoy camping, fishing, gardening, hiking, biking, etc! I have read Eugene also has alot of small business, mom n pop shops and eclectic people. I am a website designer and it believe I could do well with a website design business working with other small business owners. The cost of living in Vegas has decreased but I would never be able to find a small home here for Oregon rates. There are no such things as cottages or cabins here. The entertainment capital of the USA bores me, sad to say. I am young but I am not a part of the Vegas "scene", I have not gone to the "strip" in about 3 years! I am a homebody and when I am not home I love to enjoy the outdoors. I really just want to live a "simpler" life. I want to simplify everything as much as possible so I can really start living life!

4. I have a feeling you could find something you like in the south. If not secluded enough, you could go a bit more south into the forest, but then you are REALLY getting secluded and there are far fewer rentals.

I have been looking everywhere including Eugene, southern coast down to medford. I just want some peace and quiet and it seems that no matter where I choose in the southwest I will get it. I do not want to be toooo rural at first because I will be renting and obviously a lease will come to an end at somepoint, so I will need to stick close to a bigger town with an abundance of rentals. In the future Id like to go more rural but not to start.

5. Rental agents:
-From my experience when I first moved here (I also rented for 6 months), all of the agents have some listings on craiglist. So you can find the agents and their websites via searching on craigslist.
-As for finding an agent to "interact with you online", I think it may be a little difficult. They don't make that much money per rental, so they can't really afford to have long, detailed back and forth conversations with a potential renter. Basically, you can see the listings online, ask questions about specific listings, and then schedule a time to meet the agent to see the place. That's about all you can expect.

I have lurked over ads for a long time now but I have not posted any myself seeking out rentals because I do not want to waste anyones time as of now, I have nothing set in stone. I do not expect anyone to put in hours of time helping me relocate, however I would ask for photos/mls listings to be sent to me via email exchange.

-I doubt that there are any agents that cover more than one city, much less a wide section of southern Oregon. Probably even difficult to find one who can even cover Eugene and Florence. Sure, there will be a few desperate ones that might try, but I would doubt their expertise. (By the way, Eugene and Florence are VERY different places, so you should probably spend more time first deciding which one suits you. Maybe buy a cheap air ticket online and fly out here for a quick visit).

When I do post ads seeking out an agent to show me rentals online, I will post several in different cities as I do not expect one who lives in Eugene to be an expert about Medford, etc. As much as I'd love to travel to Oregon to visit the cities of intrest, I would prefer not to (believe it or not!) I want this to be an adventure! I have a bit of a free spirited hobo inside me and have made several cross country moves in my lifetime! If I find myself unhappy or find that I have made a bad decision moving to one town, there is always the next! However money does not grow on trees, and travelling would only dip into my savings to be able to move in the firstplace, so I'd like to do all of the research I can and hopefully the decision I do make will be a good one!

-6 month lease: When I was looking, I asked a few landlords if they would do a 6 month lease, and about half of them said yes. We eventually signed a 6 month lease and extended it month by month for another 3 months. Then we moved into a house we purchased here.

I really think this would be best for me to start. Though after a long distance move, the thought of possibly moving again in only 6 months seems tedious. BUT if it doesnt work out, at least I will not be "trapped" in a lease for a year. I can always resign the lease as well if I want to stay. 6 mos will give me plenty of time to become familiar with other parts of oregon and decide what I would like to do in the longrun.
Ty so much for taking the time to reply to my post! I appreciate it so much!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

231 posts, read 778,465 times
1. Target: The word "cabin" is still throwing me off a little. What we have in Eugene are regular houses. There are a very small number of A-frame type houses in the southeast hills, but none of those would be close to your budget. If you are really set on getting a more "cabin-like" structure/feeling, then probably Eugene is not right for you.

Maybe smaller towns like Dexter/Lowell or Oakridge might be better for you? Alternatively, you could drive along the McKenzie river east of Springfield and find something over there. It's much more cabin-y there, plus the drive into Springfield is only about 20 mins or so. (I am thinking of the area around 41918 Deerhorn Rd, Springfield, OR...no clue what the rents might be over there).

Note: I have not ever looked into this type of housing myself, so the rest of what I will say is speculative.

2. Budget: Your budget is low for Eugene. The rough guideline here is about $400 per bedroom for a rental. That's assuming it's a 2-3 bedroom. So you could raise your rate to $800/month and get an OK 2-bedroom. Or you could lower your quality standards a bit and get a lower price.

3. Possibilities: I am thinking of two different strategies that might work for you in Eugene:

First, you could look for a small "guest house" type house that was/is part of a larger house. In other words, you would be living in a small house in back of a larger house. Probably less privacy this way, and perhaps you would not have full access to the yard for your dogs. There are very few of these types of situations in Eugene, but you never know...You might be able to dig up a diamond in the rough.

Second, you could look for one of those older (1940's-50's) little boxy houses that exist in several areas around Eugene. The Barger area has a lot of those, but it's not a very nice area at all. Perhaps the Santa Clara area, but I don't know that area well. Some sample street names for this type of area are:

McKinley St
Quaker St
Arthur St south of 18th
Friendly St area (the entire area)
The Amazon area (east of Amazon and south of 24th...lots of possibilities over there)
Augusta St/Riverview St

Those are a few examples I can think of on the south side of Eugene. With the exception of Augusta St, they are not cabin-y but rather small boxy house neighborhoods with a slight hippie feeling. Even Augusta St is not really cabin-y but rather edge-of-town-y.

I suggest you use Google Streetview to "drive" around a few of the areas and see if they meet your goals. For example, here's a link for streetview for the Augusta Street area:

eugene, or - Google Maps

Google Streetview covers just about all streets in Eugene. Unfortunately, they do not cover small places like Lowell or east of Springfield.

4. Agents
-Most good agents will have pictures and details already online for all the rental properties they are handling. So you will probably need very little contact at first. Just start checking out their listings and then contact them when you think you see something you like. Simple.
-I don't think you need to post an ad as a "renter seeking a location". Probably it will be ignored and/or attract con men. The rental properties are all listed online by the legitimate agents.

5. Other areas beside Eugene: Sorry, but aside from a few small places, I don't know much about other areas in Oregon. I've driven around a few of them before I decided to buy a house in Eugene, but that's about it. My goals were to find a city that was not too small and not too large. Portland was all wrong for me. And Florence/Corvallis/Lowell were way too small for me. So Eugene was just right. Plus I like living near a big university; the college kids can be annoying at times, and they drive up the rental rates, but I still think they bring a net "young" benefit to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area