U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM

68 posts, read 548,009 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed down my next move to either the Eureka CA area, or the Eugene OR area. Either in these towns, or in one of the smaller nearby towns.

How would you say these two places compare?

Living costs.
Culture and people's attitudes.
Job opportunities.
Taxes.
Nearby nature and outdoor opportunities.
Fun stuff to do.
Other ways....

I'd love to hear from somebody who is familiar with both areas. I'm leaning towards Eugene because it seems cheaper and it seems like it's a bit less isolated. Oregon also has no sales tax and other perks it seems.

I am very familiar with the Eureka area and spent lots of time there, but not so much with the Eugene area. I just visited there a couple times for a short time, and passed through a lot and loved it from what I saw of it.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: Sorry about the typo in the thread title. I can't change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times
I think Eugene is the better choice. Eureka has a disagreeable climate (no summer), and it was hit particularly hard by the housing bubble. Home prices in the area have zero correlation to wages, rather they were inflated by bubble money from the Bay Area and S. Cal. In fact, when I checked a couple years ago, home prices had doubled, even as population declined by 5%. Crazy. A good place to lose money on property at this point. And there is a pretty good crime element in Eureka too.

Eugene is one of Oregon's larger towns, with a good university, ., and I think it provides a good lifestyle. Winters are cloudier in Eugene, however. Eugene gets a lot of fog between storms, and can get gloomy as hell in midwinter, whereas Eureka will typically get a sunny day in between all the rain storms. Eugene has nearly perfect summers though, whereas Eureka, in the heart of the redwoods, is usually fog bound. If you love trail running, Eureka's climate (40s-60s year round) is just about perfect, and the surroundings are undeniably spectacular. Eugene is no slouch either.

The economy stinks in both places, but I think Eugene would be a bit better. Again, I would vote Eugene in this comparison.

Oh, I would add that both places have plenty of amazing people, and a good number of tweakers, rednecks, layabout hippies, and other micreants. If you don't like seeing unwashed panhandlers avoid both places. But you will also meet some of the coolest people anywhere. It would be up to you to find the one's you like and avoid the others. Although both towns are liberal meccas, there are plenty of conservatives around too.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:44 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,251,639 times
Have not lived in either town, but am familiar with both towns.

If I was 25 years younger and not married, I'd pick Eureka, purely for redwood exploring. The redwoods are my favorite forests to explore in. And that would be like a 2 year trial to see what doors might open. Personally, I like the coastal climate even better than the Eugene climate (which is still pretty good).

For night life, work opportunities or quality of life, I'd take Eugene. It's within reasonable reach of the ocean, forests and mountains. There is much more shopping. The town and surrounding areas are much better culturally in my opinion.

Eureka is interesting at night. It looks like there are more transients wandering around at night than I see in Portland. So I don't like the "feel" of Eureka at night. Daytime, it's a fairly bustling community. At this stage of life, there is no way I'd consider Eureka to move to. And Arcata would be my choice in that area if I had to move that way.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:11 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,332,017 times
Quote:
Eureka is interesting at night. It looks like there are more transients wandering around at night than I see in Portland. So I don't like the "feel" of Eureka at night. Daytime, it's a fairly bustling community. At this stage of life, there is no way I'd consider Eureka to move to. And Arcata would be my choice in that area if I had to move that way.
Exactly I would probably choose Eugene over Eureka, but I love Arcata. I think I would probably choose Arcata over both of them.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM

6,027 posts, read 13,092,155 times
Are you single or are you moving with kids/family? Eugene is a better choice for people with kids and families, IMO. If you are single/childless... it's really up to which place feels more like home to you. I'd visit both towns for a week or more (the longer the visit the better) and see how they feel to you.

Living costs are lower in Eugene, and we have found the taxes much friendlier, too. No sales tax but we do have other taxes - Eugene just tried and failed to pass a city income tax.

Jobs? Eh... it depends on what you do and what you are willing to do regardless of the area you are in.

Tons of natural spaces to explore in both areas. Personally we like Oregon better than California but it really depends on personal taste. California feels more developed to us, Oregon feels more wild. We also prefer more rain and less heat.

Eugene is about two hours from the nearest bigger city - Portland; while Eureka or Arcata are both about 5 hours from the nearest big city - San Francisco. That's something to consider. If you ever fly it's often a pain flying out of a smaller city or having to drive to the nearest big city to park and fly out of the larger airport. That's just one example. Living in Eugene I often miss the big city things I grew up taking for granted. Two hours isn't a big deal, but I think 5 hours (for me) would be. Might not be a big deal for you, though, it all depends.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 PM

692 posts, read 2,788,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Have not lived in either town, but am familiar with both towns.

