U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,034 times
Default Lane Community College and other Questions

Hi all, my girlfriend and I are moving to Eugene soon and are very excited. I'd like to take some graphic design and photography classes at LCC. Does anyone have any experience with the college and how it stacks up to other community colleges? I'm coming from Austin which has a great community college system but it's campuses are spread out all over the city which makes it an epic hassle as traffic has gotten so bad here (now 3rd worst in the nation!). Also, does anyone know if they have a good music program as my girlfriend would like to further her music knowledge?

Another thing we're wondering about is where in town to look for housing. We are a late-twenties couple not dependent on local work who enjoy music, writing, photography, art, and home brewing. We are pretty keyed on looking for a place on the south side of town. Does that sound about right, or should we look to a more central location. What are the differences (if there are any) between southwest, south, and southeast Eugene? We have a budget of up to $1600/mo. and would really like to find a place to have a small organic garden in our backyard. Do any of you know if Eugene's climate is conducive to a backyard garden and what kind of vegetables do well?

Lastly, I'm excited at the prospect of taking the train to visit friends and family in Southern California (Santa Barbara) and up in Seattle where my girlfriend's family lives. Does anyone have experience taking either of these two Amtrak trips and whether they are better alternatives to driving (the one to Santa Barbara is about 25 hours and Seattle 7 hours).

Anyway, thanks for listening and we look forward to adding our hue to what sounds like a vibrant community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM

9 posts, read 14,034 times
Bump.

Another question I have (I know it may sound silly) but is there some good karaoke in Eugene? I'm not talking about karaoke with drunken college kids singing in large groups but fun and laid back karaoke. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but just curious if anyone knows any good spots.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,505,820 times
I would live somewhere near 30th avenue, the main road to LCC. Very nice mostly affordable south eugene neighborhood, still close to everything.

I have done the amtrak trips, they are nice. If you don't mind sitting on the train for that long. The scenery is great.

don't know about karaoke bars, they probably exist though.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,041 times
LCC is a great school as I attend there as well. Also it has an awesome music program. Hope this helps

Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM

110 posts, read 153,762 times
Hey. I am from the Austin area too, and I have been attending LCC since the Fall. It is definitely more like a college than ACC, just weird that its a bit outside of town. But it is basically all at one spot, with the exception of the upcoming downtown campus, unlike ACC all over town like you mentioned. LCC is supposed to have a great music program. and for your Photography class, do not take Dan Welton. I took his class and it was boring, and his personal work is not good. Take someone other than him

You are probably already in town by now. But South Eugene and the Whitaker are my favorite places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area