U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to Eugene Oregon in 2012. We are wondering what the status of jobs are. I have been teaching for five years and my husband has been a mechanic for over twenty years. (bus, wind machines, diesel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,093,499 times
Hi Jenbay... the job issue has been discussed quite a bit here on C-D... I'd suggest you do a search for other threads that talk about this.

I know several people, all wanting to be teachers, who graduated from the U of O College of Education who have had to take other jobs while they wait it out on the sub list at local schools to try to get their foot in the door. One guy has been on the sub list for Eugene 4j since 2007. He finds whatever jobs he can in the meantime - last summer he was a summer camp counselor at the Science Factory in Eugene. Another, who actually has a Master's degree in Education, opened up her own coffee cart while she waits it out on the sub list as well. And a third person I know took a job as an assistant at a kitchen supplies store - at least there she is teaching, albeit cooking classes.

I have asked several teacher's about the situation, because at one time I considered being a teacher myself, and they have all said it's competitive here. It helps if you know somebody. It also helps to find some way to get your foot in the door - such as taking a non-teaching job at first and then keep applying for the teaching jobs that open up, getting on the sub list and making a good impression when you are chosen to sub, and even volunteering. There was one lady who took a job as a part-time librarian and she is now a 4th grade teacher. Another lady started an art docent program and would volunteer her time going to each of the classrooms once a month doing art - she's now a kindergarten teacher.

I don't mean to be a downer, but the job situation in Oregon is really bad. You should really research the situation before moving your family out here. I don't know anything about the situation for mechanics, though. Anyway - good luck with your research! I hope you both find good jobs and can move out here. Because it is an awesome place to be if you can.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,569,502 times
Your spouse may have a better chance at finding a job. I don't know for sure but I think someone mentioned that a mechanic's license is needed to work on machines or some type of machines in Oregon. You may want to look into that.

The problem with teaching jobs is that the schools are trying hard not to do layoffs. Openings are non-existent with many very qualified people with a string of degrees lined up to jump into an opening should one become available. There is a lot of competition.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,374,324 times
If you need jobs, Oregon is not a good choice for a move.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 PM

37 posts, read 94,028 times
Oregon is terrible for jobs.

Eugene in specific has almost no good jobs, and the job market is ridiculous. Employers have extremely high demands, but pay extremely low wages. Also, being a college town, renting is ridiculous and expensive. Don't expect to make a good living here.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM

6,834 posts, read 7,875,023 times
The last two posts are well said and sum up the situation. ^^^^^^^^^^

Old 04-21-2011, 02:32 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,093,499 times
Our CFP that we work with through our credit union recently told us that because Eugene's property values are still overvalued, that renting is often the wiser choice in Eugene. He said the equation that most financial planners use is: cost of home you would purchase divided by cost of renting a similar home = x; If x = 15 or greater you should rent because it's the wiser choice financially. If x = 14 or lower buying would be a better choice for your money IF you plan on staying for more than 5 years in the same place.

When he used that equation for us, in Eugene, for a 3 bedroom home in the part of town we need to live in (due to kids schools), renting won.

I've heard that Portland is even more overvalued than Eugene, so I can only imagine that things would be worse there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area