If I was 25 years younger and not married, I'd pick Eureka, purely for redwood exploring. The redwoods are my favorite forests to explore in. And that would be like a 2 year trial to see what doors might open. Personally, I like the coastal climate even better than the Eugene climate (which is still pretty good).

For night life, work opportunities or quality of life, I'd take Eugene. It's within reasonable reach of the ocean, forests and mountains. There is much more shopping. The town and surrounding areas are much better culturally in my opinion.

WOW.....What an awsome Picture. I love the Old Growth Forests, Doug Fir, Cedar, Hemlocks, but have never been to the Redwoods.

I jusy gotta see this myself......Soon hopefully.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Exactly I would probably choose Eugene over Eureka, but I love Arcata. I think I would probably choose Arcata over both of them.
I agree.

When I say Eugene and Eureka. I'm not talking about only in the cities themselves, but also in all the nearby towns. The general vicinity of these towns within a short commute.

I actually hope to live in a small town within 10 miles of either place.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Are you single or are you moving with kids/family? Eugene is a better choice for people with kids and families, IMO. If you are single/childless... it's really up to which place feels more like home to you. I'd visit both towns for a week or more (the longer the visit the better) and see how they feel to you.

Living costs are lower in Eugene, and we have found the taxes much friendlier, too. No sales tax but we do have other taxes - Eugene just tried and failed to pass a city income tax.

Jobs? Eh... it depends on what you do and what you are willing to do regardless of the area you are in.

Tons of natural spaces to explore in both areas. Personally we like Oregon better than California but it really depends on personal taste. California feels more developed to us, Oregon feels more wild. We also prefer more rain and less heat.

Eugene is about two hours from the nearest bigger city - Portland; while Eureka or Arcata are both about 5 hours from the nearest big city - San Francisco. That's something to consider. If you ever fly it's often a pain flying out of a smaller city or having to drive to the nearest big city to park and fly out of the larger airport. That's just one example. Living in Eugene I often miss the big city things I grew up taking for granted. Two hours isn't a big deal, but I think 5 hours (for me) would be. Might not be a big deal for you, though, it all depends.
Great feedback. Thanks. I'm heavily leaning towards Eugene. I'm also looking more into the Ashland area, but Eugene looks a lot better.

Humboldt County is awesome. It's just too bad it's in California with all the high taxes and expenses. Ruins it a little bit.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,251,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
WOW.....What an awsome Picture. I love the Old Growth Forests, Doug Fir, Cedar, Hemlocks, but have never been to the Redwoods.

I jusy gotta see this myself......Soon hopefully.
Now I recall once upon a time when I had not seen them either. Now I drive down there to hike about every 8 weeks. I met one guy via the Internet, who comes from Germany every couple of years to explore there. Some east-coasters who hike, say the east coast forests never quite seem the same after a visit to the Pacific coast trees. It's not contagious for everyone, but can be for plenty. I took my mother to the redwoods for her first visit, about 4 years ago. She was 89 then. Said it was the most peaceful place she had ever visited in her life. Likely her one and only visit there.

My brother likes trees. We just started making time again to hang together, and explored in Jedediah Smith redwoods last year. He's here next to a fairly big coast redwood.

And again, why Fortuna, Eureka, Trinidad or Arcata would appeal to me. Not Crescent City though, I'd probably pick Smith River, or Brookings, Oregon, to live that close to the northernmost coast redwoods.
Attached Thumbnails
Eugene OR vs. Eureka CA?-redwood_chesty_puller_700.jpg  

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 27,717,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Now I recall once upon a time when I had not seen them either. Now I drive down there to hike about every 8 weeks. I met one guy via the Internet, who comes from Germany every couple of years to explore there. Some east-coasters who hike, say the east coast forests never quite seem the same after a visit to the Pacific coast trees. It's not contagious for everyone, but can be for plenty. I took my mother to the redwoods for her first visit, about 4 years ago. She was 89 then. Said it was the most peaceful place she had ever visited in her life. Likely her one and only visit there.

My brother likes trees. We just started making time again to hang together, and explored in Jedediah Smith redwoods last year. He's here next to a fairly big coast redwood.

And again, why Fortuna, Eureka, Trinidad or Arcata would appeal to me. Not Crescent City though, I'd probably pick Smith River, or Brookings, Oregon, to live that close to the northernmost coast redwoods.

Your photography is truly one of the best things about the Oregon forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area