U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Oregon & Sunsites Arizona
8,001 posts, read 14,376,523 times
Reputation: 2768

Advertisements

Well I moved from Coos County were only the Californians didn't own a gun. And you may think it is cool but you don't live there. Like any neighborhoos (neighborhood), if you don't fit, you will not be happy, and this is a counter culture/hippie/drop out community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Bend, OR
1,337 posts, read 2,764,881 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Well I moved from Coos County were only the Californians didn't own a gun.
I'm really not trying to sound snarky, but it's going to come of that way anyway.....if we all based our knowledge on what was in front of us/what we experienced, solely, we'd be in a world of hurt. Not to say I don't do it, but come on.......

Oregon has, based on a pro-gun forum, 39.8% gun ownership. The other 60.2% aren't all Californians. I mean....I don't own a gun and I was born in Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
And you may think it is cool but you don't live there. Like any neighborhoos (neighborhood), if you don't fit, you will not be happy, and this is a counter culture/hippie/drop out community.
That's fair. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Oregon & Sunsites Arizona
8,001 posts, read 14,376,523 times
Reputation: 2768
Maryland doesn't count. We know how they feel about Guns. Almost 40% is a major amount of gun ownership. Not on topic but relevant for a predominantly liberal socialist town. Of course the other 60% are not from California if you want to be literal, but I'll wager 100% of the Whitaker residents fall into the aforementioned categories or have no choice because it is one of the cheapest places to live in Eugene short of under a bridge (which is also common). It has always been that way since I came here first in 1947 and later in 1963.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 11,794,350 times
Reputation: 1576
Sorry to interrupt here, but when I moved to Eugene in 1998, I looked at a place near the Whitaker neighborhood. The Eugene natives at my place of employment were quick to point me in a different direction. Granted, this was 14 years ago, but I doubt much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Bend, OR
1,337 posts, read 2,764,881 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]Maryland doesn't count. We know how they feel about Guns. Almost 40% is a major amount of gun ownership. Not on topic but relevant for a predominantly liberal socialist town. Of course the other 60% are not from California if you want to be literal
Almost 40% is not a major amount of gun ownership, comparably. It is the middle of the pack in relation to the rest of the states. Again, take a look at the statistics: Percent of Firearms Ownership by State


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Gun ownership is pretty much the norm [except for the California transplants]
This was your original statement. Excluding the California remark, which I knew what you meant (I used a '' to show I was joking round), it is still false.

40% gun ownership is not a norm. A stronger argument is on the side of the non-gun owning majority, 60%, but, personally, I wouldn't consider that a norm, either.

There really isn't an argument here. There are more non-gun owning than gun owning Oregonians by a sizable margin.
---

Now, whether or not the OP will like the Whiteaker.....THAT'S opinion based.

Good luck to the OP! Hope you find what you're looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM
 
122 posts, read 286,677 times
Reputation: 169
I live in the Whiteaker, it is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,954,041 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Sorry to interrupt here, but when I moved to Eugene in 1998, I looked at a place near the Whitaker neighborhood. The Eugene natives at my place of employment were quick to point me in a different direction. Granted, this was 14 years ago, but I doubt much has changed.
Actually, it has changed quite a bit, it is now the "in" neighborhood.

It is a mixture of hippie types, poor people, hip young people, and just regular people. If you are looking for a quiet suburban area then whiteaker is not it, but if you are looking for somewhere with a bit more interesting then whiteaker would be a good place to look. Honestly I would not worry about the crime, there are only a handful of areas I would advise to avoid at night and plenty of normal people live there just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 11,794,350 times
Reputation: 1576
Interesting perspective. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Oregon & Sunsites Arizona
8,001 posts, read 14,376,523 times
Reputation: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Actually, it has changed quite a bit, it is now the "in" neighborhood.

It is a mixture of hippie types, poor people, hip young people, and just regular people. If you are looking for a quiet suburban area then whiteaker is not it, but if you are looking for somewhere with a bit more interesting then whiteaker would be a good place to look. Honestly I would not worry about the crime, there are only a handful of areas I would advise to avoid at night and plenty of normal people live there just fine.
I think that is what I said. Except for the regular people, and that is not just an opinion. There is most likely not one "Regular" person in Whitaker unless they are impoverished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,954,041 times
Reputation: 2145
Regular compared to who? You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top