U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am tentatively moving to Roseburg by Spring/Summer. I am currently a hairdresser in NJ and the wonderful state of Oregon has made it possible to get licensed by only taking their test (phew)!

So, I've been doing research and it looks as though many salons do booth rentals, which is illegal in NJ, so I have not one clue on this process. It seems like by renting a booth you would be considered an entrepreneur? In that you have to pay for supplies, tools (which i have), products, chair/station, AND taxes that a business has to pay. But how can ALL of that stuff fit into one station? lol the salons ive worked in need decent sized color/back rooms for supplies and products that can run thousands of dollars to stock due to you never know what your going to need for a new client or who will be coming in.

Also, the clientele base. Do u then hire your own receptionist? How to walk-ins work? How would you first build a clientele or pay for all of this if you have no clientele?

As you can see I am very confused lol. I keep thinking, "there has to be something Im missing."

What would a student do out of beauty school with no clientele and no money to rent a booth???

Please help! Please and thank you! -Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,162,057 times
Why don't you call a few salons in the area you are moving to and ask them these questions? You would probably get better advise than on here.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,197,311 times
You might get more responses posting on the Oregon forum and not specifically Eugene since you are going to Roseburg. I can't repond as a hairdresser, only as someone who goes to one. If you are new to the business you might want to start at a chain salon so you can build up a clientele before going to an independent shop that very well may want you to have a following. My understanding of how my hairdresser works is she rents a chair from the salon owner which in her case includes a sink. Each hairdresser has a couple of shelves with supplies that they use. There is a back room where I know towels are washed that probably also has storage. She gets paid directly by her clients and sets her own prices, pays her own taxes etc. I would imagine each owner operates a little differently from the others but the scheme is overall pretty similar.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,134 times
Ok, thank you for your reply! I will call a salon out there to see what I can find out.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM

15,269 posts, read 17,662,424 times
Perhaps you can get a job at SuperCuts in OR Yellow Pages by SuperPages

Best of Luck.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM

Super Cuts won't pay diddly. I think the best bet is to start by cold calling salons tell them you are moving to the area and need info.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 5,812,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Super Cuts won't pay diddly. I think the best bet is to start by cold calling salons tell them you are moving to the area and need info.
But don't be surprised if they treat you as they would an unwanted, cold calling telephone sales person – rudely. Not many people appreciate having their busy work days interrupted by telephone callers seeking free career advice.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 PM

9,973 posts, read 16,566,830 times
I really think she needs to explore her options in person too.

Supercuts business model probably assumes that the operator is receiving substantial tips. The PNW is not known for generous tips.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 PM

21,690 posts, read 23,533,254 times
I think you would be better off calling a beauty school. Even though you have experience and wouldn't be looking to take classes, they would be a good source for information. Here is one where I used to get my hair cut.

Portland Beauty Schools | Phagans School of Hair Design

Although they don't have a school in Roseburg, they can probably tell you how it all works in Oregon. And I think they would be more cooperative than a salon which I would think would not really want to be helpful to new hairdressers (more competition).

Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
But don't be surprised if they treat you as they would an unwanted, cold calling telephone sales person rudely. Not many people appreciate having their busy work days interrupted by telephone callers seeking free career advice.
She isn't seeking career advise. Her question was how do salons in Oregon pay their hairdressers? It seems as though most salons rent stations and she has not had any experience with station rentals so I suggested she call some salons and ask how that all works since she's from another state.

The way I look at it is if she calls and is treated rudely then that is a good sign to her she wouldn't want to work at that establishment. This may be a good way to weed out the bad salons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area