U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 38,680 times

Advertisements

i would like to move outside of eugene and not get robbed or broken into any areas to avoid or good chance most areas and i hear alot about meth heads where do they hang out i'm a little worried because i've had some problems before. help me if you can we are an older couple looking to live a quiet and peaceful life thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,165,416 times
My husband daughter lives off of Hwy 99 area and she says it's pretty bad over there as far as homeless people and drugs.

We lived off of Harlow Rd and we never had any problems as far as drug raids or homeless people. My husband also used to live in the Thurston area and it was nice also.

You may just want to look up crime stats on the internet to get a better idea of which areas to stay away from.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,095,174 times
There are some really sweet little areas on the outskirts of town. It's hard to know what would work for you, though, without knowing what you're looking for: Apartment? Land? Cabin in the woods? Buying a condo?

We have kids so we currently live in the northern part of Eugene (Cal Young area: north of Beltline, east of the Willamette...) because when we first moved to Eugene about 8 or 9 years ago we felt these were the better schools. It is a very safe area with housing to fit many various incomes. Very low crime - among the lowest in the Eugene-Springfield area - and is a very walkable and beautiful area. The bus in this area makes it super easy to get around without a car, plus we have tons of bike paths (and the area is flat which also makes it good for biking) and there are lots of banks, grocery stores, etc. so we hardly ever have to leave our area to get errands done and such. Costco is in this area as well.

Anyway - good luck with your search and if you let us know more specifically what you'll need perhaps we can offer some better suggestions.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Default thanks to all in advance

thanks for the info looking to rent a house outside of town in country if that is possible are there any outlying towns with crime problems?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

What is the budget like? I would not recommend going east or west out of town. Each has it's own set of problems. It's sad because Veneta used to be sort of nice, but lately not so much.

North or south out of town is probably your best bet.

I would google for property management companies in the Eugene area and start looking that way. Perhaps call them and see if they know of something. Places like:

Property management by Chinook, Eugene, Oregon

Pioneer Property Management, Inc. - Pioneers in Property Management

Emerald Property Management, Inc.

There are lots of them... happy hunting!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
My husband daughter lives off of Hwy 99 area and she says it's pretty bad over there as far as homeless people and drugs.
My husband works off of 99 - his office is probably south of you because it's closer to the area they call "four corners"... the police are constantly at his office asking to view their video survellance tapes because of crime and stuff going down. His office looks more like a prison because they have it surrounded and protected by one of those barbed-wire electrified type fences, with cameras for surveillance all over the place. Property is super cheap over there, though... but for a reason...

Yep hwy 99 is a sketchy area. I do not recommend that area, either.

Going north out of Eugene via either River Road or Coburg Rd., though, you can find some nice rural-feeling sort of areas that have little farms and that country feeling. There are parts of Coburg (town just maybe 5 minutes north of Eugene) that area really sweet.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 PM

31 posts, read 50,886 times
It really depends on where you'd like to live and what your budget is. Within the city limits in any city there will be crime, but of course some areas are more prone to it than others. Depending on how far out you want to be is another factor to consider. There are great areas in South Eugene and even in the city limits! Some beautiful properties! I'm a realtor in Eugene and I'd be happy to help you find something if you'd like to contact me. charlene at loveyourproperty dot com

Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,165,416 times
When we lived in Springfield our property managment company was great! If we come back to Oregon we will probably rent from them for a while before buying. Below is the link

NORTHWOODS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT

I know that they sometimes get rural properties, you may want to call them and have them put you on a list if any come up.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Default renting outside of town

am looking between 700-1000 small modest country house have not really felt the need to use a property co. find renting from an individual alot better especially when you are a good renter and leave the property better than when you came really unhappy to hear veneta isn't that nice whats up with springfield doesn't seem very popular with most people on here what is the fight between eugene and springfield. how's cottage grove or junction city again thanks for you time we are in our 50=60's don't want to move somewhere and get robbed thanks not that can't happen anywhere,
we have lived in calistoga ca, boulder and hannibal mo

Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Well don't just take my word on Veneta... maybe it's OK? We just know a police officer who used to live out there, but recently moved his family into Eugene because according to him and his wife it's not as great as it used to be. But being a police officer, he might just be way more sensitive to things than other people? I dunno. Check it out for yourself... don't just take someone on the internet's word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area