U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,371,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Concur. Eugene is like Eureka/Arcata at 3 X the size. I'd live there except it's colder than here.
I love Eureka/Arcata and would live there if

A. I could find a decent-enough paying job

and

B. Eureka in particular wasn't sitting on a tiny thin shelf just waiting to fall into the Pacific.

I don't base where I live or what I do with my life on fear of what may happen. Heck, you could probably use various formulae and discover the safest place in the USA for avoiding natural disasters and the day after you move there get hit by a meteorite.

But the earthquake risk is pretty high in Eureka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,095,174 times
I remember paying a lot more in taxes when we lived in California. Also it cost more to register our vehicles. One thing I love about living in Oregon is not having to pay sales tax. I also love the short lines at the DMV. We're usually in and out within 15 minutes.

Having lived in Dallas, TX, CA, and WA states I remember bringing books and toys for the kids to keep them busy... and sometimes it would take over an hour or even longer... you don't have to put up with that in Oregon. At least I've never had to in Eugene.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM

8,140 posts, read 11,041,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I love Eureka/Arcata and would live there if

A. I could find a decent-enough paying job

and

B. Eureka in particular wasn't sitting on a tiny thin shelf just waiting to fall into the Pacific.

I don't base where I live or what I do with my life on fear of what may happen. Heck, you could probably use various formulae and discover the safest place in the USA for avoiding natural disasters and the day after you move there get hit by a meteorite.

But the earthquake risk is pretty high in Eureka.
The Earthquake risk is high anywhere along a fault which includes most of California. That goes for any "shelf" . Of course you've heard the story about the cop who moved to Klamath Falls to get away from the Big One and hsi first day at work they had an earthquake in KF. Agreed, you can't live that way.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,376,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Concur. Eugene is like Eureka/Arcata at 3 X the size. I'd live there except it's colder than here.
And it's not in California.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM

4,762 posts, read 10,993,494 times
Giant Burger in Springfield...
Burgers from 1/6 pound to 1 pound!
PIG OUT SPOTS: Giant Burger (Springfield, OR)

Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,095,174 times
Thought of another one thing (hee hee) I love about Eugene: it's really super easy to find what you need locally. Whether it's food, clothing, good brew, musical instruments, or like us recently: a bed. There is usually someone right here who makes what you need using locally or at least ethically/sustainably sourced materials. It's so very cool. I like to do my part to keep junk, crap, stuff, and trash out of the ocean gyres... (container ships do horrible things to the oceans and the living things in them... which of course also affects our coastlines...)

Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM

8,140 posts, read 11,041,171 times
Default Favorite thing in Eugene?

Oh, I've just gotta say it. The Cherry Blossom cocktails at the Red Agave.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM

8,001 posts, read 14,376,523 times
The downtown market.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 7,304 times
BUMP! Just wanted resurrect this thread as my family and I are considering a move to OR in the next 5 years and I want to learn more about Eugene. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM

920 posts, read 1,525,887 times
Sundance Market, Red Barn Market, and the best dive bar in Oregon, Tiny Tavern. What sucks are the thousands of teenagers who make up the U of O. Sorry, can't get down with the overwhelming party vibe close to the school. And as nice as Eugene may be, Corvallis has a much nicer and more authentic downtown district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or