U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM

60 posts, read 55,255 times

Advertisements

New in PDX here...so haven't spent much time (if at all) in your area. But have this picture that Eugene would be sweet place for farmers! Am I right? Tell me more about this please.

Also, wondering, when they will get Whole Foods Market to your nice little city. I would love to visit and meet all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,874,914 times
Whole Foods Market is the antithesis to what Eugene is all about. WF wanted to open up a store in downtown, but the city and citizens kept them out! Twice if I remember correctly. They don't want the "Walmart of natural foods" to impinge upon the awesome local natural foods stores (which are plentiful and awesome) like Sundance, Capella, Friendly Street Market to name the ones I can think of... There is only one Trader Joe's in the entire 200,000 person Eugene-Springfield area too. You see, the Eugene area practically invented the natural foods movement. Nancy's yogurt, Emerald Valley Kitchen (formerly), Yogi Tea, Golden Temple granola (the largest maker of granola, if I am not mistaken) and many more call Eugene home...

And there are some awesome farmer's markets in Eugene, you're right. The one downtown is probably among my favorite in all of Oregon.

Last edited by backdrifter; 06-26-2011 at 12:12 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 277,124 times
Thumbs up Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Whole Foods Market is the antithesis to what Eugene is all about. WF wanted to open up a store in downtown, but the city and citizens kept them out! Twice if I remember correctly. They don't want the "Walmart of natural foods" to impinge upon the awesome local natural foods stores (which are plentiful and awesome) like Sundance, Capella, Friendly Street Market to name the ones I can think of... There is only one Trader Joe's in the entire 200,000 person Eugene-Springfield area too. You see, the Eugene area practically invented the natural foods movement. Nancy's yogurt, Emerald Valley Kitchen (formerly), Yogi Tea, Golden Temple granola (the largest maker of granola, if I am not mistaken) and many more call Eugene home...

And there are some awesome farmer's markets in Eugene, you're right. The one downtown is probably among my favorite in all of Oregon.
This makes me even more stoked on moving here

Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM

60 posts, read 55,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

wow, that is awesome...thanks for the clarifications.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Always good to hear that I am moving into a town that is all about local. YES

Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,105,072 times
We love our Farmer's Markests, and we also love our local farms and producers, too. Here are some links:

Lane County Farmers Market This one is probably the most well-known and visitied. It's held on Saturdays across the street from the Eugene Saturday Market - which honestly, and I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but Eugene's Saturday Market is way better and more genuine than Portland's Saturday Market. Eugene, Oregon's Saturday Market You can spend a whole Saturday afternoon eating, meeting cool people, listening to live music, buying locally crafted goods, buying locally grown organic foods, enjoying the sunshine... it's wonderful. It's also crowded because everyone loves it so much. The Lane County Farmer's Market is also open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but saturdays are the most fun, I think.

This lady blogs and often features local Eugene farms and foods and wonderful delicious things: I've been inspired more than oce after stalking her blog to go to a farm and buy yummy delicious edible things. Culinaria Eugenius I found the best pick your own blueberry farm thanks to one of her blogs. The Register Guard (our local paper) often features local foodie things.

Local Farmers Markets: Willamette Farm & Food Coalition Lots of info on other markets there, too!

Not to mention all the various festivals we have throughout the year featuring local foods... such as: Oregon Truffle Festival - January 27-29, 2012 ... eugene mushroom festival ... and others... really good local wines and cheese here, too. And a few of our own local chocolate companies as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We love our Farmer's Markests, and we also love our local farms and producers, too. Here are some links:

Lane County Farmers Market This one is probably the most well-known and visitied. It's held on Saturdays across the street from the Eugene Saturday Market - which honestly, and I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but Eugene's Saturday Market is way better and more genuine than Portland's Saturday Market. Eugene, Oregon's Saturday Market You can spend a whole Saturday afternoon eating, meeting cool people, listening to live music, buying locally crafted goods, buying locally grown organic foods, enjoying the sunshine... it's wonderful. It's also crowded because everyone loves it so much. The Lane County Farmer's Market is also open on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but saturdays are the most fun, I think.

This lady blogs and often features local Eugene farms and foods and wonderful delicious things: I've been inspired more than oce after stalking her blog to go to a farm and buy yummy delicious edible things. Culinaria Eugenius I found the best pick your own blueberry farm thanks to one of her blogs. The Register Guard (our local paper) often features local foodie things.

Local Farmers Markets: Willamette Farm & Food Coalition Lots of info on other markets there, too!

Not to mention all the various festivals we have throughout the year featuring local foods... such as: Oregon Truffle Festival - January 27-29, 2012 ... eugene mushroom festival ... and others... really good local wines and cheese here, too. And a few of our own local chocolate companies as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:41 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,105,072 times
I didn't realize I had so many typo's in my post. I'm sorry.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I didn't realize I had so many typo's in my post. I'm sorry.
no worries, the information is the importance

Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Anyone know of the great pick your own farms around the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area