U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM

13 posts, read 38,622 times

Advertisements

i would like information on the areas of eugene that homeless camp i have seen some places on but nobody talks about where in town they live looking to move to the area and would like to rent in an area without people living in my yard and crapping there. I am not a hater i have helped the homeless and been there myself my husband and i may be on the street some day too
just wouldn't want to walk up on them alone walking
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 AM

297 posts, read 639,842 times
In any larger city you are going to see homeless people from time to time in any "level ground" city areas. More so in business areas and parks.

But you don't see them in affluent hilly residential areas. Difficult to push those shopping carts up those hills!

In Eugene that would be the hilly areas of Southeast Eugene. Although in that area you will be bombarded every weekday morning by the work crews which work in those areas. Gardeners and their leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and hedge trimmers. Construction workers constantly fixing this or changing that. And tons of service people fixing all those gadgets!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM

6,011 posts, read 13,070,004 times
OP - when the weather is nice, bike the riverpath along the Willamette river. Bingo!

They love bridges. Or rather, nesting underneath bridges.

Doing a little geocaching in Eugene you'll also prolly find a few homeless camps. We did. It's kind of why we don't geocache in Eugene much anymore, or if we do, we're very particular about the areas in which we hunt.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM

122 posts, read 286,336 times
The homeless here get really awesome services, plus the crazy liquor laws make it hard for them to get booze, so for an area with such a huge transient population, Eugene really doesn't suffer the ills you would expect. I live in bum central and it's not that bad.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
The homeless here get really awesome services, plus the crazy liquor laws make it hard for them to get booze, so for an area with such a huge transient population, Eugene really doesn't suffer the ills you would expect. I live in bum central and it's not that bad.
What crazy liquor laws?

Have you been around some of the homeless camps? There are always empty beer cans and glass alcohol bottles in amongst the trash and human piles of waste around their nests. I call them nests, anyway.

You might be referring to the exclusion zone downtown, maybe?

I'll agree though about the services. The people here do cater to the homeless. In fact, they seem to care more about the homeless than they do about their public schools or police department. It is a very strange city, it is. I do love it here... but I've lived a lot of places and I have to say... Eugene is a bit upside down and backwards compared to most.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM

122 posts, read 286,336 times
You can't sell liquor in regular stores here, and obviously the liquor stores are zoned to make them difficult for poor people to get to. I don't know about the exclusion zone but I do know I have to drive to get hard liquor. This makes it much harder for bums to get drunk; they can't spare change and buy booze all in the same small area.

I haven't been around any homeless camps, why would I? But in every other place I've ever lived with as many visible homeless people, litter and vomit and feces are EVERYWHERE, not just in their camps. The bums don't smell as bad here either.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,948,381 times
they drink malt beer mostly, cheaper than hard liquor

the other stuff you are talking about is here too, I have had to deal with it many times.

Camps are usually near downtown or the river. There are a bunch in the Glenwood/unincorporated area, actual tent cities. There used to be a big, semi-permanent camp underneath the I-5 overpass near Glenwood but it got evicted for construction. I think there was also one on the tracks near hwy 99 that got evicted. There are also a fair amount of people who live in vans/campers that just park in different areas. Mostly the farther from downtown the less you will find.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
You can't sell liquor in regular stores here, and obviously the liquor stores are zoned to make them difficult for poor people to get to. I don't know about the exclusion zone but I do know I have to drive to get hard liquor. This makes it much harder for bums to get drunk; they can't spare change and buy booze all in the same small area.

I haven't been around any homeless camps, why would I? But in every other place I've ever lived with as many visible homeless people, litter and vomit and feces are EVERYWHERE, not just in their camps. The bums don't smell as bad here either.
You don't have to drive to get anything in Eugene. The bums/homeless use the bus or walk or some of them have bikes. My kids use the bus everyday (they are middle school/high school age) and sometimes I use the bus and I keep an eye out for that very reason. Makes me nervous. Most of the homeless people are fine, but there's always that one with mental issues you need to watch out for. Oregon state closed quite a few mental hospitals quite a few years ago and the patients who had family went home and the ones that didn't were simply turned out. It was not a good thing - you can read more about it online if you google.

I'm not sure if the homeless get free bus passes or what? But they do use the bus.

Also - the river trail cuts right through Eugene and the northern part of it goes right to River Rd. where you'll find liquor. Along the trail itself, are little enclaves where you'll find homeless camps. They go to River Rd., beg, buy whatever their poison is, go back to their nests, and booze up.

When the kids and I first moved to Eugene, we used to spend hours and hours riding that part of the river trail all the way from Alton Baker Park (where there were always bums) up through to Beltline (where you can find Pluto - part of the scaled model of Eugene's solar system ). This was like around 2003 - 2007'ish. Then we moved to Seattle for a year. (yuck.)

We came back to Eugene a year later, and we noticed a lot more bums and homeless people on "our" part of the river trail. At this point, it's rather creepy and we don't ride it much anymore. SOme of the bums have been aggressive - a few we encountered tried to push one of my kids off his bike!! He played like he was joking around - but we didn't find it funny.

Personally I think the increase in the number of bums on the upper northern end of the river trail has something to do with a number of things: the introduction and actual enforcement of the downtown exclusion zone, the choice of stores down in the Whiteaker area not to sell hard liquor (it was an experiment that they said worked) and of course the economy forcing many shelters to close up shop. So, the bums moved upriver to my neck of the woods where they can easily access the liquor on River Rd. from the river trail further north around VRC area.

There are also quite a bit more rich/affluent people up here who don't think twice about handing money out to the homeless. I have a neighbor lady who says she keeps Subway gift cards in her purse for that purpose. She explained to me that she felt if she is nice to them, they won't bother her and try to steal from her.

Anyway... personally I am tired of being bothered by homeless people just about everytime I go to the grocery store. I drive a nice car (even though it's older and paid for) and shop at Market of Choice or Safeway usually and there are always homeless people begging in those areas. They come up to you asking for handouts. It bothers me because I know Eugene does go out of its way for them - it bothers me because there I am, a woman with kids... and these men are asking me for money so they can.... get drunk? Buy smokes? It makes me feel bitter towards them.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
There are a bunch in the Glenwood/unincorporated area, actual tent cities. There used to be a big, semi-permanent camp underneath the I-5 overpass near Glenwood but it got evicted for construction.
There was a story about that in the paper. They called the place "heroin hill". The owner of the property was/is in prison so he wasn't aware of the problem, and his son wasn't doing anything about it for awhile. I'm glad to hear they are cleaning the area up. There are still youtube videos you can watch online that show the police walking through heroin hill checking on the situation.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,339,258 times
There is no place in Eugene where you will not see the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or