U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,170,118 times

Advertisements

Well, the 3 Jew-based religions including Christianity and Islam, use fear of God's Judgment, but Judaism is completely non-evangelistic.

Some animist religions control based on fear of spells from living enemies, or on fear of pitfalls during the soul's journey after death.

Hinduism has fear of karma in the next life, but they don't care which faith you have. A Hindu murdering someone would get the same bad karma as a Christian killer.

Pantheistic religion generally only have the fear of self-made suffering through disharmony with the Ground of Being, but that would be easy to change through attitude and meditation on unity.

Buddhism has a similar but more refined and complex view ...... a Buddhist can go to a hellish or heavenly world temporarily, but the main "fear" is of continued existence in the merry-go-round of continued life and death ..... not exactly existence as a soul ("there is no soul and no God"), but something more inscrutable than an eternal sould and karma (kama) as taught in Hinduism. Buddhism probably is the least fear-based religion, though there's still a bit of it, and like Hinduism cares nothing about faith - both are all about practice.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 AM

48 posts, read 123,708 times
Does the OP have to live in Eugene? There are more Conservative cities north and south of Eugene such as Corvallis, if you want to commute. I would be very concerned about your kids getting into pot and meth in a place like Eugene, compared to a place like Corvallis. Eugene is large, overcrowded, and overrated - with run down infrastructure and full of physically unhealthy and mentally unstable people on drugs. The reason is the City Council and Chamber of Commerce who have high taxes and regulations on new businesses. They don't want to grow. Your kids would even do better in Bend, Ashland, or Talent but that's 3 hours away not 45 minutes to Corvallis. The maximum that most people feel comfortable commuting is about an hour each way.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B97701 View Post
There are more Conservative cities north and south of Eugene such as Corvallis...
Corvallis is politically very liberal. More liberal, I would say, than Eugene. Democratic voters rule in Corvallis. It ranks as a city with one of the lowest church attendance rates in the US.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,551,636 times
I'm not sure why you're recommending Corvallis as a conservative place. Benton county voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 (second only to Multnomah) and according to the ARIS survey, is the least religious place in the entire nation. There are even some Greens in local government.

It's a little amusing that you're singling out notoriously tolerant places and claiming (without evidence, of course) they're intolerant.
Quote:
Forgiveness is a Christian concept
You really should do a little more research on religion and human history if you actually believe this. But accepting that it's true (which it isn't), it'd be nice if a few more "Christians" actually embraced ideas like forgiveness and tolerance.

Quote:
If not for Eugene and Portland, the state would be a Republican state.
Similar could be said about pretty much every state in the nation. Take away the population centers (where people are actually exposed to other cultures and religions and ethnicities) and only count the white people who live in rural America and suddenly the entire nation is composed of Christian conservatives who vote straight R.

Fortunately, we count people in elections, not geographic area (not strictly true - the people living in deep red, very low population states have their votes count more than people in high population states).

Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 AM

6,011 posts, read 13,079,596 times
I'm from the South... and that "Forgiveness is a Christian concept" is kind of like when we Southern Girls say, "Bless your/his/her heart..." It doesn't really mean that! lol What it really means is something more along the lines of... better you than me, or glad I'm not YOU!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:31 PM

351 posts, read 457,070 times
Well, OP, obviously from these posts you have a glimpse of the mentality you may find in Eugene and other parts of Oregon:

Posters who claim there is no "scientific" evidence that the earth was created in seven days, thereby revealing some expectation (apparently) on their part that our very limited human minds are going to be capable of knowing the "truths" of the universe, which in itself, is laughable. Any "being" who can create the universe from nothing, certainly has the power and ability to accomplish that which defies human reason and the laws of physics. The field of science is limited to the thinking power of the human mind, and based upon some of the posts in this thread, I would say that the potential for discovery and revelation using science is pretty darn limited.

Posters who espouse the "live and let live" mantra, as though everyone in Oregon lives in their own personal isolation chamber that shields them from the influence of their neighbor's actions.

Do the "live and let live" druggies and smokers and drinkers in Oregon actually believe that their "drug" use has no effect on society or the cost of health insurance and social services programs that other people must bear? I am all for "live and let live" as long as everybody who is participating in a "live and let live" lifestyle bears the FULL and complete burden associated with their own personal actions. What that would mean, for example, is that a smoker would be totally free to smoke their head off, BUT they would have to pay out-of-pocket the full cost of otherwise preventable heart by-pass surgery themselves, or die. Anyone who espouses "live and let live" expecting other people to pick up the costs for their "live and let live" addictions or habits, is a total and complete hypocrite.

I am a firm believer that our society and political system has messed with evolution and the process of natural selection far too long, thereby resulting in a population comprised of lots of dummies who do stupid things to themselves and others with no consequences that would tend to curb their actions. The fact that our health care system does almost nothing to penalize those who deliberately cause additional needless expense for everyone to pay, is ludicrous!

Last edited by QuickStudy178; 10-03-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,170,118 times
Oh, the people who believe the Earth is older than 6,000 years (based on overwhelming evidence of many, many different kinds) are the ones who are the dummies.

I see.

........ ..... ......

Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 AM

48 posts, read 123,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm not sure why you're recommending Corvallis as a conservative place. Benton county voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 (second only to Multnomah) and according to the ARIS survey, is the least religious place in the entire nation. There are even some Greens in local government.

It's a little amusing that you're singling out notoriously tolerant places and claiming (without evidence, of course) they're intolerant.
You really should do a little more research on religion and human history if you actually believe this. But accepting that it's true (which it isn't), it'd be nice if a few more "Christians" actually embraced ideas like forgiveness and tolerance.

Similar could be said about pretty much every state in the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Corvallis is politically very liberal. More liberal, I would say, than Eugene. Democratic voters rule in Corvallis. It ranks as a city with one of the lowest church attendance rates in the US.
Wow, thanks for the correction, you're right about that! It has changed over the last 20 years in Corvallis - 64% voted for Obama in Benton County in 2008.

See -

Electoral Explorer - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

However, it's a much CLEANER county and city than Eugene - less drugs, less crime, so it's better for Middle Class families seeking traditional lives in single family dwellings.

Forgiveness is a Chrisitian Concept IMHO.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,950,729 times
Right, because before Christianity there was no forgiveness. Ok. I'd say it's more like a human concept.

And Eugene is just fine for "Middle Class families seeking traditional lives in single family dwellings"

Old 10-05-2011, 07:38 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,541,867 times
I think the fact that the OP asked "what are we in for?" makes me wonder. Why would he or she be "in for" anything? If this family keeps their beliefs within their own church and themselves why should there be a problem at all?

It seems to me that unless they go around proselytizing or talking about their religious beliefs to those who do not follow the same, there should not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area