U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,379,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgeoftheJungle View Post
I moved here in 2002. I am not religious. Mother of 2. Grew up first in the heart of then a suburb of LA. I can say this place is FULL of 'darkness'. The weather, the schools, the drugs, the unemployment, the failing school system, the adultry, the crime and the homeless. I am leaving and do not recommend it to anyone, Christian or otherwise. The 'underbelly' of Lane County is like nothing I've ever seen. I feel safer walking down the street in the worst section of LA, Chicago, Seattle, New York, D.C. than I do walking down the street at night in Eugene.

There are people, the majority I would say, who have never, and will never, see the underbelly you speak of. It is more of where you live, what you do, and who you know. Is it there? Yes, just as you described, but it is association rather than predominance that exposes the tender side of Eugene. Having walked every street you claimed I can say your statement is untrue.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,577,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorgeoftheJungle View Post
I moved here in 2002. I am not religious. Mother of 2. Grew up first in the heart of then a suburb of LA. I can say this place is FULL of 'darkness'. The weather, the schools, the drugs, the unemployment, the failing school system, the adultry, the crime and the homeless. I am leaving and do not recommend it to anyone, Christian or otherwise. The 'underbelly' of Lane County is like nothing I've ever seen. I feel safer walking down the street in the worst section of LA, Chicago, Seattle, New York, D.C. than I do walking down the street at night in Eugene.
Just out of curiosity, have you actually ever walked down the steets of the "worst" section of Chicago? Having lived in Chicago myself and been in all areas at one time or another I find this a pretty drastic comparison to Eugene. But if that is your experience I supposed I cannot argue.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you actually ever walked down the steets of the "worst" section of Chicago? Having lived in Chicago myself and been in all areas at one time or another I find this a pretty drastic comparison to Eugene. But if that is your experience I supposed I cannot argue.

I would ask the same question as I have been there, done that, and have the spoon, the cup, and the "T" Shirt.

On the day of the grande opening of Windows 95, I was on my way to the Paul Allen hosted portion in Chicago. Bill Gates was in the PNW and linked by Sat. As an invited guest I was in my best suit and driving my Jaguar XJ6. I broke down on the southeast side. I still sweat everytime I think about it, and I was armed. If you have been there you know why. Not even as bad as running out of gas in Cabrini Green which I also did.

My comment was first hand.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
Perhaps Eugene is not the best place for persons with depression fueled by Seasonal Affective Disorder

Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Perhaps Eugene is not the best place for persons with depression fueled by Seasonal Affective Disorder
Great comment, but don't you think that applies to a large portion of the state?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM

7 posts, read 12,468 times
Default Abuse??? I think no

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
Do you believe in emotional abuse of children?

I think telling children lies like "the earth was made in 7 days, and you will burn in hell if you don't believe this" is abuse. Period.

No one's the truth police, but there are such things as lies. Don't blame the person pointing them out.
I think that you have your version of the truth which works for you, and, then other's version of the truth which is faith based and no less the truth to them. You are pointing out YOUR truth which applies to YOU. You will find many who share your version and many others who do not. Families are built on traditions and belief systems. It is not abuse to share your beliefs with your children. Many children will grow up into adults and either embrace those teachings or move on to something that is a better fit for them. There is a certain definition for abuse, which could be either physical or emotional. Religious teaching in and of itself is not emotionally abusive in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM

The lack of religious education in the home shows in the last several generations.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM

2,280 posts, read 3,840,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The lack of religious education in the home shows in the last several generations.
To each his (or her) own.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM

3,527 posts, read 7,661,881 times
Very often, "Christian" turns out to mean "intolerant as Hell." My family tree is heavily Catholic, but the way some of them spoke about non-Catholics, it sounded like they were Christian in the same way that Al-Quaeda is Muslim.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,508,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Very often, "Christian" turns out to mean "intolerant as Hell." My family tree is heavily Catholic, but the way some of them spoke about non-Catholics, it sounded like they were Christian in the same way that Al-Quaeda is Muslim.
Bingo!.....and they readily spill each others blood over it too! Ireland comes to mind...

I have a problem with this "to each is own" stuff, when parents teach children beliefs that create rifts and intolerance. This intolerance can and does morph into hate and violence.. (I am deeply concerned with the trend of home schooling is creating deeper rifts and divisions in society.)

Religion by nature divides... Every group thinks they got it right, the are the "saved ones".... This has been nothing but trouble for several thousand years...

Religion is frequently at the root of terror, war and pain and suffering.... Enough with the crusades/Jihad's and holy wars...

At what point do we as a society limit what can be brainwashed into children? When does it become for the better interest of society? For national security? So on and so forth...
IMHO, all three of the Abrahamic religions need to get a grip and stop the fighting with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area