U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:02 PM

46 posts, read 72,144 times

Advertisements

I am so depressed.

We had pretty much narrowed our plans to Eugene to buy 5 plus acres for our forever house.

Now, I see that Eugene has bad air

Honestly, Im getting a little stressed. We have 3 kids and we have horses and I dont know where to go.

Too much rain isnt good for horses.
Need space and fresh air for the kids to run and catch frogs and grow.
Need to get away from ALL THESE PEOPLE!

How far would we have to go from Eugene to get out of the trapped valley bad air?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM

823 posts, read 3,375,780 times
According to this web site there has only been one day in the last month that Eugene's air quality wasn't good.

Air Quality : AQI - Last 31 Days - Lane Regional Air Protection Agency

Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 72,144 times
Norm, Thanks for that very much. Im going to read it right now!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM

272 posts, read 1,373,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMom View Post

How far would we have to go from Eugene to get out of the trapped valley bad air?

If you're set on Oregon, have you looked at central Oregon? Bend, Redmond, Prineville? Lots of room for kids and horses, dramatic but beautiful scenery, lakes and rivers, no more than a 3-hour drive from Portland, Salem, Corvallis and Eugene (only about 90 miles from Eugene, I think?). Some snow in the winter, but less rain than Eugene, lots of sunny days. Skiing not far away, and the delightful village of Sisters nearby for weekend exploration.

Bend has a nice little park for picnicking and playing alongside the Deschutes River, which flows through town. Population about 78,000. It's a nice small city, suffering some growing pains but dealing with it.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Baja Boomer; 07-13-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 PM

174 posts, read 862,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMom View Post
I am so depressed.

We had pretty much narrowed our plans to Eugene to buy 5 plus acres for our forever house.

Now, I see that Eugene has bad air

Honestly, Im getting a little stressed. We have 3 kids and we have horses and I dont know where to go.

One year Eugene got a bad rap on air because of nearby Oakridge's inversions ,because they are both in Lane County. The air does get smoggy and if you want to escape head to Cottage Grove or Creswell. When we lived in Cottage Grove we could see the pollution sitting on Eugene when we drove north on I-5.

We took our horses and kids to Montana where it is DRY. But now our horses have hooves as hard as rocks. After so many years in damp Western Oregon I never knew that was a concern.

Patti

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM

231 posts, read 709,834 times
The whole bad-air story about Eugene is a big exaggeration in my view, unless you specifically have grass seed (or it it grass pollen?) allergies. It was probably worse in the past when they burned fields in the summer, but from what I have read, that practice is now nearly stopped and will be outlawed completely in a couple of years.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
The whole bad-air story about Eugene is a big exaggeration in my view, unless you specifically have grass seed (or it it grass pollen?) allergies. It was probably worse in the past when they burned fields in the summer, but from what I have read, that practice is now nearly stopped and will be outlawed completely in a couple of years.
Hardly exaggerated when the American Lung Association just ranked Eugene #13 in one of their 3 top 25 most polluted cities lists:

http://www.stateoftheair.org/2009/city-rankings/polluted-cities-particle-pollution-short.html (broken link)
Detailed report here:

http://www.stateoftheair.org/2009/st...ane-41039.html

Am moving myself to OR this coming Fall, and was deciding between Portland and Eugene. Ironically, given it's size, Portland has much higher air quality ratings than Eugene! Go figure.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMystic View Post
Hardly exaggerated when the American Lung Association just ranked Eugene #13 in one of their 3 top 25 most polluted cities lists:

Most Polluted U.S. Cities by Short Term Particle Pollution (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2009/city-rankings/polluted-cities-particle-pollution-short.html - broken link)
Detailed report here:

Lane

Am moving myself to OR this coming Fall, and was deciding between Portland and Eugene. Ironically, given it's size, Portland has much higher air quality ratings than Eugene! Go figure.
Notice though that Eugene is listed under "short term particle" pollution. It does not appear on the Long Term list. So clearly it is based on the grass pollen thing in the summer. As I said before, if you don't have a big issue with grass pollen, then there should not be a big problem.

Secondly, I think the list is really mixing apples and oranges. You have big pollution cities like Detroit and LA on the same list with poor little Eugene. Those are cities with classic (traditional?) grungy black-air type of pollution from cars and industry. Much worse in my view than grass pollen for a couple of months.

[People with grass pollen allergies need not jump in here now and tell me all about how bad it makes you feel. I know and appreciate that. I am just pointing out that most other people will not have any problem living in beautiful green Eugene].

In fact, it seems quite ridiculous to compare LA's pollution with Eugene's. Eugene is a beautiful tree-covered area with very little car-related or industry-related pollution.

Thirdly, I would guess that the Lung Association is using some slightly older data. As I mentioned earlier, Lane county has ramping down year by year the grass field burning that causes the major problems. It's much lower each year than the year before. Also, although it is still under final discussion, it appears that burning will probably be outlawed completely by 2010.

Re Portland: I also considered Portland as a possible living location before settling on Eugene. I drove up there and spent 45 minutes before deciding against it.

Portland is nice, but not for me. LOTS of good ol' LA-style traffic. Downtown is cool in a way, but rundown in lots of other ways. Suburbs are livable, but not as nice and compact as Eugene. In terms of air quality, it feels like it has much more "grungy black-air". Probably due to all the cars.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Thirdly, I would guess that the Lung Association is using some slightly older data.
I just read in the newspaper this morning that the data they are using could be anywhere between years 2005 - 2007. As I said, Eugene has already improved a lot from those years.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,965,503 times
The air quality doesn't bother me at all, or most other people.

A friend of mine has grass allergies, and around spring when they start to set in his face begins swelling, his eyes and nose start running, his throat clogs up, and pretty soon he is bedridden. He is talking about just ditching town until summer this year.
I don't know of any one else who gets it this bad though. And no, it's nothing like LA, where you can feel the pollution in your hair after a couple days. Try visiting sometime during the spring, and if allergies don't bother you then I would assume you're ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or