Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

28 posts, read 65,539 times

Advertisements

Good town. Weather could be a little less rainy, but I found out that the rain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

But----- if you have Lyme disease or think you might have it----- do not expect to receive proper treatment in Eugene (or in the rest of OR).

It's written into the Oregon Medical Board that doctor's are REQUIRED to report a doctor that is 'putting a patient's health at risk'.
That can mean that a doctor might be intoxicated while treating a patient or writing a prescription for too large a dose of a potentially dangerous (but necessary) medication---- all good reasons for reporting another doctor.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/676.html
See 676.150(1)(d) & 676.150(2)

In the case of Lyme disease it just means giving a person with Lyme disease 'long term' antibiotics. Doctors are forced to follow the Infectious Disease Society of America's too stringent protocol (often just 30 days) for treating Lyme. That would be acceptable and probably effective if the patient had been bitten by an infected tick only a few days before starting antibiotics. But not for those who have, for one reason or another, had to wait months or years before being treated.

So doctors in OR (even those who probably know how ineffective that is) are afraid to even utter the word 'Lyme' for fear of being reported by their colleagues and lose their license. Pretty picture, isn't it?

So, if you have Lyme disease and want to move to this nice town----- be sure you can afford to travel out of state for treatment as so many have to.

Or go untreated.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 AM

More information about Oregon and Lyme disease.

Lyme Disease in the state of Oregon

Oregon ranks as one of the worst states in the nation to get help for Lyme disease. Over one-fourth of the state’s population is enrolled in HMO’s and standards of care seem to be determined by these entities, Kaiser in particular, and their financial influence on the state’s medical university, Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU). The Oregon Board of Medical Examiners, which includes two members who are not even doctors or in any way involved in medicine, appears to be compliant to their wishes.

Moderator cut: copyright issues

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-14-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: copyright issues - please post link and *brief* snippet only

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM

A tip I found out about, by accident.
If you've been bitten by an infected tick (and yes they are in OR) AND you're lucky enough to get the classic bulls eye rash (only about 50% do) then get to a dermatologist right away while the rash is still showing; when making the appointment, be sure to stress that you at least be seen for verification of the rash---- not put off for several weeks.

The two dermatologists that I've talked to WILL treat you with about 30 days of antibiotics which MAY be long enough if treated right away.

Of course if the tick that bit you also passed on Bartonella and Babesia, they need different treatment. And lots of luck getting anyone in OR to even know what those two diseases are.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,746 times
Interesting.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
I have been looking into this recently because I have a dog with lyme. I rescued him when he was 7 years old, and he apparently had been infected for some time before that, because he has atypical arthritis. It's not hard to find a veterinarian who is competent to treat lyme, but veterinary medicine has always been years ahead of human medicine. They do all the tests on animals first, so a dog can get effective medical treatments that are years away from approval in humans.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Veterinarians and Lyme

@Larry-----Yes, a vet will usually treat a dog for Lyme much more readily than humans can get treated. In Oregon a human can hardly get treated at all unless (exaggeration here) they go in with a tick attached and a bulls eye rash around it!

We can thank the IDSA for nationwide non- or too-minimal-to-do-any-good-treatment. Moderator cut: inappropriete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have been looking into this recently because I have a dog with lyme. I rescued him when he was 7 years old, and he apparently had been infected for some time before that, because he has atypical arthritis. It's not hard to find a veterinarian who is competent to treat lyme, but veterinary medicine has always been years ahead of human medicine. They do all the tests on animals first, so a dog can get effective medical treatments that are years away from approval in humans.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-14-2012 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area