U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 AM

30 posts, read 87,952 times

Advertisements

Yep... we are a small family of Portlandians relocating to Eugene.
I'm an artist and my hubby is a musician. We have 2 children who are home schooled.
For the past year we were stuck in Albuquerque, NM because of a job transfer, BUT...THANK GOD..we are now being transferred back to the NW!!!!
I am SOoOOooo happy to be moving back home!
Love the sun in NM, but we are not desert dwellers. We need water.

So yeah, we've visited Eugene a lot. Very beautiful and full of creativity.
The country side is so inviting. I love the fact that the area is full of Organic alternatives.
We've also gone to the OCF, Eugene celebrations and farmers markets. It's great.
The atmosphere seems a bit more chilled out than PDX. I love PDX, but lately, it seems that more Californians are moving in and making it uptight. (JMO)

So, since we are actually "moving" instead of "visiting" Eugene... my question is... Homeschooling. I've done plenty of searches for homeschooling in the area and it seems that most home schoolers in the area are "Christan" based. I have nothing against Christians, but there are requirements to join some groups and I don't seem to meet those requirements. ;(
If I don't do Church, and don't believe exactly they way they do, it doesn't look like I will be able to join many homeschool groups. Does anyone know of any home school groups that are NOT religious based? Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM

12,076 posts, read 12,404,296 times
You shouldn't have much trouble finding non-Christians to associate with, though as you have realized, many Christians try to keep their children as far away from wicked heathens as possible.

There's a list of homeschooling resources at

Oregon Support Groups- Home Education Magazine – HEM - Homeschooling Support Groups | Homeschooling Support Groups

The Homeschool Buyers Co-op lists several field trips in the Eugene area:

Field Trips of Oregon - Homeschool Buyers Co-op

Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 PM

122 posts, read 286,677 times
I haven't found any secular homeschooling groups, and the Christian ones are, uh, uptight, yes. I hear there are unschoolers in the sticks who host stuff but I am too uptight for them.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,954,041 times
Isn't the idea of homeschooling that you teach them yourselves? When did it become a school you send your kids to?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Yeah, why on earth would humans want to spend time around other humans who share their childrearing values. INSANE.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM

It was a genuine question. I'm out of the loop.

I thought homeschooling meant you taught the kids yourselves, that's all.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM

And you think homeschoolers never want to go to the zoo with other kids or play dodgeball?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM

So you teach them at home and you call up these groups so they can meet other kids? OK, that makes sense.

No need for all the attitude.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,095,174 times
Homeschoolers get together with other homeschoolers so that their kids have opportunities to play with other kids. It's one way they attempt to deal with that pesky "socialization" issue.

We homeschooled in Texas for a few years when our first son was very young. It was great - but lonely. Back then (90's) it was all Christian, especially being in Texas, and we weren't religious at all. (Hubby was raised Buddhist and I ran away from my pseudo-Christian upbringing many years prior.) They included us, which was generous and kind of them, but of course they also kept inviting us to their churches. lol

Homeschooling is so common now that I would think you would have an easier time finding secular groups, especially in Eugene... especially in the PNW. Good luck!

Also - do you know about ORVA and ORCA? You can meet families this way, too... technically I'm not sure you could call it homeschooling, it's tuition-free online accredited public school.

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/or...hool/home.aspx

http://www.k12.com/orva/

Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Despite the numbers, Eugene is not an easy place to make homeschooling connections. It's very, very polarized; people are either extreme, child-led unschoolers or they're extremely, extremely conservative. I strongly, strongly advise the OP to keep up your friendships with people in PDX, plan on seeking social connections through shared activities and interests other than homeschooling, and if you want a co-op or group you're going to have to start one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area