U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,954,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I consider west Eugene "the hood" of Eugene... I can't stand West Eugene. We know a few police officers and one detective and they've told us West Eugene is sketchier and has more crime than the Whit.
Where exactly is "West Eugene"? There is no one area called that in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:47 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,096,819 times
My husband's office is right in the Chambers/99/Roosevelt area. The people in his office call that area west Eugene. We are not from Eugene so we've always called that area West Eugene because that's what his boss and everybody in his office always called that area. That area is very bad. When we first relocated here from out of state we were hoping to buy a home within walking or biking distance from his office. We couldn't do it. Too sketchy. It's sad because we really loved some of the homes near the Petersen Barn community center.

The area north of there... Barger/N. Terry - isn't that Bethel/Danebo area? There's a lot of quickly built-up new housing developments and manufactured home communities and things up in there where things look cleaner, but according to the police detective who is a father of one of our kids friends, they moved away from that area three years ago because of rising crime and too many home break-ins. They moved to the FSB (Ferry Street Bridge) area. Which is another hard area to define! lol You say FSB and it could be Cal Young... Sheldon... Oakway? lol

Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM

yeah that area sucks. but there are many different areas people call "west eugene" so by itself it is sort of a blanket term that doesn't mean anything. like fsb, which i think is just a term realtors use, I've never heard it used in real life.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 PM

I guess instead of FSB or West Eugene or whatever... we should just use intersection names or street names or something...

I mean... honestly I haven't even been up and down every street in the Whiteaker neighborhood. I've seen the map on the neighborhood website. I'm in that area quite a bit. But it's not like I've walked up and down every street at night or during the day. I'm sure there are some streets that are fine and others that are sketchier.

The river trail has been creeping me out lately. I used to feel safe on the river trail - by VRC mall. But lately there seems to be more homeless/druggie/questionable types. And there have been a few incidents... an attempted rape at Maurie Jacobs park and some biker road rage and some punk kids that were pushing people off their bikes... that kind of stuff. Sad.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM

I don't think that's anything new. And you're right, some streets are pretty nice, others are definitely not. If you found the right street I don't think it'd be a bad place to live.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:41 AM

122 posts, read 286,721 times
Yeah what is up with the area around Petersen Barn? I went out there once for theater in the park and it was like walking into Idiocracy.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM

920 posts, read 1,526,092 times
When/if you get to Whiteaker, you have to go to Tiny Tavern when Christie and McCulloum are playing. If you want a sense of what part of the neighborhood is like. The place is run down but C&M are great musicians and it'll give you a taste of vintage US rock and roll.

I'd be much more afraid of getting jammed up by the U of O than any street problems. What are you planning to study? With all due respect, I can't see anyone coming overseas to attend that school, but maybe it's due to the fact that I had to transfer outta there and graduated from Oregon State....

Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
With all due respect, I can't see anyone coming overseas to attend that school, but maybe it's due to the fact that I had to transfer outta there and graduated from Oregon State....
Because internationally speaking, the OSU has a better rep than UofO? HA! Give me a break.

As a person speaking non-internationally, but from the other coast....let me tell you: most people from the other side of your own country don't even know these two school are different, let alone that one is better than the other.

After living here for a year now, I realize both are fine schools for different reasons, but Oregon has a long way to go in terms of higher education name recognition.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM

920 posts, read 1,526,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Because internationally speaking, the OSU has a better rep than UofO? HA! Give me a break.

As a person speaking non-internationally, but from the other coast....let me tell you: most people from the other side of your own country don't even know these two school are different, let alone that one is better than the other.

After living here for a year now, I realize both are fine schools for different reasons, but Oregon has a long way to go in terms of higher education name recognition.
Given that I'm from this coast, it's apparent you have no idea what you're talking about....

Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 PM

The U of O graduate school is ranked 1st in the nation for public universities and 4th in the nation overall. I know that their special education program is also very highly ranked... I think for the past 3 or 4 years running it has ranked 3rd in the nation. U of O is also recognized by the Carnegie Foundation as one of America's leading research universities.

OSU is a good school, too, especially for things relating to agricultural studies or animals - they have a great veterinary program. Both schools have lots to offer but they are very different types of schools. It just depends on what you want to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area