U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,219 times
Default We Love Eugene But Don't Like The Rainy Season: What Cities Are Similar But With Better Weather?

My wife and I are in our mid-20s and we have been fulltime RVing for the last year. We are ready to pick a place to spend a year or two and are trying to figure out which US cities might fit our ideal criteria. We're currently in Eugene, OR and love the vibe here, but 7-8 months of dreariness isn't our idea of fun.

I'd love your help in figuring out what cities might fit the following. (These are for our dream town. We're really not this prissy.)

1. Good Weather: Mostly sunny, with freezing temperatures being very anomalous. Highs never really above the mid-90s, lows never really below 50. Ideally not much of a winter.

2. Bike Friendly: Relatively flat, easy to get around, something of a bike culture.

3. Medium Size: Eugene-ish population, say 100k - 200k. Not very sprawled, manageable.

4. Fun People: Quirky, liberal culture. Friendly.

5. Happening: Things going on all the time, perhaps a college-town. Community theater and performing arts.

6. Near Nature: Easy access to outdoor sports, parks, rock climbing, etc.

Weather is a mostly non-negotiable factor for my wife, but I wonder what cities exist in the United States that might fit these or most of these criteria.

Thoughts, o' brilliant City-Data people?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM

100 posts, read 128,496 times
You might want to post this in the City vs City in the General US category.

I am very interested in the replies that you receive. Good Luck

Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,107 times
It you do not mind a little snow you should try Madison Wi. I lived there before i moved to Flagstaff, Az and it has most of everything you are looking for.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,591,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCitySeeker View Post
My wife and I are in our mid-20s and we have been fulltime RVing for the last year. We are ready to pick a place to spend a year or two and are trying to figure out which US cities might fit our ideal criteria. We're currently in Eugene, OR and love the vibe here, but 7-8 months of dreariness isn't our idea of fun.

I'd love your help in figuring out what cities might fit the following. (These are for our dream town. We're really not this prissy.)

1. Good Weather: Mostly sunny, with freezing temperatures being very anomalous. Highs never really above the mid-90s, lows never really below 50. Ideally not much of a winter.

2. Bike Friendly: Relatively flat, easy to get around, something of a bike culture.

3. Medium Size: Eugene-ish population, say 100k - 200k. Not very sprawled, manageable.

4. Fun People: Quirky, liberal culture. Friendly.

5. Happening: Things going on all the time, perhaps a college-town. Community theater and performing arts.

6. Near Nature: Easy access to outdoor sports, parks, rock climbing, etc.

Weather is a mostly non-negotiable factor for my wife, but I wonder what cities exist in the United States that might fit these or most of these criteria.

Thoughts, o' brilliant City-Data people?

Thanks!
Boulder, Colorado completely meets your criteria, except for #1.

However, it's not dreary: it's actually pretty sunny and nice most days, even when it's cold, even when it's snowy.

Now go post in Colorado asking about jobs, and tell jazzlover I said "hi."

Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 PM

2,861 posts, read 4,409,704 times
It sounds like you need to be somewhere along coastal California. I'd look into San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area. It's beautiful there!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,447,886 times
Austin, TX, perhaps? Might be a little too big...

Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 555,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
It sounds like you need to be somewhere along coastal California. I'd look into San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area. It's beautiful there!
This is completely different from Eugene... typical gentrified CA area where you can feel the wealth everywhere, with insane real estate prices and as to the culture, there's nothing remotely in SLO to compare to Eugene... SLO is a very polished place.
You may like some North CA coastal towns, Arcata, etc... no jobs there though.

I, myself, would like to find such town, without rains or cold (and millions of smokers that fill Eugene streets)... I'm afraid it doesn't exist.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM

2,861 posts, read 4,409,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
This is completely different from Eugene... typical gentrified CA area where you can feel the wealth everywhere, with insane real estate prices and as to the culture, there's nothing remotely in SLO to compare to Eugene... SLO is a very polished place.
You may like some North CA coastal towns, Arcata, etc... no jobs there though.

I, myself, would like to find such town, without rains or cold (and millions of smokers that fill Eugene streets)... I'm afraid it doesn't exist.
True, guess I was just thinking about the weather. I think it's hard to find a place that has relatively mild temperatures year round without having to deal with a rainy season.

Someone suggested Boulder, CO. I would also suggest Fort Collins, CO. While the weather isn't quite mild, it may be a better fit if you need the sun. It does snow, and sometimes quite a bit, but it rarely sticks around for more than a day or two. The sun, especially in the winter, is pretty prominent. I grew up in Colorado and love the weather there for the most part.

I do think Eugene, and the culture there, is due in part to the weather. It's hard to find other communities out there that are similar.

What about Ashville, NC? I honestly don't know much about it, I've visited once in April, but I've heard it has quite a few similarities to the Oregon culture. I do know you'd have humidity and heat in the summer and probably some snow in the winter. You might look at the city-data page about it to see if it's somewhere to consider.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM

52 posts, read 65,355 times
Asheville meets most of your criteria except it does get quite a bit colder than 50 in the winter months. Also, whether it is bike-friendly is debatable. I know many people who bike everywhere, and the buses have bike racks on the front. There have been many new bike lanes added around town. However, many roads are very narrow and curvy with little shoulder/lack of bike lane, and it's hilly topography.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,120,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
True, guess I was just thinking about the weather. I think it's hard to find a place that has relatively mild temperatures year round without having to deal with a rainy season.

Someone suggested Boulder, CO. I would also suggest Fort Collins, CO. While the weather isn't quite mild, it may be a better fit if you need the sun. It does snow, and sometimes quite a bit, but it rarely sticks around for more than a day or two. The sun, especially in the winter, is pretty prominent. I grew up in Colorado and love the weather there for the most part.

I do think Eugene, and the culture there, is due in part to the weather. It's hard to find other communities out there that are similar.

What about Ashville, NC? I honestly don't know much about it, I've visited once in April, but I've heard it has quite a few similarities to the Oregon culture. I do know you'd have humidity and heat in the summer and probably some snow in the winter. You might look at the city-data page about it to see if it's somewhere to consider.
I think coastal S. Cali works well for weather, but, like you say, it doesn't have the same culture. Davis, CA and the like in California may work, though. In fact, Davis might be perfect.

If I were you, I'd also check out SW and SE college towns. They will have the weather closest to what you're looking for (Although the SW may be TOO hot and the SE may be TOO humid, but both don't have winter) and many college towns will have the bit of culture you're looking for in a smaller community. Bike friendly will be tough to find in these regions I would think. The PNW does well in the category.

Asheville is definitely a great option, although not very bike friendly, but tons to do and counter culture (if you even want this). That said, if you leave town by 5 miles you're out in the Bible belt. It's more a reaction town than Eugene is, imo. Also, it gets cool(er) there than you would like, but by no means is it cold.....but that's relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area